Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread: 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Thank God that was Winnipeg. If that was Calgary they would've cleaned house with us.

Struggling with the bad teams.

Eh... the only team that has proven to be above the rest of the field so far is Ottawa... and we took them to OT.

There was a lot of coaching/player turnover this offseason. Everyone is still feeling their way into games and into their own play styles. You can't really read anything this early.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thank God that was Winnipeg. If that was Calgary they would've cleaned house with us.

Struggling with the bad teams.

Do you not watch much anymore? Stamps aren't all that hot either.

Again the negativity is uncalled for. Game is in Winnipeg and we won. Really without special teams laying an egg this one wasn't even close.

That said theres not a ton of lopsided scores in the CFL anymore. It seems the mission statement of officiating and command center is keeping games close. So people sit through all the commercials. They don't want one team up by 3-4scores and it hardly ever happens anymore.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eh... the only team that has proven to be above the rest of the field so far is Ottawa... and we took them to OT.

There was a lot of coaching/player turnover this offseason. Everyone is still feeling their way into games and into their own play styles. You can't really read anything this early.

Agreed. With Collaros out for Hamilton the only team in the league that is any good is Ottawa. The West really isn't all that hot. Basically you got Edmonton and Ottawa and then the rest of the league being mediocre.

I mean really, whats the difference between how lousy the Argos, Als, Leos, Bombers, Riders are? Man that's 5 teams in the league that are plain lousy.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Some comments on the game and telecast.

Way too many flags but at least officiating was not too terribly one sided tonight. We seem to get shafted every week but not as looming a part of the game today.

Game play time. Man this is ridiculous. Regulation time games now routinely going Way over 3hrs. Due to a combination of flags, reviews but mostly an enormous increase in amount of commercials shown.

Theres basically 30more minutes per telecast in commercials in a game. Add the on field advertising, in the stand advertising, Stadium naming rates and everything and it never stops. Are games going to be 4hrs soon so they can show 3hrs of commercials? Its flat our ridiculous. I'm just going to be PVRing the games.

Finally, commercials even radically impacting coverage of the game. On one sequence Esks return the ball to Bombers 45. Then telecast returns and sara Orlesky is talking for 2mins while play resumes, somehow, with the Esks on their own 30yd line...with no mention of it, at all, or what the eSks are doing in their own end, until the fumble, that TSN was not even paying attention to....

on another sequence they keep saying its Esks 3rd down when it was 2nd down. I had to rewind to make sure I wasn't out to lunch.

Just amateur hour telecast on TSN.

What an absolute cluster**** broadcast.
Agree with this post, TSN's coverage combined with the usual poorly run referee/challenges BS is making the games nearly unwatchable. I love the Esks but the CFL is becoming a joke of a league, 12K fans at the last Argos home game is a telltale sign that this league is not marketable with its many flaws.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I'd be shocked if Walker doesn't shoot for the NFL next year.

This is a definite concern. But it's a good one. When we have players that are too good for the CFL we win with them while we have them, when we lose them we don't lose them to other CFL teams, and if they come back we get first crack at them generally. And Hervey has had a good track record of finding these guys.

If Maas can get the D sorted out, this team can go all the way again this year. Barring injuries to lots of key players of course.

On the game. D looked better but too many flags kept the Bombers in this one. Maas is still a rookie coach. He's learning too.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Yep, the special teams were a clown show today, again, with the Exception of Doe who did a very good job but unfortunately was negated by penalties on nearly every return.

Man, another thing is if the Esks don't take penalties on two other Reilly long completions the guy finishes with around 550 passing yds today. Exceptional night by the offense. The only unit that showed up for the game.

in anycase this Maas-Reilly offence is a lot of fun like I knew it would be. That said White was hot garbage today. He tackled himself on 3-4 carries....just awful game by him plus the fumble. The offense would have done more with White not even on the field in this game.

You spelled Season wrong.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
No ugly green helmets or pants tonight. They actually looked like the Eskimos out there.

the CFL has become unwatchable because of all the flags

every play we got to worry if there's a flag on the play
Weren't they supposedly going to throw less flags this year? Tonight was horrible, every play was either a penalty or a review.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Do you not watch much anymore? Stamps aren't all that hot either.

Again the negativity is uncalled for. Game is in Winnipeg and we won. Really without special teams laying an egg this one wasn't even close.

That said theres not a ton of lopsided scores in the CFL anymore. It seems the mission statement of officiating and command center is keeping games close. So people sit through all the commercials. They don't want one team up by 3-4scores and it hardly ever happens anymore.

Wow we won in Winnipeg, what a cause for celebration. Barely squeak by a hapless Riders team then flounder our way past the worst CFL team.

These are the two worst teams in the CFL and we're looking like garbage against them.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Wow we won in Winnipeg, what a cause for celebration. Barely squeak by a hapless Riders team then flounder our way past the worst CFL team.

These are the two worst teams in the CFL and we're looking like garbage against them.

It's refreshing seeing this side of you again ;). Things just haven't been the same around here lately with your borderline optimism regarding the Oilers.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

Barely?

We controlled the second half of the game and won.

Yeah, there's some things to work on, but it's game freaking 3. Come on man.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Special teams were pretty brutal, I thought the D line really stepped up but our secondary needs to figure things out fast. Sherritt was all over the place tonight and really bailed them out.

Offense was exciting to watch, Reilly is just making it look easy and Bowman/Walker had some real nice grabs and huge yards. Winnipeg D was actually pretty good tonight but had some flags at costly times and our offense made them pay, and Willy just sucks.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Oh man, your melancholy arises. Apparently you got your teams mixed up.

The Oilers, you know, the team your waxing on about were 29th, This here Esks team is great, have won 12/13 of their last games including the GC and were jobbed in the one *loss*

This team is undefeated in regular season for almost a whole year and you jabber on about didn't win by enough.

If you thought this game was in doubt you don't pay attention.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I gotta say, I really like Milt Stegall as a TSN analyst. Super fair to both sides and willing to tell it like it is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Esks won a game they were supposed to (easily) win. The offence was good but continuously shot themselves in the foot with penalties. I agree with GK when he says that a good team like Calgary or Ottawa would have exploited that.

Its interesting to see just how many posters with a history of trashing Willy as a QB are now defending the Esks defenisve performance tonight.

Willy is the worst starting QB in the League. Period.

If this defence cant look good against that offence then there really is no hope. So the fact that the defence held their own tonight shouldn't be lauded. It should have been expected.

I for one want to see how this defence does against some legit offences before I start applauding their accomplishments.

Good to see a win but lets not get carried away by over stating this accomplishment.

On a side note...I agree with Del Preston...good to see a more traditional Eskimo road uniform for a change.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I find it odd that Bowman never managed to catch on with an NFL team. I know he had issues with focus and consistency early in his career but by year 2 with the Esks he was really good.

Drops too many balls, it's really that simple. He does seem to be improving on that so far, without that flaw he's nearly unstoppable. The only guy i ever remember being as bad for dropping easy passes was Kamau (incom)Peterson and he managed to significantly improve on that issue as his career went on, he was even dare i say pretty sure handed in Edmonton.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Reilly racking up the big numbers this season. His mechanics are really impressing me. His two step drop, ability to read a defense and accuracy are much better than last season.

O-Line has given him time for the most part. I really don't think he's gotten a lot smarter or anything, he's just being allowed to play to his full potential

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
morning guys. wasn't around last night.
there are positives to take from the game, and the esks did win, after all.

even reilly in an interview after the game was quite angry about the undisciplined eskimos and the amount of stupid penalties. so the team also knows they have to smarten up.

I was ok with the play calling on defense. What bothered me is what I believe is the lack of talent in the secondary. I'm beginning to feel it isn't the coaching as much as the talent he was given so far this year. This year will be more telling on Hervey and the scouts then it will on the coaching team.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

even reilly in an interview after the game was quite angry about the undisciplined eskimos and the amount of stupid penalties. so the team also knows they have to smarten up.

I was ok with the play calling on defense. What bothered me is what I believe is the lack of talent in the secondary. I'm beginning to feel it isn't the coaching as much as the talent he was given so far this year. This year will be more telling on Hervey and the scouts then it will on the coaching team.

Some were bad penalties to take, but some were just flat out terrible calls. I stopped watching the game near half time but one of the early offsides that extended a Bombers drive and led to points against as well as the one holding penalty on our RT that took away a 30 yard pass to Walker was total BS.

Our talent is for sure lacking on the side. Talent and experience.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yeah, Reilly definitely had some reaction and like " are you effing kidding me" going back to the huddle after completing two lon gainers in a row both called back. As so many plays last night were. Or starting on the 10yd line so many times as the special teams continuously self destructed and got returns called back.

The field position battle was ugly and it took a QB like Reilly to survive it. he consistently got the club out of danger zones all night and an absolutely fantastic performance from Reilly who showed yet again why he's this teams hero.

Gotta say I'm loving the Maas/Reilly play package and how hard they work together. I knew that would happen. Too intense guys that really hit the playbooks and really give it all to execute each play. I love the pairing, it doesn't get better. They understand each other, and when they don't they respect each other.

We're watching just the start of something truly special evolving. Remember when I kept saying this offense would be as close as it gets to unstoppable? They were again last night. Would've been 550 yds passing without all the penalties. There were even dropped balls that would push it to 700yds.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Interesting game with the desired result.

- Reilly had another monster game. The O-line is giving him all kinds of time to pick out his guy.

- still need some work on the run game. Way too many hard yards for White

- defence, in particular the front 7 were very good and kept us in the game until the offence could stick the dagger in.

- Bowman had a fantastic game, as did Texas Ranger. And I maligned Cory Watson in the past, but he's making me eat my words. Good for him. Maas is using him the way he needs to be used, obviously.

- kick returner guy didn't put the ball on the ground. Good.

- When Jason Mass questions a call, he is usually right. Jones was iffy.

- and in relation to the coach's challenges, it speaks to how bad the reffing is, when most of the challenges seem to overturn the on the field calls. Way too many penalties called, some deserved, a bunch of others not.

- lastly, it seems the cheers are greater, not for the actual play on the field, but the announced result of a coach's challenge. How sad is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad