Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2015 Part 3 : Off to the GC!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
tbh though when is the last time Mitchell has had an excellent game? I'm seeing a lot of games where he's not getting much done. Been a little off in a lot of them this season.

In the first half he flat out missed several strikes that were open. Just didn't get the ball there. Considering the Esks were using a lot of their 3 pac rush and Mitchell had all day that's just flat out odd.

Also odd the esks would go 3 rush against Mitchell.

Starting to wonder if theres a detected injury and the Esks know he's limited right now. Something is off.

I agree he could have an issue that is affecting his play, and his throwing was off this last game.
I just don't think he should be called overrated. He is a good player and it's not just because of the team around him, although that does help.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
How would you guys feel about Jason Maas as OC one day?

I've started to think that the list of real contenders has grown a lot. I think there are five contenders with a real chance.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I've started to think that the list of real contenders has grown a lot. I think there are five contenders with a real chance.

Based on what we've had the last few years, I would accept Jason Maas's mother as the OC if that was offered up.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree. Mitchell is a very good QB. The Esks defence has taken away his weapons the last 2 times they played.

While the Eskimo offence did enough to win the game something to keep in mind is that the Esks offence dominated the time of possession on Saturday and was still only able to score 10 points.
The Esks defence was forcing 2 and out after 2 and out and despite all that prime opportunity with the ball the Esks offence only managed 1 TD. This defence is excellent but at some point the offence has to be good enough to absorb an off game...that hasnt happened yet this season.

Good post and solid points. We need to start finishing some drives. As you said, the defence can't be perfect all year long. At some point, the offence will have to step up to the plate on one of those rare off games.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
tbh though when is the last time Mitchell has had an excellent game? I'm seeing a lot of games where he's not getting much done. Been a little off in a lot of them this season.

In the first half he flat out missed several strikes that were open. Just didn't get the ball there. Considering the Esks were using a lot of their 3 pac rush and Mitchell had all day that's just flat out odd.

Also odd the esks would go 3 rush against Mitchell.

Starting to wonder if theres a detected injury and the Esks know he's limited right now. Something is off.

Calgary's O-line was decimated in the off-season, training camp and early in the 2015 season. I've lost track of all the turnover. Lost Brett Jones to the Giants, Stanley Bryant to free agency, plus others to injury who I can't think of right now. Regardless, Mitchell will not look nearly as good as last season considering all the changes. Stamps depth has really been tested.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

One day, perhaps.

In all fairness, it couldn't have been easy being the OC with losing Reilly and all the running back injuries, and a weak offensive line.
I'm willing to see what McAdoo does with a fairly healthy team down the stretch drive and playoffs before I call for his head.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
One day, perhaps.

In all fairness, it couldn't have been easy being the OC with losing Reilly and all the running back injuries, and a weak offensive line.
I'm willing to see what McAdoo does with a fairly healthy team down the stretch drive and playoffs before I call for his head.

I'm more than willing to give a guy a bit of a break if there are injuries or other factors involved. But for two years, the lack of imagination as well as some strange situational play calling is what really concerns me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm more than willing to give a guy a bit of a break if there are injuries or other factors involved. But for two years, the lack of imagination as well as some strange situational play calling is what really concerns me.

I agree. There is enough talent out there that there is zero reason to be wasting time waiting for a guy to develop as OC/DC in this league. You think the guy has talent then re-assign him within the organization. But football is a sport that can drastically change quickly, especially in the CFL where the fear of losing top talent to the NFL exists. When your window opens you need to take advantage of it.

And for the love of god what the hell happened to Friday night double headers? What is with the CFL going against HNIC and NFL football? I mean if they don't care about NFL then so be it, but DET-MTL and TOR-PIT are on during the Eskimo game. Something tells me only Alberta will be watching the CFL game.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

that is true. I can blame jones for some of that extreme situational play calling, but McAdoo does seem to suffer from a lack of imagination and has some calls that are not right for the yards needed.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Jerome Messam traded by the Riders to Calgary today. Apparently Cornish is out again - big surprise.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Jerome Messam traded by the Riders to Calgary today. Apparently Cornish is out again - big surprise.

esks management better be paying attention.
a talented running back who hates Edmonton.
quite a one-two punch if Cornish gets a bit healthier. even if he doesn't. this move by the stamps concerns me.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
esks management better be paying attention.
a talented running back who hates Edmonton.
quite a one-two punch if Cornish gets a bit healthier. even if he doesn't. this move by the stamps concerns me.

It concerns me to the extent that I'm disappointed in the Riders for making this nature of deal with Calgary.

1)Riders owe it to the their fans this year to keep something worth watching. This year, Messam was that guy.

2) Its a low blow to the Esks or any other team for the riders to go full rebuild or whatever it is they're doing and just let go the best offensive player they currently have.

That said the Esks are a fast D and know how to swarm tackle. Messam isn't as fast as Cornish and won't be as dangerous on reasonable field conditions. However, if its icy conditions a power back like Messam can make such a huge difference in an outcome.

I still don't understand why Messam isn't here.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
There is a reason Messam, who everyone acknowledges is a big talent can't stick with teams.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Messam is becoming the Kevin Glenn of running backs. On his 5th different team now (Eskimos twice) and counting. There has to be some serious baggage there for a guy with that kind of talent and size to be moved around that much.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Messam is becoming the Kevin Glenn of running backs. On his 5th different team now (Eskimos twice) and counting. There has to be some serious baggage there for a guy with that kind of talent and size to be moved around that much.

While this might be true, this trade could've simply been about SSK getting some assets in a year deemed a write off.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
While this might be true, this trade could've simply been about SSK getting some assets in a year deemed a write off.

You're probably correct, but overall, he sure seems to move around a lot for a guy of his physical stature and ability.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thing with Messam isn't that complicated. He wants the ball, a lot, and sometimes in a team concept that is frowned upon.

But lets get serious. This is the friggen Riders without Durant.

The ONLY thing that team had going for it was Messams offense and with fans even shouting. "Just give it to Messam"

The guy was effective, a punishing RB, and the Riders were not letting him see the ball nearly enough.

I mean this is Regina, George Reed, just hand the ball off, smashmouth football. When they had nothing else why not do that?

The guy is a 1000 yd rusher that complains about not getting the ball more. On a pathetic team that was giving him the ball 10 times/game and even as he averaged more than 6yds/carry.

I would have this problem on my team anytime.

As for the Riders getting assets due that at the end of the season. This isn't hockey and the trade deadline pick ups. its deplorable for the Riders to give up the one player worth watching with games still remaining in Mosaic.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Pretty simple re. Messam: you can't spell his name without 'M-E'. There's more to it than just wanting the ball- every RB or receiver wants the ball more. Don't expect any of the teams that gave Messam up to bring him back.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Pretty simple re. Messam: you can't spell his name without 'M-E'. There's more to it than just wanting the ball- every RB of receiver wants the ball more. Don't expect any of the teams that gave Messam up to bring him back.

I don't doubt it. But pro sports is all about Egos and he'd be far from the only one. So you work it and manage it.

I would say in this case the juice is worth the squeeze. If he has an attitude he'll fit well in Calgary as well for the remainder of the year.

Who knows if he might settle in, mature some more, and stamps have a legendary back field of Cornish/Messam to pound the ball next season.

If somebody is really good at what they do I don't mind a little attitude about it.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I don't doubt it. But pro sports is all about Egos and he'd be far from the only one. So you work it and manage it.

I would say in this case the juice is worth the squeeze. If he has an attitude he'll fit well in Calgary as well for the remainder of the year.

Who knows if he might settle in, mature some more, and stamps have a legendary back field of Cornish/Messam to pound the ball next season.

If somebody is really good at what they do I don't mind a little attitude about it.

That's a best-case scenario for Calgary. I liken Cornish to Ryan Getzlaf and Messam to Dustin Penner. All talented players but with widely varying commitment levels.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty simple re. Messam: you can't spell his name without 'M-E'. There's more to it than just wanting the ball- every RB or receiver wants the ball more. Don't expect any of the teams that gave Messam up to bring him back.

The really kicker for Messam isn't now, it's when his game starts to slow down. If you are good regardless of your attitude someone will take you, but once you lose that step and you are a "me" or a "jackass" teams just won't deal with you and you'll have no employment.

At least if you have NFL skill you have a better chance at get that last chance, but the CFL just doesn't have the amount of teams for this to happen.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Further to my last comment. This tends to happen when guys realize they are running out of options. Terrell Owens comes to mind of a guy that became a lot more humble in his last couple years.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

There's a difference between having an ego and being selfish.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There's a difference between having an ego and being selfish.

So explain to me how Messam was selfish and cost the Riders on the football field this year. Because I don't get it.

The only me first thing I noted was a competitor wanting to get the ball, pound the ball, and try to make something happen on a very bad team. Which the fans in the stands were thankful for.

I think sometimes theres background takes on players that never go away. Almost like typecasting.

Formerly Messam had inconsistent intensity. That was my knock on him is he wouldn't bring the same jam to each run. He used to succumb to distraction, frustration, emotional reaction. I'm not seeing that now. I'm seeing a guy who is psyched to be a bull on every run and had the best RB running average in the league at over 6yds/carry while largely going up the middle. :amazed:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So explain to me how Messam was selfish and cost the Riders on the football field this year. Because I don't get it.

The only me first thing I noted was a competitor wanting to get the ball, pound the ball, and try to make something happen on a very bad team. Which the fans in the stands were thankful for.

I think sometimes theres background takes on players that never go away. Almost like typecasting.

Formerly Messam had inconsistent intensity. That was my knock on him is he wouldn't bring the same jam to each run. He used to succumb to distraction, frustration, emotional reaction. I'm not seeing that now. I'm seeing a guy who is psyched to be a bull on every run and had the best RB running average in the league at over 6yds/carry while largely going up the middle. :amazed:

Teams don't constantly trade players like the ones you described. If he is that good, inside and outside the room, you rebuild WITH him, no without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad