Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread | Offseason | Esks Fire Ed Hervey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Lions should be embarrassed, it's basically like they lost to the Riders.

I'll assume this is a sarcastic post. Eskimos are a worthy opponent and much better than seasonal record indicates.

Essentially we are worse than Calgary and not by a lot. But can beat any other team in the league. Riders 1 game result notwithstanding.

In CFL its only in the fall that results primarily matter. My take is that the Leos and Bombers have better records than football teams.

Nice to see the Esks get a break and win a close game once in awhile. We had breaks last year winning close games but its been hard knocks this year.

Beat the Bombers next week and that should be doable and we got a good chance at crossover or better.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'll assume this is a sarcastic post. Eskimos are a worthy opponent and much better than seasonal record indicates.

Essentially we are worse than Calgary and not by a lot. But can beat any other team in the league. Riders 1 game result notwithstanding.

In CFL its only in the fall that results primarily matter. My take is that the Leos and Bombers have better records than football teams.

Nice to see the Esks get a break and win a close game once in awhile. We had breaks last year winning close games but its been hard knocks this year.

Beat the Bombers next week and that should be doable and we got a good chance at crossover or better.

Don't kid yourself. This team has struggled all year long. Yes they won last night but that doesn't erase the Riders loss. Never mind that they fell behind 14-0 pretty early on. Better teams won't let them come back.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

The esks are not better than their record, they deserve the record they have.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't kid yourself. This team has struggled all year long. Yes they won last night but that doesn't erase the Riders loss. Never mind that they fell behind 14-0 pretty early on. Better teams won't let them come back.

Imagine me being a bastion of positivity in contrast to anybody's posting...;)

jk aside the only thing that matters in the CFL is making the post season. Anything happens from there.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
They basically did against the Riders. No excuse to lose to that team.

I saw the game. I also saw the previous game in which they lost to the worst CFL team of the past 20 seasons. One win doesn't change that and they were asleep early in this one. Reilly pulled them back. The defense was lousy again.
They are far from the worst team the past 20 years.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They basically did against the Riders. No excuse to lose to that team.

I saw the game. I also saw the previous game in which they lost to the worst CFL team of the past 20 seasons. One win doesn't change that and they were asleep early in this one. Reilly pulled them back. The defense was lousy again.

I thought the defence was pretty good last night, especially in the second half.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Wow, that's quite positive. Who are you and how did you hack Rep's account?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not sure what the problem is. Riders beating the Ticats was good for the Esks who are now in the running with all Eastern clubs that are playing like complete ****. The Esks might not just crossover in the East they probably end up with a better record than any of them. not that it helps them.

But the more Eastern teams sucking the better chance of the crossover period. If we even need crossover. Game next week is big.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Wait, what?:amazed:

Nope, sorry. They are what their record says they are. A mediocre, middle of the pack team. Anything more would mean our defence is not absolute shyte, right?;)

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
My opinion is between Rep's and the RockGuy's. I think we're better than our record but not much better. A win or two, sure.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wait, what?:amazed:

Nope, sorry. They are what their record says they are. A mediocre, middle of the pack team. Anything more would mean our defence is not absolute shyte, right?;)

I agree.

They are very mediocre but I did see some positive signs against BC. Really liked what I saw form the new receiver whose names escapes me at the moment.

I need to see more from this team and especially Bene before i get too optimistic. :D

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I agree.

They are very mediocre but I did see some positive signs against BC. Really liked what I saw form the new receiver whose names escapes me at the moment.

I need to see more from this team and especially Bene before i get too optimistic. :D

Brandon Zylstra.... When he auditioned at one of those tryout camps and in the regular camps he literally caught everything thrown his way. I can see him replacing Walker next season. He lept like a gazelle on that first catch.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Brandon Zylstra.... When he auditioned at one of those tryout camps and in the regular camps he literally caught everything thrown his way. I can see him replacing Walker next season. He left like a gazelle on that first catch.

Ah yes...Zylstra....thanks for that.

His athleticism really stood out for me. He definitely has a lot of potential. Looking forward to seeing more from him.

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
Brandon Zylstra.... When he auditioned at one of those tryout camps and in the regular camps he literally caught everything thrown his way. I can see him replacing Walker next season. He left like a gazelle on that first catch.

Do you think Walker is a NFL threat? I know he'll want to try out but I mean he already tried out for the NFL, was undrafted then couldn't make an atrocious Titans team. It will have been two years since that time, I dunno, I just don't see him in the NFL.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Do you think Walker is a NFL threat? I know he'll want to try out but I mean he already tried out for the NFL, was undrafted then couldn't make an atrocious Titans team. It will have been two years since that time, I dunno, I just don't see him in the NFL.

I'm not much of an NFL guy so I'm not the best one to ask. The stuff I post on our guys down there is from sources around the CFL and down south. I think Walker is a much better player now than when he tried the NFL before, so who knows. He could end up making a PR or something making way more than he earns up here.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If they go in the Peg this weekend and beat a suddenly good Bombers team, then I will believe they have turned some kind of corner. Otherwise, this past Saturday is nothing more than a burp on a bad road.

And I agree with you guys on Zylstra. He could be this years (and next) Walker (Texas Ranger).

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If they go in the Peg this weekend and beat a suddenly good Bombers team, then I will believe they have turned some kind of corner. Otherwise, this past Saturday is nothing more than a burp on a bad road.

And I agree with you guys on Zylstra. He could be this years (and next) Walker (Texas Ranger).

In terms of impact...lets hope so. :D

Although his style doesn't really remind me of Walker. He is a much bigger body and has a more rugged element to his game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Leos are better than the Bombers. Bombers have had some schedule benefit as well playing teams when they are struggling this season. For instance playing Ticats, Riders, Als when they are stone cold without a pulse. Happens sometimes that you get some schedule luck. I wouldn't put the bombers above either the Esks or Leos.

It happens, and I know you discount it, but last season the Esks probably had 203 more wins than they ultimately deserved. This season we've gotten a bit of the opposite. Make no mistake, last years Esks were much better, but on the whole this club should be around 1-2 games above .500. Even could point out which games those were that got away.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Leos are better than the Bombers. Bombers have had some schedule benefit as well playing teams when they are struggling this season. For instance playing Ticats, Riders, Als when they are stone cold without a pulse. Happens sometimes that you get some schedule luck. I wouldn't put the bombers above either the Esks or Leos.

It happens, and I know you discount it, but last season the Esks probably had 203 more wins than they ultimately deserved. This season we've gotten a bit of the opposite. Make no mistake, last years Esks were much better, but on the whole this club should be around 1-2 games above .500. Even could point out which games those were that got away.

Not discounting the so called ones that got away, but at some point, it comes down to mental fortitude and a teams ability to come through. Other than Calgary, the league is very tight this year. Will they find that mental toughness that it takes to win tight games consistently? Who knows. But losing a ton of players off that great defence really hurt. And I'm still not convinced that Bene's game plan is the one for us.

Matt Nichols is discovering what Mike Reilly found out last year. It's awful nice to have a defence that can control games and gift wrap you field position and also provide additional scoring every game. Sure makes a QB look a lot better than he actually is.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Ha, the simulations at CFL.com put an Esks-Stamps Grey Cup matchup as the third most likely scenario. It's only 8.78% likely but that's better than us getting all of those first-rounders so it could happen. Only Hamilton-Calgary and Ottawa-Calgary are more likely scenarios.

We can dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad