Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread: 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Man, the Riders back field got lit up.

Jesus. Looking at the highlights Jenning's landed a solid 40+ yard pass a good 5 times in the third. Unreal.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Jones and Hervey really should have found a way to work things out. They could have been really really good for a long long time together. Imagine Jones in EDM with Maas as associate coach.

Now neither will be as good as they could have been together. Hervey looks like he'll come out of this in much better shape though.

hard to say. depends. I'm not going to gloat much until I see how hervey does finding players without Jones.
look at the esks secondary. are you comfortable with that selection of "talent"?

I just hope the esks can find a couple of gems out of the NFL cuts.

I do agree with what you say "Now neither will be as good as they could have been together" and we'd never had had Maas as an assistant if Jones stayed.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jennings looks like a star in the making.
BC sure has a strong QB combo.
So does Calgary and Ottawa.

Probably the only 3 teams that could endure an injury to their starting QB.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Baby steps, man.:D

A lot of new guys out there, not only to the team and system, but to the CFL. They were supposed to do okay last night, and they did okay. I saw some good signs. If there are a lot of struggles by game 8 or 9, then I will be really concerned.

I'll be watching. :D

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Chris Jones might bail down south earlier than expected if things continue this way.

A little early for that. His first year with the Esks wasnt exactly a cake walk either and he has much more on the line with the Riders.

I would suggest that Jones is in Regina for a minimum of 4 years. I would expect him to make damn sure that he takes every opportunity to make that team a contender before he looks elsewhere.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The big question is when is he going to start letting some of his assistants go to relieve some of the heat on him?

I'm sure they were one big happy family back when the team was winning, but once the losing starts...it's all business.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Jennings looks like a star in the making.
BC sure has a strong QB combo.
So does Calgary and Ottawa.

Probably the only 3 teams that could endure an injury to their starting QB.

There's 4 teams that can endure an injury in QB. Edmonton is definitely one of them with Franklin and Lynch. How could you forget us?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
There's 4 teams that can endure an injury in QB. Edmonton is definitely one of them with Franklin and Lynch. How could you forget us?

likely because they're not really proven. it would be a hope and a prayer.

with the new coaching staff and the loss of so much talent on defense, the esks are going only as far as Reilly takes them.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Gord pretty much summed things up.

Franklin and Lynch are anything but proven commodities. If Reilly gets hurt this team is likely in deep trouble especially considering the lack of consistency on defence.

Tate, Harris/Burris and Lulay are all quality QB's....those teams likely wouldn't miss a beat if they had to play their backup.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Jones and Hervey really should have found a way to work things out. They could have been really really good for a long long time together. Imagine Jones in EDM with Maas as associate coach.

Now neither will be as good as they could have been together. Hervey looks like he'll come out of this in much better shape though.

No need to imagine that scenario because it was never going to happen. Maas wasn't going to make a sideways move unless he was the head coach.

As for Jones, not sure what you mean about "working things out?" Jones got an incredible offer for huge money and complete control over a team. And Hervey did the right thing and let him go for that once in a lifetime opportunity. Nothing more, in my eyes.

As for, not being as good apart as they were together, that story remains to be written. Mass may be the next coming, as one of the outstanding coaches in the league, and his future looks very bright. He and Hervey could do some really brilliant things in this league, especially with the QB that they have.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
likely because they're not really proven. it would be a hope and a prayer.

with the new coaching staff and the loss of so much talent on defense, the esks are going only as far as Reilly takes them.

Gord pretty much summed things up.

Franklin and Lynch are anything but proven commodities. If Reilly gets hurt this team is likely in deep trouble especially considering the lack of consistency on defence.

Tate, Harris/Burris and Lulay are all quality QB's....those teams likely wouldn't miss a beat if they had to play their backup.

I disagree. Franklin played really well in Reilly's absence last year and Lynch looks like a Reilly clone in terms of running. Maybe not as great as Tate or Lulay or Burris, but I would still have faith in our QBs if Reilly went down. I guess I have more faith than both of you in terms of our QBs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I disagree. Franklin played really well in Reilly's absence last year and Lynch looks like a Reilly clone in terms of running. Maybe not as great as Tate or Lulay or Burris, but I would still have faith in our QBs if Reilly went down. I guess I have more faith than both of you in terms of our QBs.

You are entitled to believe that but there just isnt enough evidence to support it. Franklin didnt play many games last season...aside from the occasional opportunity in garbage time he had 3 full games in total.
The 3rd game he was effectively shut down by the Stamps defence.

The sample size was far too small and what we did see was inconclusive. Same with Lynch. Lynch is lucky if the coaching staff even lets him throw a pass in relief much less start a game.

Both QB's just arent ready. There is no way you can compare Franklin or Lynch and their extremely limited CFL resumes to established players like Tate, Harris and Lulay.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You are entitled to believe that but there just isnt enough evidence to support it. Franklin didnt play many games last season...aside from the occasional opportunity in garbage time he had 3 full games in total.
The 3rd game he was effectively shut down by the Stamps defence.

The sample size was far too small and what we did see was inconclusive. Same with Lynch. Lynch is lucky if the coaching staff even lets him throw a pass in relief much less start a game.

Both QB's just arent ready. There is no way you can compare Franklin or Lynch and their extremely limited CFL resumes to established players like Tate, Harris and Lulay.

I never compared them. I said they weren't maybe given as much playing time as those three, but both QBs seem capable to play when called on.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I never compared them. I said they weren't maybe given as much playing time as those three, but both QBs seem capable to play when called on.

The point is that you seem to think that Lynch and Franklin give the Esks a viable backup option like Tate, Lulay and Harris bring to their teams.

I am just suggesting to you that there is no evidence to support that.

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
The point is that you seem to think that Lynch and Franklin give the Esks a viable backup option like Tate, Lulay and Harris bring to their teams.

I am suggesting to you that there is no evidence to support that.

And I'm saying I have faith in them. MUCH more faith than Nichols or LeFors or Jyles or Joseph. To each it's own.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And I'm saying I have faith in them. MUCH more faith than Nichols or LeFors or Jyles or Joseph. To each it's own.

Faith or hope is fine. As an Oiler fan I get that concept...its just foolish IMO. I am well past 'hoping' for the best.

A proven track record is something you can actually have confidence in...which is something entirely different.
Thats the difference between players like Lualy, Harris and Tate compared to Franklin and Lynch.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

there you go.
you said they seem capable. the other teams mentioned have backups that are capable.
that's the problem. you have to have faith that they would be good backups and the esks wouldn't lose a beat.
I don't feel there is enough evidence in their play and experience to justify that faith.

I like them. I think they are quality players.
but lets be honest. take Lynch. When is Lynch going to be allowed to throw the ball for petes sake? his best moments come on special teams. how many quality backups shine the most on special teams?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
there you go.
you said they seem capable. the other teams mentioned have backups that are capable.
that's the problem. you have to have faith that they would be good backups and the esks wouldn't lose a beat.
I don't feel there is enough evidence in their play and experience to justify that faith.

but lets be honest. take Lynch. When is Lynch going to be allowed to throw the ball for petes sake? his best moments come on special teams. how many quality backups shine the most on special teams?

Nichols when he isn't a tool? :laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
there you go.

Indeed.
And as much as Nichols is the favorite ex Eskimo whipping boy he played an important role in keeping this team in the hunt for 1st place last season.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Indeed.
And as much as Nichols is the favorite ex Eskimo whipping boy he played an important role in keeping this team in the hunt for 1st place last season.

That's not how I see it. Nichols failed 70% of his starting games and Franklin had to come in and bail him out. I remember watching those games and NOTHING offensively was coming and we'd be in a close game by 2nd half. Then as soon as Franklin came in, he gave us that winning chance and we'd close the game up. Not saying Franklin was excellent either, but he definitely was a better fit than Nichols.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's not how I see it. Nichols failed 70% of his starting games and Franklin had to come in and bail him out. I remember watching those games and NOTHING offensively was coming and we'd be in a close game by 2nd half. Then as soon as Franklin came in, he gave us that winning chance and we'd close the game up. Not saying Franklin was excellent either, but he definitely was a better fit than Nichols.

Apparently the coaching staff saw things differently. They believed that Nichols was the best option and therefore started him in every game but 2.

I am not suggesting that Nichols therefore should have stayed on this team...not at all. I like Franklins potential much more...have from day 1. That said its a lot easier to come into a game in relief than it is to start. Nichols played those tough (starting) minutes and had his moments...good and bad.

Franklin has lots of potential but he is still unproven. Unless Reilly gets hurt we wont really know if he can fulfill his potential.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Other than Ottawa, obviously, I'm not following how so many other clubs allegedly have a better back up foundation than the Esks with Franklin and Lynch.

tbh I don't watch enough CFL games anymore as its hard to invest the 3.5 hrs (pure insanity for the league to take that long to complete games) to watch other clubs play. Essentially I'm watching the Esks and passing bits of other games. I find in the CFL usually just watching 4th quarters is enough for the other clubs.

In anycase without Cornish Calgary is not the same club and weren't anyway in recent memory. Their *dynasty* is done.

BC? Seriously? Improved, but I'm not too worried. Will Lulay ever return to health and success?

Hamilton? Collaros out.

Toronto? Lol

MTL? Who

Winnipeg? Drew Silly.

Riders? Bwahahahaha

What am I missing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad