Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What he is, is stupid and arrogant.

The game is out of reach at that point. There is no upside to him still being in there. He’d already taken a pounding all night. By still being in there when the game was already decided he’s risking getting hurt. We saw that here for years. It isn’t courageous. It’s just selfish and dumb.

I don't think he's stupid but his ego puts pressure on head coaches who are afraid that pulling him will start a rift within the dressing room. A good team guy lets the coach run the show.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
You can’t refute my point though. I get why he thought it might be a good idea but that doesn’t mean it actually was a good idea. The only TD the Lions almost scored was a result of him not going for it on one of those plays and keeping our offense on the field.
Why risk a short field when the defence has been dominant?

Reactions: nabob

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Punting on the 3rd and 1's late was absolutely the right call.

Maas makes more than enough real mistakes to complain about that we don't need to invent some new ones.

One of those calls was less than a yard at center field...thats pretty much an automatic 1st down. A little too conservative IMO but I am not too worked up about it.

Reactions: Cloned

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lolley and his defensive schemes are an absolute breath of fresh air. That along with the ball control offence makes this team formidable.
Sunderland has also done a great job of putting together this roster. Very balanced.
Looking forward to the first time they play Calgary. :D

As for BC...each time I see Reilly play in another uniform it confirms for me that it was time for him to leave.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Remember when Mike Reilly was good? Wtf happened?

Not the answer you are looking for, but I think its again something worth mentioning;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...-health-battle-to-break-down-stigma-1.5200043

Myself I started having panic anxiety as a teen. Its terrifying stuff and hard for anybody to know what to do with it the first time it hits (and it usually hits again at some points in life) I've got through it but its never something you conquer. Its within you. You have to constantly monitor health, functioning, whether you are carrying stress, impacted, changes in breathing patterns etc.

I can't ever hate Mike Reilly or wish bad things or look down on him for what has transpired. He's past best date, he's not nearly as fast anymore in the scramble and can't evade tackle anymore. This makes a quantum difference in what he's capable of in backfield. He's been drilled so many times he hears footsteps on every down seemingly. Looks like he's done at present. I expect he'll rebound, but never be at prime anymore.

In retrospect people that have faced panic anxiety often want a change in scenery. Anything from a highschool, a place of employment, to a city and its surrounds can act as painful triggers associated to the terror of full blown panic attacks. Nobody has made the connection that Mike may have just wanted a change of scenery. That sometimes theres better reasons for wanting it. People can think this was a Chris Pronger or Kawhi Leaonard self absorbed decision but I'm not convinced of it.

Anyway Mike won us a GC and was a huge part of that and for several seasons here put a smile on peoples faces. Nobody ever takes that away. They'll always be good memories of the man, for me.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Lolley and his defensive schemes are an absolute breath of fresh air. That along with the ball control offence makes this team formidable.
Sunderland has also done a great job of putting together this roster. Very balanced.
Looking forward to the first time they play Calgary. :D

As for BC...each time I see Reilly play in another uniform it confirms for me that it was time for him to leave.
Yeah I think we moved on from Reilly at the perfect time. I respect the crap out of the guy and what he did here but he just isn’t the same player as he was even just two years ago. Watching Harris is so refreshing the way he gets the ball off quickly and uses everyone. Two steps back and the ball is gone Tommy Wilkinson style.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yeah I think we moved on from Reilly at the perfect time. I respect the crap out of the guy and what he did here but he just isn’t the same player as he was even just two years ago. Watching Harris is so refreshing the way he gets the ball off quickly and uses everyone. Two steps back and the ball is gone Tommy Wilkinson style.
Wilkinson was also master of the short passing game.

Reactions: Jakey53 and guymez

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think he's stupid but his ego puts pressure on head coaches who are afraid that pulling him will start a rift within the dressing room. A good team guy lets the coach run the show.
Agree with this but I’ll stick with using the “stupid” word too. At the very least, it’s foolish risking even more punishment that could easily lead to injury in a game that’s already been decided. I’m harping on this still because it’s something that really bugged me over the last couple years.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I wouldn’t be surprised if Sunderland trades for Walker later this year. His talents are so wasted in TO.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I wouldn’t be surprised if Sunderland trades for Walker later this year. His talents are so wasted in TO.

I was thinking the same thing but I don't know if his salary can be accommodated under the very tight cap.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I really do think this is the best team we’ve had since 2015. They’ve dominated every game. Even bombers game they just couldn’t get a major but largely outplayed them.

Its early but the team has really come together quickly. I think Maas deserves credit for that.
There are things that I dont like about Maas like questionable game calling, poor judgement on challenges, insisting on using his starter for QB sneaks, and playing the starter in the closing minutes of blowouts.

That said he has managed to get full buy in from this team. That is so evident in 2 ways...when you watch how the team handles adversity and that they play right to the final whistle. That impresses me.

One test for Maas though is when a game event (referee call) goes against him in a big way. I want to see how well he holds his composure and if he is able to think his way through it instead of just reacting without thinking.
I also want to see how he handles a big game moment to see if he has learned how to manage the pressure that comes with that.

Reactions: MessierII

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Its early but the team has really come together quickly. I think Maas deserves credit for that.
There are things that I dont like about Maas like questionable game calling, poor judgement on challenges, insisting on using his starter for QB sneaks, and playing the starter in the closing minutes of blowouts.

That said he has managed to get full buy in from this team. That is so evident in 2 ways...when you watch how the team handles adversity and that they play right to the final whistle. That impresses me.

One test for Maas though is when a game event (referee call) goes against him in a big way. I want to see how well he holds his composure and if he is able to think his way through it instead of just reacting without thinking.
I also want to see how he handles a big game moment to see if he has learned how to manage the pressure that come with that.
I also feel like the team smartened up this last week.

No undisciplined penalties.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not a chance we trade for walker at that salary. That money has clearly been better spent on the defence

I agree.
The thing is...even if they could afford that salary the team doesnt need Walker. Receiver is not an area of need at all.

Jackson was better last game but IMO the biggest need is a game breaking returner that can be occasionally used on offence.

Reactions: BleedingOil

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I also want to see how he handles a big game moment to see if he has learned how to manage the pressure that comes with that.
I’m still not a fan of Maas as Head Coach, I think his in game decision making is horrible. However, I now recognize that there likely isn’t a better replacement option out there right now. My guess is that’s why he hung onto his job the past two offseasons. Hopefully his decision making improves at some point.

Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Wilkie didn’t have much choice, lol. He didn’t have much of a deep ball.

His long ball was underrated. Obviously not Moon's strength but the thing about Wilkie was that his throws were very accurate.

If anybody remembers "CFL Countdown" ---they used to drive a truck across the football field with a net that you had to hit at 20-30-40 yard range and Wilkie often won that contest. He was good as gold within 40 yards.

George McGowan was seriously injured one year in playing in that contest for one of the "receiver" exercises that they also ran. He never fully recovered from his hamstring injury that he sustained on the now long forgotten "CFL countdown."

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad