Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread: 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Is Franklin's contract up after this year?
I wouldn't trade Franklin to the riders, but can he sign there after this season if he wishes?

I think there is going to be a few teams interested in him.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Regarding speculation on how Frank came to Edmonton, Archie Manning talked up the CFL to Franklin and he called a few teams, including Edmonton. It's believed that he got no bites at that time. He eventually connected with Paul Jones. Paul Jones invited him to a free agent camp and he worked out for Paul and Chris. He impressed and got a camp invite.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I never compared them. I said they weren't maybe given as much playing time as those three, but both QBs seem capable to play when called on.

They also had the benefit of playing with a seasoned solid defence which kept them in nearly every game. That isn't going to be the case this year. Put me in the group that says we need to see a whole lot more before I'd be comfortable with Reilly going down.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Other than Ottawa, obviously, I'm not following how so many other clubs allegedly have a better back up foundation than the Esks with Franklin and Lynch.

tbh I don't watch enough CFL games anymore as its hard to invest the 3.5 hrs (pure insanity for the league to take that long to complete games) to watch other clubs play. Essentially I'm watching the Esks and passing bits of other games. I find in the CFL usually just watching 4th quarters is enough for the other clubs.

In anycase without Cornish Calgary is not the same club and weren't anyway in recent memory. Their *dynasty* is done.

BC? Seriously? Improved, but I'm not too worried. Will Lulay ever return to health and success?

Hamilton? Collaros out.

Toronto? Lol

MTL? Who

Winnipeg? Drew Silly.

Riders? Bwahahahaha

What am I missing here?

Obviously Calgary and B.C. aren't the same clubs without their starting QB's . Otherwise, they wouldn't be starters, right? But I think both Lulay and Tate are good enough and experienced enough to keep their teams afloat and viable if there was a short term injury to either Jennings or Mitchell. Not good enough to take them all the way of course, but good enough to keep things going at a reasonable level.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I don't expect Franklin back. Most likely destinations are Saskatchewan or Winnipeg, maybe Toronto. :cry: We focus on recruiting QBs next off season.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Is Franklin's contract up after this year?
I wouldn't trade Franklin to the riders, but can he sign there after this season if he wishes?

I think there is going to be a few teams interested in him.
I really think we should move Franklin if we are being offered good value simply because we will lose him in the off-season for nothing. Get Saskatchewan to send Gale our way in addition to something else or bring back DeMarco and we will be fine.

I think it would be silly to pass up a good return in trade simply to "punish" the Riders.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I really think we should move Franklin if we are being offered good value simply because we will lose him in the off-season for nothing. Get Saskatchewan to send Gale our way in addition to something else or bring back DeMarco and we will be fine.

I think it would be silly to pass up a good return in trade simply to "punish" the Riders.

This is the CFL, what kind of good value do you expect in a trade?

Franklin is worth more as a backup in case Reilly gets injured or just banged up enough to need a break than he will bring in trade.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Keep Frank for the season and if Reilly stays healthy the guy hardly plays then you lose him for for nothing in the off season. Or trade him and maybe Reilly gets hurt. Each has a risk.

Previously when Hervey had an offer from SSK I absolutely didn't him to trade the player but as I think about it I think we should trade him for the best deal out there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is the CFL, what kind of good value do you expect in a trade?

Franklin is worth more as a backup in case Reilly gets injured or just banged up enough to need a break than he will bring in trade.

But this is the CFL, and this is the Esks. They are not specifically going to bury Franklin indefinitely on what is clearly Reillys team when Franklin can be a starter elsewhere. Its part of the Esks way like it or not which involves treating people fairly and allowing them their opportunities. Ultimately that kind of rep makes it easier for the Esks to sign players in the first place.

If Franklin is gone its the cost of treating employees well and with their interests also at stake.

Sucks sometimes but the cost of being fair with personnel. I'll take the lumps with that. If Franklin doesn't see much action this season he's gone. Too early to say though how much he does get. If the Esks D gets it together and the Esks pull away in games we're probably seeing Franklin. Maas isn't the type of coach to overuse Reilly.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not sure if anybody caught it but Maas and Reilly were talking about some of the changes on the weekend and one of them is that Maas will never have Reilly calling his own number. Well, not in usual circumstance, maybe a playoff game. Maas was surprised how often this would occur in past seasons ( so was I) and chalked it up to Reilly establishing who he is in the league. Maas stated we all know he is, we don't need to see it. Thus Reilly only rushing the ball if its short yards or broken play.

Makes a lot of sense to me and its something that apparently involved a lot of discussion. Maas made the careful point that he doesn't want to take the fighting for every inch Reilly out of games but that he's giving him different ways of busting D's.

Bowman joined in saying Reilly this season, with Maas, has stepped it up to a whole different level and he's seeing reads, distribution, execution, that is the best he's seen from Reilly.

Lots to be thrilled about.

Not mentioned is this Esks offense is some kind of entertaining. You can't even count the big plays these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad