Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread | reg season starts... 6-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Contract I can understand but why was there contract discussion 1 month before training camp? As for the "product on the field has to grow"...I have no idea what that even means.

Well, based on some tweets, they have been looking for a new GM since January.

Likely means the negotiations on a new deal started about 6 months ago.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
So they fired the GM that catapulted the team back into relevance, in April, because the media and fans were given less direct access than they were used to?

I'm not watching the presser but if that's the reason given then that is absolute insanity.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
So they fired the GM that catapulted the team back into relevance, in April, because the media and fans were given less direct access than they were used to?

I'm not watching the presser but if that's the reason given then that is absolute insanity.

I'd have to imagine the fact they could not agree on a contract was the most important factor. And it was the first item mentioned in the presser.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'd have to imagine the fact they could not agree on a contract was the most important factor. And it was the first item mentioned in the presser.
I think it was the opposite. Rhodes spent most of the press conference stumbling through his words about how important media and fan access is. Hervey still has a contract for this upcoming season, they could have done an extension during the season or next year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You could also look at it from the perspective that allowing access to the room and marketing your players better was the sticking point in negotiations for Ed?

Basically, Ed would not budge on that and other things like the mic on the coach, etc.

Doesn't seem like something that he couldn't work around...

I think that its highly suspect that this is all coming out so close to starting the season.

The timing is an absolute joke.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think it was the opposite. Rhodes spent most of the press conference stumbling through his words about how important media and fan access is. Hervey still has a contract for this upcoming season, they could have done an extension during the season or next year.

Right, but they go hand in hand.

If Hervey is asking for a big raise, it's a lot harder to give him the money if they have a lot of philosophical differences as well.

On the other hand, do you think if Ed provided more media access and accessibility to players for marketing that he would still have his job? Doesn't seem like a hill I would die on if I had his job because you can do both.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
So who's out there for potential replacements? Cant think of any other former Esks still in the biz. Old coaches? Ricky Ray:laugh:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think that its highly suspect that this is all coming out so close to starting the season.

The timing is an absolute joke.

Well yes, in an ideal world if they did not like Ed they would have fired him months ago.

Perhaps they wished to use him to recruit players for this year before, I have no idea.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
So who's out there for potential replacements? Cant think of any other former Esks still in the biz. Old coaches? Ricky Ray:laugh:

Only guy I can think of is Jim Barker, assuming no teams will let us steal their assistant GMs, which seems unlikely at best.

The issue is they also want someone that is willing to live in the community as well...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, based on some tweets, they have been looking for a new GM since January.

Likely means the negotiations on a new deal started about 6 months ago.

Well...if they knew that Hervey was as good as gone then do it in January. You dont wait until April before you make a decision.

Rhodes should be fired for the way he has handled things but we all know thats not going to happen.

This is inexcusable.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Well...if they knew that Hervey was as good as gone then do it in January. You dont wait until April before you make a decision.

Rhodes should be fired for the way he has handled things but we all know thats not going to happen.

This is inexcusable.
I agree this is beyond ridiculous.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

This is inexcusable.

Sounds like harvey wanted more power as well

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

It's Hervey, not Harvey.

If anyone needs to be fired, it's Rhodes. Complete disregard for the team or the values of winning. Fans don't go to games to watch concerts, shows, or 'gimmicks', they want a WINNING football team. I for one WILL NOT pay one CENT to the Eskimos for the lack and disregard of the team. **** Rhodes, and **** the boards ignorance.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Completely blindsided and upset to hear this news...

Hervey was a great GM. Nobody cares how friendly he is with the media, the Eskimos completely turned around under his managing.

The guy got us our franchise QB in Mike Reilly, got us Chris Jones who took us from worst to CHAMPS in 2 seasons!. Replaced him with Jason Maas who almost took us back to the GC again last season.

3 great seasons in a row (Including that wonderful GC in '15) and they fire him?

Unbelievable :shakehead

Dumb dumb move and they waited until April to do it lol

Best of luck wherever you wind up Ed and know that the fans would never have done this!

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's Hervey, not Harvey.

If anyone needs to be fired, it's Rhodes. Complete disregard for the team or the values of winning. Fans don't go to games to watch concerts, shows, or 'gimmicks', they want a WINNING football team. I for one WILL NOT pay one CENT to the Eskimos for the lack and disregard of the team. **** Rhodes, and **** the boards ignorance.
On my phone so autocorrect kicked in

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Right, but they go hand in hand.

If Hervey is asking for a big raise, it's a lot harder to give him the money if they have a lot of philosophical differences as well.

On the other hand, do you think if Ed provided more media access and accessibility to players for marketing that he would still have his job? Doesn't seem like a hill I would die on if I had his job because you can do both.
I don't agree but understand what you are saying.

I don't think more access to the players is going to result in more people going to the games though. The ticket prices continue to go up while the quality of the football goes down. That's more of the problem regarding attendance and interest in the game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Yah, that Steve Harvey guy is so power hungry, it's insane. Always wants to MC for more Miss America pageants and such.

And Ed Hervey is right up there too, for wanting power.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If Hervey was canned for not being media friendly, this is absolute crap. And as has been mentioned, why would you wait until the season is almost upon us? At least fire him for boinking a cheerleader or something juicy like that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Have to think Maas's days with the organization would be numbered now, as the new GM usually gets his own guy. Unless he's told to keep Maas there, or likes Maas to begin with.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I don't agree but understand what you are saying.

I don't think more access to the players is going to result in more people going to the games though. The ticket prices continue to go up while the quality of the football goes down. That's more of the problem regarding attendance and interest in the game.

In the end, winning is all that matters for the fans that actually follow the team. But even their marketing of the team seems to have went down substantially, and that affects the random family that goes to 1 game because of something they see or hear. That being said, that probably isn't Ed's department either.

What we have learned from past winning teams though is that you can have more access for media, coaches and players and still have a winning team.

The other issue is even Len Rhodes is accountable to someone else. If the Board says "this is how we want to the team run, no matter what, and get Ed to agree to it". And then he tries and cannot, he does not have many options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad