Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2015 Part 3 : Off to the GC!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Beat the Stamps twice in a row. Nice.

Continue here:

If the Eskimos win in Calgary and nobody was watching did it really happen?

Who says no one's watching?

What were there, 5 or 6 posts made if that, during the entire first half? Everybody's watching the hockey game. Kept checking in here hoping for updates and they're wasn't much. Looks like I've been missing a good game, that's what I was referring to.

God damn it. Should of had that fumble.

Yeah, there is that. A win would be good.

There's a hockey game on?

Get bent 1000 times sideways, Calgary.

Well at least the Eskies won.

Two straight against Calgary. Nice!

Two down, 11 to go.

Are we allowed to believe in this team yet, doubters?

Bobo has not looked good at all in 3 games against us now.

This D has held Calgary to 27 points in 2 games in Calgary. Crazy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nice to control our own destiny. Win the rest of the games and go into the playoffs on a high note. They'll be very rested too with a pair of weeks off.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Good thing we have the Esks to cheer for seeing as the Oilers are still lousy.

Five straight wins, team starting to gain traction, first place in the West...if we weren't in the Grey Cup discussion already, we definitely are now.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Still not convinced that they will win the West, but it is nice to see that they 100% can beat Cowtown on the road.

Stamps are going to win out for sure and as an Esks fan I'm pretty scared of that date with B.C. next week

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I stepped away from the game briefly so I missed an interesting stat they showed

I believe it was the top 3 winningest coaches based on their first 40 games or so, and had Buono, Hufnagel, and Chris Jones on the list? Does anyone remember the win-loss records? Jones, I believe, was right up the list which is certainly impressive, maybe even more so considering he would probably have an even better record if not for fumbling away 2-3 games on stupid gambles

Very impressed with this team. Stafford looks like money in the end-zone. Is this guy new, I don't really know much about him, but apparently he's caught at lot of touchdowns for us this year

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not the most impressive performance ever, but it's a hell of a thing to walk into Calgary win, holding them to 11 points.

This defense is just awesome

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So can we say for once that Mike Reilly has badly outplayed his counterpart Bo Mitchell BADLY in two consecutive games. Mitchell was complete garbage in this game. Misfired on a dozen passes tonight easy.

Reilly as usual has to run for his life due to an Oline that is invisible and may as well not even be on the field and manages to be more effective than Mitchell who has all day to get the ball away.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Not the most impressive performance ever, but it's a hell of a thing to walk into Calgary win, holding them to 11 points.

This defense is just awesome

That's 43 points allowed in 3 games vs the former first place team that used to have their number. Awesome indeed.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
So can we say for once that Mike Reilly has badly outplayed his counterpart Bo Mitchell BADLY in two consecutive games. Mitchell was complete garbage in this game. Misfired on a dozen passes tonight easy.

Reilly as usual has to run for his life due to an Oline that is invisible and may as well not even be on the field and manages to be more effective than Mitchell who has all day to get the ball away.

As somebody on esksfans.com aptly put it: #Boverated

Pretty or not, Mike Reilly is a straight-up winner.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This team so reminds me of the Baltimore Ravens way back when. We have their defence, and Reilly is our version of Trent Dilfer. Just manage the game and let the D win it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Huh?? Not counting the first game but in this one....

Reilly was 29 for 40 for 262 yards with a TD and 2 picks.
Mitchell was 17 for 32 for 230 yards with a TD and 2 picks.

And we won by 4 points. That is about as close as you can get.

I'd say that's hardly badly outplaying the other guy. The hyperbole is a bit much at this point.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Huh?? Not counting the first game but in this one....

Reilly was 29 for 40 for 262 yards with a TD and 2 picks.
Mitchell was 17 for 32 for 230 yards with a TD and 2 picks.

And we won by 4 points. That is about as close as you can get.

I'd say that's hardly badly outplaying the other guy. The hyperbole is a bit much at this point.

Sorry but holy specious. Reilly completed 12 of his 14 first passes in the formulative parts of this game to take the lead. The two incomplete passes were a drops, one that the receiver directed to a Stamp. Its not like Reilly threw the pick. It was an inept receiver not catching a well enough thrown ball.

Tonight I'll call you out on this. I wonder what game you watched. You won't find a better pass this season than the TD Reilly threw. You won't find a better half of football played by any opposition QB right in McMahon stadium.

Mitchell was crap in this game and generated 1pt in 29 mins of the first half and 1 pt in the entire 2nd half. Unlike Reilly he has the best RB in the league to hand the ball off to to establish some drives.

Reilly has to pass on nearly everydown with this personnel and scrambling while doing it. He still made many more plays than Mitchell who had all kinds of time.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Reilly wasn't amazing in this game, in fact I thought he was worse than last week, but he was way way way better than Mitchell and I don't know how anyone could claim otherwise.

His 2 INTs were a receiver drop that conveniently bounced into a defenders hands, and when they took a shot at the endzone into triple coverage with 0 on the clock in the 2nd quarter.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
As somebody on esksfans.com aptly put it: #Boverated

Pretty or not, Mike Reilly is a straight-up winner.

Yeah, looks like I'm on the wrong board doesn't it?

Any team in the league would want Reilly leading them.

Mitchell has A fantastic RB to work with and still lost this one at home getting nothing going.

its funny how Mitchells results are never discredited and yet all this guy has to do is just go out there and not make critical errors that cost his team the game. Which is exactly what he did tonight..:laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Reilly wasn't amazing in this game, in fact I thought he was worse than last week, but he was way way way better than Mitchell and I don't know how anyone could claim otherwise.

His 2 INTs were a receiver drop that conveniently bounced into a defenders hands, and when they took a shot at the endzone into triple coverage with 0 on the clock in the 2nd quarter.

Thank you, a reasonable comment.

That Reilly threw two interceptions is one of the most specious out of context comments I've seen here. Which is saying something.

On the one, its the receiver that causes the Int. On the other its the coaching staffs failure to put the FG team on to kick the damn FG which was a no brainer in that situation.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sorry but holy specious. Reilly completed 12 of his 14 first passes in the formulative parts of this game to take the lead. The two incomplete passes were a drops, one that the receiver directed to a Stamp. Its not like Reilly threw the pick. It was an inept receiver not catching a well enough thrown ball.

Tonight I'll call you out on this. I wonder what game you watched. You won't find a better pass this season than the TD Reilly threw. You won't find a better half of football played by any opposition QB right in McMahon stadium.

Mitchell was crap in this game and generated 1pt in 29 mins of the first half and 1 pt in the entire 2nd half. Unlike Reilly he has the best RB in the league to hand the ball off to to establish some drives.

Reilly has to pass on nearly everydown with this personnel and scrambling while doing it. He still made many more plays than Mitchell who had all kinds of time.

The stats and the score completely disagree with you. And we absolutely dominated on special teams as well. Lawrence was close to breaking several punts and had positive yardage nearly every return, while his counterpart was shut down completely. Whyte outkicked Maver badly, Maver screwed up at least 3 kicks.

As for Cornish, our defence was superb against him, shutting him down in the first half, and then only allowing 2-3 midrange gains in the 2nd half, nothing large or spectacular. Calgary was forced into many 2nd and long situations all night long. Great job by the D. We got one little point in the 2nd half, and amazingly, it was enough.

As much as I rag on Cory Watson on here, he had no chance on that INT. It was a floater that the D-back had all day to tee him up on and destroy him. I am surprised he got up after that set up. The other INT was a completely ill advised pass with about a half dozen Stamps waiting in the endzone for the juicy offering. That one is likely on McAdoo, since he appears not able to call anything other than 5 yards passes and long bombs. At that point we were in field goal range, in a very tight game, so I'm not sure what the hell the rational for that was.

Not saying Mitchell was any great shakes, but neither QB was very good today. Reilly just had to manage the game for the most part and he did just that. The defence and special teams took care of the rest.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The stats and the score completely disagree with you. And we absolutely dominated on special teams as well. Lawrence was close to breaking several punts and had positive yardage nearly every return, while his counterpart was shut down completely. Whyte outkicked Maver badly, Maver screwed up at least 3 kicks.

As for Cornish, our defence was superb against him, shutting him down in the first half, and then only allowing 2-3 midrange gains in the 2nd half, nothing large or spectacular. Calgary was forced into many 2nd and long situations all night long. Great job by the D. We got one little point in the 2nd half, and amazingly, it was enough.

As much as I rag on Cory Watson on here, he had no chance on that INT. It was a floater that the D-back had all day to tee him up on and destroy him. I am surprised he got up after that set up. The other INT was a completely ill advised pass with about a half dozen Stamps waiting in the endzone for the juicy offering. That one is likely on McAdoo, since he appears not able to call anything other than 5 yards passes and long bombs.

Man you're locked in. You blaming Reilly for those picks is astounding.

1 was clearly Watson and anybody else would say so. The other pick was the fault of the coaching staff not damn well kicking the FG. What kind of idiotic club tries to manage 12 secs left in a hostile field and try to squeeze in another play? One that lets the clock elapse. Its downright stupid. Kick the FG.

In anycase its an INT on the last play of the half that didn't hurt us in anyway.

Mitchell threw two picks that cost his team the game. With his team in scoring positions in a tight game. Mitchell threw several errant balls that were poorly thrown in this game.

lets not forget Mitchell is 100% healthy. Reilly still not at his best and was getting pile drived out there. If Mitchell got hit that hard that often he wouldn't be finishing the game.

Reilly does nothing but win games. Clearly not enough..:shakehead

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Man you're locked in. You blaming Reilly for those picks is astounding.

1 was clearly Watson and anybody else would say so. The other pick was the fault of the coaching staff not damn well kicking the FG. What kind of idiotic club tries to manage 12 secs left in a hostile field and try to squeeze in another play? One that lets the clock elapse. Its downright stupid. Kick the FG.

In anycase its an INT on the last play of the half that didn't hurt us in anyway.

Mitchell threw two picks that cost his team the game. With his team in scoring positions in a tight game. Mitchell threw several errant balls that were poorly thrown in this game.

lets not forget Mitchell is 100% healthy. Reilly still not at his best and was getting pile drived out there. If Mitchell got hit that hard that often he wouldn't be finishing the game.

Reilly does nothing but win games. Clearly not enough..:shakehead

Guess you're not reading my posts. Talk about being locked in!:laugh: I said the 2nd pass was likely a McAdoo call. Should never have been tried. Stampeders were sitting back waiting for it. And it DID hurt us because it took points off the board. Would have been about a 35-40 yard field goal attempt. I don't know how you can disagree with that and dismiss it.

ONce again, I am not saying MItchell had a good game. Far from it. But the score and stats indicate the performances of the 2 QB's were not drastically different..

Funny how you said the other week that when Matt Nichols was getting hit, they were "love taps", but our QB is getting "pile driven." Talk about locked in.

Anyhow, time for bed for this cowboy.

I am very glad and relieved we won, and can now move on to a very much improved Lions team. Will be a tough task, and this team has a lot of work ahead of them.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
What I saw tonight was the best two defences in the league playing at the top of their respective games. I don't think there is a QB you can name who would have put up 20 points against either of them.

Chris Jones is an elite level coach, but his in-game decision making has worried me since the day he got here. Every week it's something new with this guy. This week it was the decision to bomb into the end zone instead of trying the field goal. In a game this tight, those three points are huge. Admittedly, I'll never understand this game one tenth as well as he does, but I'd honestly love to hear his rationale on that one.

I've been a doubter all year, considering the Eskimos to be the "best of the rest" in the CFL. But today's game has me converted. The Esks are definitely in the picture to win it all. Hamilton still has me concerned because of the way they handled us in the last game before Collaros got knocked out, and the Stamps are still good enough to beat us on any given day, but we are definitely for real.

The rest of the season is shaping up to be a helluva ride.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How on Earth does any team manage to lose to the Bombers at home?

Wow the Leos are an inconsistent club. I wonder if this kills their playoff chances.

All they had to do was beat the Bombers tonight and they were in. Now its a whole other ballgame and Leos have to play both the Stamps and Esks.

In reality Leos don't deserve a playoff spot. But then neither does Winnipeg.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What I saw tonight was the best two defences in the league playing at the top of their respective games. I don't think there is a QB you can name who would have put up 20 points against either of them.

Chris Jones is an elite level coach, but his in-game decision making has worried me since the day he got here. Every week it's something new with this guy. This week it was the decision to bomb into the end zone instead of trying the field goal. In a game this tight, those three points are huge. Admittedly, I'll never understand this game one tenth as well as he does, but I'd honestly love to hear his rationale on that one.

I've been a doubter all year, considering the Eskimos to be the "best of the rest" in the CFL. But today's game has me converted. The Esks are definitely in the picture to win it all. Hamilton still has me concerned because of the way they handled us in the last game before Collaros got knocked out, and the Stamps are still good enough to beat us on any given day, but we are definitely for real.

The rest of the season is shaping up to be a helluva ride.

Jones is an aggressive coach. Not enough conservative in his blood. Most pro coaches would have kicked the FG. Its the right call. Its also the right probability call. Given one play from the 30yd line the probability of hitting a FG is several times higher than hitting a TD pass against one of the best D's in the country.

Jones is more gut call kind of a coach though offensively. Defensively he's more into the analytics and probability. He's not as adept at making offensive decisions. Any OC that becomes a headcoach would kick a FG there.

There used to be a cardinal rule in football to never decline the points that are there for the taking. you take the FG. Especially in a close game. I was shaking my head at that one.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Guess you're not reading my posts. Talk about being locked in!:laugh: I said the 2nd pass was likely a McAdoo call. Should never have been tried. Stampeders were sitting back waiting for it. And it DID hurt us because it took points off the board. Would have been about a 35-40 yard field goal attempt. I don't know how you can disagree with that and dismiss it.
We're saying the same thing here. Initially I was under the impression you were blaming Reilly because you specifically cited the two Interceptions. The Mitchell interceptions were earned bad plays. Reilly had no culpability on the first int and none on the 2nd because the team should have opted for the FG. Jones being Jones. It could cost us huge making errors like that in the playoffs.

ONce again, I am not saying MItchell had a good game. Far from it. But the score and stats indicate the performances of the 2 QB's were not drastically different..
You have to go deeper than the stat line. Football is a momentum game. Establish something solid in the first half, which Reilly did in this huge game and it deflates the opposition and takes the crowd out of it. There was a pall of shock in the first half as Reilly is playing near perfect football and Mitchell is completely stinking the joint out.
Not stats may be similar as you say because Reilly by rights should have been in traction after the first half. The degree to which this Oline is allowing their injured starting QB to be decked is appaling. Really I'm amazed Reilly or any QB can survive this kind of abuse longterm. Count the time he's hit and Mitchell is hit. Its not even close.
Also consider that game management is more important than stats. You love that Jennings kid in BC. Looks like a gooder. But the cost of having somebody green like that in is on the last possession with the game on the line he flubs it. Throws an uncatchable second down pass deep in his own end, Leos have to kick from deep in their own end, and they've lost the game. Mike Reilly 9 times out of 10 in that situation would managed something better than that to at least get the club out of dire Field position. If he had to run the ball himself. Like Abootsky commented Reilly is just a winner. With the game on the line I want no other QB in the league in charge. He does enough to pull out results.

Funny how you said the other week that when Matt Nichols was getting hit, they were "love taps", but our QB is getting "pile driven." Talk about locked in
. Nichols is playing insprired right now. Theres more fight in him right now than typical, you know this. Yes, the Esks were hitting Nichols in the first half and Matt had no answer to that. Inexplicably we called off the dogs. Nichols has enough ability that if he's getting steamboats he can make something happen. But why do teams, especially teams that know him intimately, give him that kind of time. Put consistent pressure on Nichols and he isn't a pro QB. Period.

Next, Mike Reillys banged up body has played one hell of a lot more football games the last few seasons than Nichols. That takes a toll. Especially when you're playing for Olines as chronically poor as we have here.

Anyhow, time for bed for this cowboy.

I am very glad and relieved we won, and can now move on to a very much improved Lions team. Will be a tough task, and this team has a lot of work ahead of them.

Well, every football team always has a lot of work ahead of them. Right now every team in the country has more work to do than the Esks have done.:D

This is a great year to be an Esks fan. Thanks to Reilly coming back. Without him I wouldn't have a lot of hope in this season. But regardless about what occurs theres been major strides, and particularly getting the Stamps monkey right off our backs and the team, and Reilly deserve lots of credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad