Edmonton Football Team 2020 v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Gerry should be okay with the unceremonious releasing of Mandrusiak. It goes along with the unceremonious releasing of the name of the team. Both of them cast by the wayside callously. I convinced there will be lots more to come in cancelling the culture of this team, this league, and our world. Some people out there say, "hey, 10 years from now, you won't even blink at these changes." I disagree. I think we'll say "what the hell were we thinking?" The baby went out with the bathwater.

We don't have to read between the lines much. The same airlifted in CEO from Oklahoma that doesn't know a thing about what this org and identity has meant to Edmonton strips away all the history. New coats of paint everywhere. Whitewash everything, and removal of those with longest connections to the club all part of that. "moving forward" Thats the dumbed down saturation bombing we're hearing everywhere. Remember, the past doesn't exist. Erase history. So this team doesn't now either. It cancelled itself.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bang on....history erased.

The name change has already happened (they got what they wanted) but even in retrospect you can't mention the team name...just ridiculous. "Once an Edmonton Football Clubber always an Edmonton Football Clubber."

I wonder if Gerry and the Journal will go to the CBC and demand that all reference to the Eskimo name be edited from the sound track of 50 years of football coverage? Who knew that Pat Marsden and Johnny Esaw were so insensitive? Shame on those guys.

At least Gerry might get punted now. Won't cry over that.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
At least Gerry might get punted now. Won't cry over that.

As long as you play along with the narrative you can't be punted for any reason. He's part of the Iveson playbook and will always have a job.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its kind of weird that the best fall we've had in ages is Covid-19 time. Probably the best football weather we've ever had for a summer. We got through tons of rain in May, June, but sometime in July things turned around. Reports from Banff saying its the best weather there anybody remembers.

In anycase cute how the twitter just says Sask Edmonton. no references to the team names. Odder still that Morley is reminiscing games when the team doesn't even have a name.

A Horse with no name? Nah, not riding it.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Its kind of weird that the best fall we've had in ages is Covid-19 time. Probably the best football weather we've ever had for a summer. We got through tons of rain in May, June, but sometime in July things turned around. Reports from Banff saying its the best weather there anybody remembers.

In anycase cute how the twitter just says Sask Edmonton. no references to the team names. Odder still that Morley is reminiscing games when the team doesn't even have a name.

A Horse with no name? Nah, not riding it.
Actually CFL & EEFC have always the city/province abbreviations, not the team names in their schedules.

I too miss CFL football and going to Commonwealth to watch games and support our team. Saturday would have been an amazing day !!

Covid sucks.
Wash your hands.
Wear a mask.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Mainly because 30k would've been Roughrider fans
It's heartening given my current high rate of dissatisfaction with the Edmonton Football Team that I feel the need to correct this false narrative that you & delusional Sask fans love to perpetuate. As someone who's seen 90% of their games here since 1971 I can assure you that they've never been close to being the majority at Commonwealth, let alone 3/4 of the crowd.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's heartening given my current high rate of dissatisfaction with the Edmonton Football Team that I feel the need to correct this false narrative that you & delusional Sask fans love to perpetuate. As someone who's seen 90% of their games here since 1971 I can assure you that they've never been close to being the majority at Commonwealth, let alone 3/4 of the crowd.
Would've probably been the case this year as seems like EFT has pissed off a good chunk of their fans

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Would've probably been the case this year as seems like EFT has pissed off a good chunk of their fans
The name change and (especially) the horrible mishandling of Dwayne Mandrusiak's dismissal has pissed off this fan too. Still, like the other 4 people on our season ticket account, I will be returning when the CFL starts up again. The vast majority of others with season seats that I've spoken to will be doing the same.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Mainly because 30k would've been Rough Rider fans

That's fake news. The number of Sask fans at Commonwealth was always overstated. Yes, there usually were a lot of them, but the fact that they are so loud compared to Esks fans always makes it seem like there are more than there actually are.

Weekend games you'd typically see 10-15K Sask fans in the better years, with there being a couple years (like the sellout game) where that number may have been a bit higher because the Riders Fan Wagon was especially full due to the quality of their team, but the building always had significantly more EE fans than Rider fans.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The name change and (especially) the horrible mishandling of Dwayne Mandrusiak's dismissal has pissed off this fan too. Still, like the other 4 people on our season ticket account, I will be returning when the CFL starts up again. The vast majority of others with season seats that I've spoken to will be doing the same.
Same here. But our friends did give up their two. We might buy for our kids though to make up those lost two tickets.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
That's fake news. The number of Sask fans at Commonwealth was always overstated. Yes, there usually were a lot of them, but the fact that they are so loud compared to Esks fans always makes it seem like there are more than there actually are.

Weekend games you'd typically see 10-15K Sask fans in the better years, with there being a couple years (like the sellout game) where that number may have been a bit higher because the Riders Fan Wagon was especially full due to the quality of their team, but the building always had significantly more EE fans than Rider fans.
I'd say your numbers are quite accurate. People don't realize that Sask fans who show up at Commonwealth are pretty much all wearing their ugly green gear. That means EVERYONE else who's there is not a Riders fan- not only those wearing EE stuff.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I hope its not due to illness but I don't think Ed ever lasts too long anywhere. The Lions made a real mistake in hiring this guy.

As stated by several people here before, the Rhodes/Hervey combo was toxic all the way around and I don't think the attitude went over too well with owner Braley in B.C. either.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I hope its not due to illness but I don't think Ed ever lasts too long anywhere. The Lions made a real mistake in hiring this guy.

As stated by several people here before, the Rhodes/Hervey combo was toxic all the way around and I don't think the attitude went over too well with owner Braley in B.C. either.

Maybe he sees the writing on the wall here as far as league stability and will take a more stable job down south.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I think the Lions biggest mistake was signing Rick Lelacheur. He is the main architect of all the garbage and signings here, and it looks like he's doing it in B.C as well.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think the Lions biggest mistake was signing Rick Lelacheur. He is the main architect of all the garbage and signings here, and it looks like he's doing it in B.C as well.

True, he is the guy who ultimately oversaw many of the bad hires that were made in the igloo.

Looking at the CFL in general and of course the team itself, I really can't see a way out of this mess.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Rick's legacy will forever be allowing Danny Maciocia to drive the franchise into the sewer. How David Bradley ever thought hiring him in BC was a smart move is unclear.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Rick's legacy will forever be allowing Danny Maciocia to drive the franchise into the sewer. How David Bradley ever thought hiring him in BC was a smart move is unclear.

It certainly seemed to mark the beginning of a very long decline.

It was painfully obvious to most Eskimo fans that DM, RH, KR and JM were simply not head coaching material but for some reason there was so much hesitation and confusion within the igloo regarding the talents of these people.

Hiring ET when fans were dead set against it was another painful blow to the prestige of the club.

There is no single event that defines the decline but the nadir was probably that Maas call in the Western Final where a lot of fans threw their hands up in the air and said ---where is credibility? EE upper management and the media staunchly defended the call despite the fact that it made headlines all over North America.

I think things really took a dive after that in terms of fans' faith in the team. It seems to me that we passed a certain signpost marked "warning no exit."

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

It was painfully obvious to most Eskimo fans that DM, RH, KR and JM were simply not head coaching material but for some reason there was so much hesitation and confusion within the igloo regarding the talents of these people.

Hiring ET when fans were dead set against it was another painful blow to the prestige of the club.

There is no single event that defines the decline but the nadir was probably that Maas call in the Western Final where a lot of fans threw their hands up in the air and said ---where is credibility? EE upper management and the media staunchly defended the call despite the fact that it made headlines all over North America.

I think things really took a dive after that in terms of fans' faith in the team. It seems to me that we passed a certain signpost marked "warning no exit."
The end of the line for the franchise, IMO, was when Hugh Campbell started losing control of the team. I’m not sure if Hugh was too old to do his job effectively the last few years or if there was some kind of power struggle with the board but that’s around the time all the bad decisions began and they never really ended. Their credibility has been steadily eroding since then.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The end of the line for the franchise, IMO, was when Hugh Campbell started losing control of the team. I’m not sure if Hugh was too old to do his job effectively the last few years or if there was some kind of power struggle with the board but that’s around the time all the bad decisions began and they never really ended. Their credibility has been steadily eroding since then.

Yes, even before DM we had Higgins who (I am told) sowed a lot of discourse in the dressing room and of course before that we had an actual football coach in Don Matthews who had some sort of mega- melt down with Hugh. It's hard to pinpoint the inflection point but we certainly had one.

Yup, we were totally spoiled in the Kimball-Campbell era and never knew how good we had it.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Sadly a book could be written by this point detailing two decades of incompetence. The silver lining being that in an 8/9 team league that usually had three other franchises doing the same stupid things, the odd championship still occurred. Perhaps Maas could write the foreword...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad