Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread | reg season starts... 6-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Have to think Maas's days with the organization would be numbered now, as the new GM usually gets his own guy. Unless he's told to keep Maas there, or likes Maas to begin with.

Well, since you can't replace him this year, the GM will have a full season to deal with Maas at least. That's something.

After that is anyone's guess.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Ed was the real deal

Ed Hervey would never have been mistaken for Robin Williams but he knew football and produced a winner in very short order.

Most guys on the thread won't remember Norm Kimball (GM for the 77-82 five in a row EE club) but he wasn't exactly a PR genius either. Nonetheless he consistently put outstanding football talent on the field. "Nice Norm" as he was sarcastically called by the media wasn't interested in political correctness but that didn't get in the way of success.

To me this Rhodes guy is your standard marketing flow chart loving, politically correct middle management executive that is all too common in the corporate world. I couldn't stand listening to that "five year plan" stuff he was chirping about at the presser.

The reason that Rhodes was hired as President (over Fleming) was that he was supposedly a marketing/PR guru so why didn't he handle that and let Hervey handle football? I also note that attendance was down around the league last year and it had nothing to do with Ed.

The timing is very suspect and I wonder if players will be thinking twice about signing in Edmonton. I hope not.

Sigh-- DM, Tillman, Reed and Rhodes-- the drab four:laugh:

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I wish they'd stop calling the esks a "Community owned" team. Find some other term. The real community, as in the fans and the people of Edmonton, have as much to do with the running of this team as they do the oilers, which is jack ****.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
This move was all about marketing and sales and off field stuff

but isn't Rhodes the one in charge of all that? maybe Hervey should have stayed and Rhodes got the boot.
Hervey is supposed to put a competitive team on the field and Rhodes was supposed to fill the seats. seems in the last few years, the marketing is what has sucked the most for the team.

look at this last year. they did almost nothing to enhance the in game experience.
building a stand up so called party platform in the endzone area. and a couple of halftime band where the two songs they played sucked, or the sound sucked.

I could do a better job just by promising to throw more mini footballs into the crowd.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
interesting tweet:

Crazy news out of Eskimo land. I wonder if giving pay cuts to a lot of veteran players had anything to do with it.
— Nathan Coehoorn (@NateCoehoorn) April 7, 2017

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Atta boy Len...drive this team right into the ground. You know you're up to it. :shakehead

Jones is probably laughing his ass off right about now.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I stole this from hugoagogo on riderfans, and totally agree with at they have to say.

Some comments from a couple ex-Eskimos via Esksfans.com

Sean Fleming
Let's be clear, this move was strictly all about Rhodes' ego and the negotiations to extend Ed's contract which were initiated by the organization.

- Ed was looking to be paid market rate for GMs in the league, which is a reasonable ask, given his success and how he handled the staff exodus last season. Rhodes took issue with that since it would mean Ed would be making more than Rhodes, a point he raised with Ed.
- Ed was looking for a bump up in title to President of Football Operations. That didn't sit well with Rhodes.
- Rhodes didn't like the fact that Terry Jones was publically calling Rhodes weak by stating that football ops was running the show in Edmonton and across the league.

In the meantime, attendance continues to drop under Rhodes' leadership on the business side. This coming from a guy who brought you the concert series with Vanilla Ice as a way to increase attendance. To blame that on Ed when he is putting a winning product on the field is an attempt to pass the buck.

All the rest of the excuses Rhodes is trying to peddle is just an attempt to backfill. Why entering into negotiations to extend if you have been looking to replace him since January? A total contradiction.

Andrew Nowacki
Listening to this schmuck on the radio from Fort Lauderdale...sad sad day. I will always be an Eskimo, but I cannot support someone like Len Rhodes who first approved the Ricky Ray trade, and now this. Winning puts butts in the seats which means money for the organization.
"We gotta do more than win championships?" Really?
Drop your *%&$ BOD and get rid of this guy. If I were a resident and a stakeholder in the organization, I would be demanding change from the very top. There's the problem.
I feel bad for Maas now. Again...this organization was so close to becoming and MAINTAINING an elite level with a strong GM, strong HC...too bad the people with the most control have the least amount of knowledge when it comes to football product.
I also feel bad for the fans - how can you ask for their continued full support when all you do is change the pieces of the puzzle...the PROPER pieces of the puzzle.
You can give access to the product without treating the coaches and players like cattle - they are not there for exploitation.

Get your *%^# together Eskimo organization. Len should have gone when Tillman was fired...and if the Board did give their full approval...they can all go too.
#B.O.N.E.
Andrew Nowacki #88 2004-2011

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
my last post from the other thread.

I went over to riderfans.
there is a guy the Rider_Stronson that seems to be a legit insider, with the info he often has.
he said
"Multiple sources: Hervey's impossible to get along with in a long term situation. I think Len Rhoades had enough to be honest. "
Believe me, there's a ton to this. But I think the Esks will minimize it to "irreconcilable personal professional differences."

If this was a long time coming, makes me wonder why they didn't fight to keep Jones and let Hervey go.
must be some serious back stabbing and clashing of egos in the management team.

just bizarre

Probably because as bad as the optics look now, it would have looked even worse to fire Hervey right after winning the GC.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I stole this from hugoagogo on riderfans, and totally agree with at they have to say.

Some comments from a couple ex-Eskimos via Esksfans.com

Sean Fleming
Let's be clear, this move was strictly all about Rhodes' ego and the negotiations to extend Ed's contract which were initiated by the organization.

- Ed was looking to be paid market rate for GMs in the league, which is a reasonable ask, given his success and how he handled the staff exodus last season. Rhodes took issue with that since it would mean Ed would be making more than Rhodes, a point he raised with Ed.
- Ed was looking for a bump up in title to President of Football Operations. That didn't sit well with Rhodes.
- Rhodes didn't like the fact that Terry Jones was publically calling Rhodes weak by stating that football ops was running the show in Edmonton and across the league.

In the meantime, attendance continues to drop under Rhodes' leadership on the business side. This coming from a guy who brought you the concert series with Vanilla Ice as a way to increase attendance. To blame that on Ed when he is putting a winning product on the field is an attempt to pass the buck.

All the rest of the excuses Rhodes is trying to peddle is just an attempt to backfill. Why entering into negotiations to extend if you have been looking to replace him since January? A total contradiction.

Andrew Nowacki
Listening to this schmuck on the radio from Fort Lauderdale...sad sad day. I will always be an Eskimo, but I cannot support someone like Len Rhodes who first approved the Ricky Ray trade, and now this. Winning puts butts in the seats which means money for the organization.
"We gotta do more than win championships?" Really?
Drop your *%&$ BOD and get rid of this guy. If I were a resident and a stakeholder in the organization, I would be demanding change from the very top. There's the problem.
I feel bad for Maas now. Again...this organization was so close to becoming and MAINTAINING an elite level with a strong GM, strong HC...too bad the people with the most control have the least amount of knowledge when it comes to football product.
I also feel bad for the fans - how can you ask for their continued full support when all you do is change the pieces of the puzzle...the PROPER pieces of the puzzle.
You can give access to the product without treating the coaches and players like cattle - they are not there for exploitation.

Get your *%^# together Eskimo organization. Len should have gone when Tillman was fired...and if the Board did give their full approval...they can all go too.
#B.O.N.E.
Andrew Nowacki #88 2004-2011

The good news is that now Rhodes has put his own neck on the line. And if he doesn't find a good replacement as GM (he won't), he'll be fired himself.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
to think we could have had Sean Fleming and not Rhodes running the team. ~sigh~
I have to look up what idiots are on the BOD for the esks.

Yup. Biggest mistake made in Eskimo's history (well sitter hands probably was a bigger one).

Ketchup boy may have sunk back into years of suck. There is no other guy out there as qualified as a GM and as dedicated to the Eskimo way as Hervey. I see no way that this ends well.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
sucks that thy did this after season ticket renewals, the dirty cheating organization.
I wouldn't have renewed my tickets.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The good news is that now Rhodes has put his own neck on the line. And if he doesn't find a good replacement as GM (he won't), he'll be fired himself.

No he's got a built in excuse now. The on-field product is likely to drop and as a result, he can blame poor attendance on the next GM for the quality of team.

He's bought himself at least two more GMs. If he left Hervey there and they won again with poor ticket sales, he would have been the one in trouble.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No he's got a built in excuse now. The on-field product is likely to drop and as a result, he can blame poor attendance on the next GM for the quality of team.

He's bought himself at least two more GMs. If he left Hervey there and they won again with poor ticket sales, he would have been the one in trouble.

He's responsible for hiring a new GM. If his GM builds a crappy team, it's all on him.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
sucks that thy did this after season ticket renewals, the dirty cheating organization.
I wouldn't have renewed my tickets.

I know I hate how this team continuously does stupid things to make me want to protest, but I love the players and the game, so it would hurting myself to skip out. We need to be vocal about this. Rhodes must go.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
interesting tweet:

Crazy news out of Eskimo land. I wonder if giving pay cuts to a lot of veteran players had anything to do with it.

Has this been deleted since? Dont see it on Nates feed.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
interesting tweet:

Hopefully Coehorn was one of the guys that got pay cuts because he has underachieved and sucked for years now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Its clear that Len is willing to throw anybody under the bus to cover for his own shortcomings.
The only way Len Rhodes gets fired is if the fans put pressure on the org.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Have to think Maas's days with the organization would be numbered now, as the new GM usually gets his own guy. Unless he's told to keep Maas there, or likes Maas to begin with.

Jason won't be going anywhere this year.

As for the whole situation, why wouldn't you just let Hervey walk at the end of his deal? Did they really need this now when there are no candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad