Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2015 Part 3 : Off to the GC!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What I saw tonight was the best two defences in the league playing at the top of their respective games. I don't think there is a QB you can name who would have put up 20 points against either of them.

Chris Jones is an elite level coach, but his in-game decision making has worried me since the day he got here. Every week it's something new with this guy. This week it was the decision to bomb into the end zone instead of trying the field goal. In a game this tight, those three points are huge. Admittedly, I'll never understand this game one tenth as well as he does, but I'd honestly love to hear his rationale on that one.

I've been a doubter all year, considering the Eskimos to be the "best of the rest" in the CFL. But today's game has me converted. The Esks are definitely in the picture to win it all. Hamilton still has me concerned because of the way they handled us in the last game before Collaros got knocked out, and the Stamps are still good enough to beat us on any given day, but we are definitely for real.

The rest of the season is shaping up to be a helluva ride.

Good post. And the bolded is what I reiterated earlier. In a tight game, you take what you can get. That play was not an insignificant play. It could have been huge, given the the way the defences were playing on both sides.

And I agree, we have to be in the conversation now for genuine contenders. Doesn't hurt that Hamilton lost their starting QB for the season, but thems the way the cookie crumbles. And Calgary is going to have some doubt in their minds next time we play them.

As important as this game was though, it means very little if we don't finish the job and at the very least, match the Stamps win total the rest of the way. This win just gives us a chance to do that now. The biggest game of the season is now Saturday against the Lions.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
And I agree, we have to be in the conversation now for genuine contenders. Doesn't hurt that Hamilton lost their starting QB for the season, but thems the way the cookie crumbles. And Calgary is going to have some doubt in their minds next time we play them.

I don't really agree here. Calgary is a veteran team loaded with winners and they're going to take this loss personally. I absolutely think that we can beat them again(especially if the game is at commonwealth) but there is no doubt in my mind the Stamps are going to bring it in that game.

They are also going to win out the rest of their schedule. I have very little doubt about that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't really agree here. Calgary is a veteran team loaded with winners and they're going to take this loss personally. I absolutely think that we can beat them again(especially if the game is at commonwealth) but there is no doubt in my mind the Stamps are going to bring it in that game.

They are also going to win out the rest of their schedule. I have very little doubt about that.

We beat them 4 weeks ago and they brought it again. Same result. In so many games against them in the past, we were beat before we even took the field. I'm not saying they'll roll over next time, but winning starts to establish seeds of doubt in the other team. I don't think that can be contested.

As for the rest of the schedule, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Both Calgary and Edmonton have had very tight games the last few weeks against so called less worthy opponents and all of them have gone to the wire. One slip up and it's a loss.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We beat them 4 weeks ago and they brought it again. Same result. In so many games against them in the past, we were beat before we even took the field. I'm not saying they'll roll over next time, but winning starts to establish seeds of doubt in the other team. I don't think that can be contested.

As for the rest of the schedule, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Both Calgary and Edmonton have had very tight games the last few weeks against so called less worthy opponents and all of them have gone to the wire. One slip up and it's a loss.

You always raise interesting points. But you see this, and oddly not what I was trying to convey last night.
That in the meaningful formulating stage of the game last night, on the road, in the first half, in a vocal Mcmahon barn, that Mike Reilly was excellent and took the wind out of the sails of the Stamps last night which was huge.

These were the seeds of doubt last night planted in the first half. The seeds that Reilly had already sewn having had a brilliant outing in the previous match up against the Stamps. As they said in the broadcast the Stamps mystique in these matchups is now gone. Now its just two football clubs on the field.

Mike Reilly is a winner. Period. A player that knows how to win and will do everything physically to create a win. I want no other QB in the league at the helm due to his perseverance and resiience in deciding moments of games. He's earned that respect from me even if it is somewhat unequivocal at this point.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Wouldn't be too sure. The lone ranger is at least temporarily unmasked. Make no mistake about it that losing 2 games in a row to the Esks will sicken any Stamp.

The Stamps are missing Simpson who will be out until playoffs or last game. This is a huge loss for them. He is the leader of that football team like Reilly is for us. When either is not there the respective clubs are not the same.

The Stamps are no longer invincible, the whole league as seen that, and now they're just another football club. The outing against the ARgos will be tough. The outing against BC will be a Leos absolute must have game. Thanks to the Leos blowing it last night.

I think both the Esks, and stamps will lose one more game and that the Esks will remain in first.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wouldn't be too sure. The lone ranger is at least temporarily unmasked. Make no mistake about it that losing 2 games in a row to the Esks will sicken any Stamp.

The Stamps are missing Simpson who will be out until playoffs or last game. This is a huge loss for them. He is the leader of that football team like Reilly is for us. When either is not there the respective clubs are not the same.

The Stamps are no longer invincible, the whole league as seen that, and now they're just another football club. The outing against the ARgos will be tough. The outing against BC will be a Leos absolute must have game. Thanks to the Leos blowing it last night.

I think both the Esks, and stamps will lose one more game and that the Esks will remain in first.

I hope they lose their game first, if it must be.:D

Nothing is a given at this time of year. There may very well be a blowout in the offing (Sask comes to mind), but the others are still hanging on to playoff dreams by a thread and they'll bring it, no matter who they play. I think we have an advantage, in that we have two home games to their one.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You always raise interesting points. But you see this, and oddly not what I was trying to convey last night.
That in the meaningful formulating stage of the game last night, on the road, in the first half, in a vocal Mcmahon barn, that Mike Reilly was excellent and took the wind out of the sails of the Stamps last night which was huge.

These were the seeds of doubt last night planted in the first half. The seeds that Reilly had already sewn having had a brilliant outing in the previous match up against the Stamps. As they said in the broadcast the Stamps mystique in these matchups is now gone. Now its just two football clubs on the field.

Mike Reilly is a winner. Period. A player that knows how to win and will do everything physically to create a win. I want no other QB in the league at the helm due to his perseverance and resiience in deciding moments of games. He's earned that respect from me even if it is somewhat unequivocal at this point.

Yah, not going to get into the individualized thing with you over Reilly now. Tired from doing it last night:) It's a team game, and he is doing a very good job of managing things on his side of the field. And with our defence and special teams, that is obviously what we need. If the offence ever breaks out, you'll see a blowout and a comfort zone. I think we need one of those for a breather, after all these consecutive weeks.

As for last night's game, I wouldn't say we took the sails out of the Stamps wind in the first half, so much as gave ourselves a bit of cushion. Usually, we're down by a couple TD's at that point. I really think the Stamps thought they would come back and blow us out after some of Hufnagel's famous adjustments, but we never let it happen. John Cornish says he thinks they underestimated us. Probably thought we were going to fold, as in times past, but not with this team, this year. Maybe we are a team of destiny.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Couple other points. Despite having no holes to run through for most of the night, I was very impressed with Shakir Bell. When it was crunch time, he willed his way for a first down on a couple gutsy runs to seal the deal. Small guy, but he has a huge heart and a terrific competitor. The way our O-line has been run blocking, I doubt that John Henry White could have garnered much more. Of course, our game plan continues to dumbfound me, but that's well documented on here.

Jones has a large decision to make this week regarding his kickers. Shaw is eligible to come off the 6 game list. I'm not sure how long his contract is, but I wonder if they can eat it or move him. I am convinced Whyte is the guy going forward. He's made more clutch kicks in his 6 game stint than Shaw did in 4 years. I feel very comfortable with him as our kicker, and he seems very well liked by his team-mates.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Couple other points. Despite having no holes to run through for most of the night, I was very impressed with Shakir Bell. When it was crunch time, he willed his way for a first down on a couple gutsy runs to seal the deal. Small guy, but he has a huge heart and a terrific competitor. The way our O-line has been run blocking, I doubt that John Henry White could have garnered much more.

Agreed, especially considering that the man is now 60 years old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_White

Jones has a large decision to make this week regarding his kickers. Shaw is eligible to come off the 6 game list. I'm not sure how long his contract is, but I wonder if they can eat it or move him. I am convinced Whyte is the guy going forward. He's made more clutch kicks in his 6 game stint than Shaw did in 4 years. I feel very comfortable with him as our kicker, and he seems very well liked by his team-mates.

I also really like what Whyte has done. Still, given the possibility of a slump or injury, I don't think it's the worst idea to have 2 kickers around.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Agreed, especially considering that the man is now 60 years old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_White

I also really like what Whyte has done. Still, given the possibility of a slump or injury, I don't think it's the worst idea to have 2 kickers around.

Actually, I call him that after John Henry, a mythical folk-lore hero of America. Likely who the other guy was named for too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_(folklore)
My tribute of sorts to him.

2nd comment, yes, for sure, especially at this time of year. Probably thinking more going forward to next year and beyond. And I doubt one of them is going to like sitting out waiting for a slump or injury, based on their veteran status. Whyte had that situation in Montreal and quit.

My question though, is more as to who plays the next game?

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Actually, I call him that after John Henry, a mythical folk-lore hero of America. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_(folklore)
My tribute of sorts to him.

2nd comment, yes, for sure, especially at this time of year. Probably thinking more going forward to next year and beyond. And I doubt one of them is going to like sitting out waiting for a slump or injury, based on their veteran status. Whyte had that situation in Montreal and quit.

My question though, is more as to who plays the next game?

No brainer. Stick with the hot hand, or foot in this case. They can one game Shaw as long as needed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Whyte needs to be on this team. He has earned the position emphatically as understudy. Just huge performance by him kicking, punting the ball.

Only drawback being I felt he wasn't kicking well into spots against the Bombers. There was one kick that just fed the Bombers return going cross field and not deep. That was dangerous. Sure was kicking well last night.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
What I saw tonight was the best two defences in the league playing at the top of their respective games. I don't think there is a QB you can name who would have put up 20 points against either of them.

Collaros was argubly the best QB this year and he could and has easily put up more than 20 points against the Esks and Calgary defences.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Speaking of which, Collaros is the best QB in the league. No one is more consistent and more dangerous offensively.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Eskimos have a bye during the last week of the season. Something to keep in mind as they move towards a potential first seed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yes, I still say Hamilton would be the likely Grey Cup champs with Collaros.

Doesn't matter, he's not playing now. Injuries happen and are part of the game. What matters is who is left playing and what they do. I like where we're sitting right now.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Eskimos have a bye during the last week of the season. Something to keep in mind as they move towards a potential first seed.

A potential 21 days between games. Can be a blessing or a problem. This defence is at the top of their game, but on the other hand, there are guys nicked up that could use the rest.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
A potential 21 days between games. Can be a blessing or a problem. This defence is at the top of their game, but on the other hand, there are guys nicked up that could use the rest.

that long of a break scares me, too. while rest is nice, I would worry the teams timing and game would be off.
but, Calgary not getting the bye for a change and getting no rest would be huge.

Greta game by the esks this weekend. I thought they played quite well. Calgary has a very good team and the esks made them look average. that says a lot.
there was a good reason Calgary beat Edmonton so many times in a row. now the esks have a team ,especially on defense, that can play with them.

the only thing that bothered me was the mismanagement of time at the end of the first half. can't leave points like that.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If we hold first I hope the Leos play Calgary in the semi-final as that would be a tough game for the Stamps.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
that long of a break scares me, too. while rest is nice, I would worry the teams timing and game would be off.
but, Calgary not getting the bye for a change and getting no rest would be huge.

Greta game by the esks this weekend. I thought they played quite well. Calgary has a very good team and the esks made them look average. that says a lot.
there was a good reason Calgary beat Edmonton so many times in a row. now the esks have a team ,especially on defense, that can play with them.

the only thing that bothered me was the mismanagement of time at the end of the first half. can't leave points like that.

The long break would normally scare me, and I've been pointing out how brutal this Esks schedule is for a longtime. A fatigued club really could have used this buy near the middle of the season. The Esks instead have brutal byes after game 2 and final game. The worst possible byes and if these are randomly selected or generated they shouldn't be. No club in the league should get that roll of the dice in the physical world of pro football. They byes means the Esks play 16 weeks in a row while no other club is made to play more than 8games in arrow by what I've seen from the schedule.

Strange eh?

Anyway a Jones club will give them enough to do and I'll trade some of the not being sharp for repairing from injuries, fatigue, and the extra jam they will have at the right time.

This will be like a long distance runner coming off training a couple weeks before the big event. They'll have so much jump by the 2nd quarter or 2nd half they will be owning.

Just have to get by the 1st quarter in a final if that's how it plays out. Still lots of football left to be played.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
As somebody on esksfans.com aptly put it: #Boverated

Pretty or not, Mike Reilly is a straight-up winner.

I wouldn't say he's overrated. anyone that says that is filled with sour grapes.
He's an excellent QB and a proven winner.

the esks defense is now that good it's makes him look average at times.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I wouldn't say he's overrated. anyone that says that is filled with sour grapes.

tbh though when is the last time Mitchell has had an excellent game? I'm seeing a lot of games where he's not getting much done. Been a little off in a lot of them this season.

In the first half he flat out missed several strikes that were open. Just didn't get the ball there. Considering the Esks were using a lot of their 3 pac rush and Mitchell had all day that's just flat out odd.

Also odd the esks would go 3 rush against Mitchell.

Starting to wonder if theres a detected injury and the Esks know he's limited right now. Something is off.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree. Mitchell is a very good QB. The Esks defence has taken away his weapons the last 2 times they played.

While the Eskimo offence did enough to win the game something to keep in mind is that the Esks offence dominated the time of possession on Saturday and was still only able to score 10 points.
The Esks defence was forcing 2 and out after 2 and out and despite all that prime opportunity with the ball the Esks offence only managed 1 TD. This defence is excellent but at some point the offence has to be good enough to absorb an off game...that hasnt happened yet this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad