Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That endzone pick is on whoever called the play, likely Maas. We needed 16 yards to score, and still 16 seconds left. Throwing it 40 to the back of the endzone should never for one second even be considered there. Two simple 8 yarders get the job done there. Christ, we could have run the ball. Maas called the worst, lowest percentage play he possibly could have.

The Esks have run with those kinds of one on one coverage plays all season. They've bet hard that their recievers win those battles. Duke f***ed up on the play. If the crititicism is that the Esks go to the well looking for the big play all the time that's fair, but its been their primary offense this season. Its been bread and butter. So they went to that well.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Get over it, Reilly was awful tonight, he will be better next week, he deserves criticism.

Yeah god forbid Reilly have only a slightly above average game. Deficiencies across the whole roster for days, but let's pin the loss on the best player in the league.

Reilly is just as bad as McDavid... if McDavid just had it a little morelast season we make the playoffs for sure. Some games he only scored 1 point. 2018 was all goat horns for McDavid.

Really though... who in your opinion had a good night?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Esks have run with those kinds of one on one coverage plays all season. They've bet hard that their recievers win those battles. Duke ****ed up on the play. If the crititicism is that the Esks go to the well looking for the big play all the time that's fair, but its been their primary offense this season. Its been bread and butter. So they went to that well.

Good news is there's a decent chance we will get Zylstra back in a few weeks as I think his game is too "tweener" for the NFL and is better suited for the CFL. From what I'm hearing Tevaun Smith is on his last NFL legs as well and he should be an upgrade over Adjei/Behar. Ladler will be in tough to make it as well, although he may get a PR spot on a NFL team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah god forbid Reilly have only a slightly above average game. Deficiencies across the whole roster for days, but let's pin the loss on the best player in the league.

Reilly is just as bad as McDavid... if McDavid just had it a little morelast season we make the playoffs for sure. Some games he only scored 1 point. 2018 was all goat horns for McDavid.

Really though... who in your opinion had a good night?

This so many times. This board never changes. Reilly is light years better than any other player in this league and he plays an above average game tonight, makes several plays tonight nobody else can make, and he's getting it here because he wasn't god, again..

Nobody will answer your question on which esk had a good night. More blaming Reilly for the loss will ensue..

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The 5-3 start is really all about the schedule the Esks have had. Which only gets a hell of a lot harder in 2nd half of season. This is an ordinary lineup. I note a lot of players on this team that get big heads the moment they make a play but several of them disappeared on D in 2nd half. 60mins guys.

The way the Esks are playing they will struggle against all of Ottawa, Calgary, Winnipeg, Sask, Hamilton the rest of the way. Unfortunately that's the brunt of our games that are left.

Tack on the Als next week, and we've quite literally had the easiest possible first half schedule you could dream up. Any less than 7-2 at the midway mark has to be considered a failure, and we've already left ourselves 6-3 at best. In a Grey Cup year with everything on the line. Anything short of running out of the tunnel at home on November 25th should result in a total housecleaning, but sadly it will probably just lead to promotions for everyone. It's how we do it in Edmonton.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
LOL... is Reilly a sacred cow now?

He is not the reason the Esks lost but lets be honest here.
I am a huge Reilly supporter but this was not his best game by a long shot...we shouldnt be afraid to say that because of some myth that he is always above criticism.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This so many times. This board never changes. Reilly is light years better than any other player in this league and he plays an above average game tonight, makes several plays tonight nobody else can make, and he's getting it here because he wasn't god, again..

I think Reilly has played well enough to have a long leash as far as damning criticism goes, but I also think he isn't above ALL criticism. Basically, I want to have my cake and eat it too. ;)

I think it's fair to criticize him for individual plays in tonight's game - but I think some of the language being used in that criticism in this thread is a little beyond the pale and doesn't consider what he has done for this team overall during his tenure here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Tack on the Als next week, and we've quite literally had the easiest possible first half schedule you could dream up. Any less than 7-2 at the midway mark has to be considered a failure, and we've already left ourselves 6-3 at best. In a Grey Cup year with everything on the line. Anything short of running out of the tunnel at home on November 25th should result in a total housecleaning, but sadly it will probably just lead to promotions for everyone. It's how we do it in Edmonton.

Preaching to the choir here. Absolutely agreed. What a gift schedule this has been and yet we are a fluke win away from just being a .500 squad. Very ordinary club. I blame this on management though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Hey...havent you heard? According to the Esks illustrious leader winning isnt enough.
Just be happy with the half time entertainment (and open mics) and if winning happens along the way then its a bonus. :D

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hey...havent you heard? According to the Esks illustrious leader winning isnt enough.
Just be happy with the half time entertainment. :D

The CFL should be ashamed of their Thursday night concert series. What a bust that has been so far. There have been maybe 2 good/decent acts out of the 9 weeks so far. The rest have been abysmal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Reilly has played well enough to have a long leash as far as damning criticism goes, but I also think he isn't above ALL criticism. Basically, I want to have my cake and eat it too. ;)

I think it's fair to criticize him for individual plays in tonight's game - but I think some of the language being used in that criticism in this thread is a little beyond the pale and doesn't consider what he has done for this team overall during his tenure here.

Mostly agree with you. Except for the bolded. Plays that didn't work out was because Reilly was put in the spot of having to salvage a game against a team the Esks are supposed to beat.

To me it would be like criticizing Talbot in 16-17. Would be silly to do.

I'll repeat the question not being answered in the thread. What eskimo played well tonight. What Eskimo was better than Reilly?

Reactions: iCanada

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The CFL should be ashamed of their Thursday night concert series. What a bust that has been so far. There have been maybe 2 good/decent acts out of the 9 weeks so far. The rest have been abysmal.

The League is trying so hard to 'add value' to this game in ways that no one cares about.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I generally detest Country music but felt this guy tonight, Chad something or other wasn't too bad. But agreed on the Concert series being generally awful. Kdays had a good lineup of performers this year.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The Esks have run with those kinds of one on one coverage plays all season. They've bet hard that their recievers win those battles. Duke ****ed up on the play. If the crititicism is that the Esks go to the well looking for the big play all the time that's fair, but its been their primary offense this season. Its been bread and butter. So they went to that well.

They have run those plays all season, and here we are. This offense hasn't been anywhere near good enough in 4 of 8 games.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Mostly agree with you. Except for the bolded. Plays that didn't work out was because Reilly was put in the spot of having to salvage a game against a team the Esks are supposed to beat.

To me it would be like criticizing Talbot in 16-17. Would be silly to do.

I'll repeat the question not being answered in the thread. What eskimo played well tonight. What Eskimo was better than Reilly?

I think players can share blame. Too often we look to blame one player on a bad play, when there is usually (as it was tonight) more than one culprit on any one play. I think a lot of the problems stem from the OL and the LB corps. Chris Edwards shouldn't even be on the field anymore.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They have run those plays all season, and here we are. This offense hasn't been anywhere near good enough in 4 of 8 games.

I agree.

As I posted earlier I am a huge Reilly supporter but there has to be some acknowledgment that Walker and Williams et al are very good at coming up with these long bombs that seem to be this teams identity.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The League is trying so hard to 'add value' to this game in ways that no one cares about.

TSN shares part of the blame as well as I'm sure they had "input" into this "addition" to the presentation of the game. I'm willing to bet TSN even helps the league recruit/hire/pay some of these performers.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
TSN shares part of the blame as well as I'm sure they had "input" into this "addition" to the presentation of the game. I'm willing to bet TSN even helps the league recruit/hire/pay some of these performers.

The thing is without TSN this League is toast. I am willing to cut TSN some slack for that reason.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I generally detest Country music but felt this guy tonight, Chad something or other wasn't too bad. But agreed on the Concert series being generally awful. Kdays had a good lineup of performers this year.

His first song was OK, his second was a mess and contained all the negative stereotypes that I generally associate with country music.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Whats wrong with making the players more accessible after games and at other points in the season?
The CFL would be the only Pro League to do that and it would give young fans a chance to connect with players. Sell the League on the strength of its biggest asset.

Half time concerts do not enhance a fans connection to this League....doesnt matter who the act is.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The thing is without TSN this League is toast. I am willing to cut TSN some slack for that reason.

That's fair, but considering how many marketing guys there are between TSN and the League, surely not every one of them can be that tone deaf? They're literally hiring the worst possible performers.

I mean, country music in the middle of downtown Vancouver?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's fair, but considering how many marketing guys there are between TSN and the League, surely not every one of them can be that tone deaf? They're literally hiring the worst possible performers.

I mean, country music in the middle of downtown Vancouver?

See my previous post. :nod:

IMO Concerts are just a gimmick.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Whats wrong with making the players more accessible after games and at other points in the season?
The CFL would be the only Pro League to do that and it would give young fans a chance to connect with players. Sell the League on the strength of its biggest asset.

Half time concerts do not enhance a fans connection to this League....doesnt matter who the act is.

I think they would probably have to negotiate with the PA about that, and considering how much average CFL players get paid I'm not sure the average player would want to commit a bunch more of their recovery or personal time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think they would probably have to negotiate with the PA about that, and considering how much average CFL players get paid I'm not sure the average player would want to commit a bunch more of their recovery or personal time.

I think it would be a lot cheaper and makes a lot more sense than what they are trying to do now.
Also...if a CFL player has any sense they would understand the value in connecting with the fans.
This isnt the NHL were people will watch and over pay for a product.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
See my previous post. :nod:

IMO Concerts are just a gimmick.

I think they CAN add value to a broadcast and attract viewership, but you have to choose your performers carefully to match the demographics of who is likely to be watching, and also make sure they're actually good performers with decent songs. And not oversaturate it by doing it every week. Make it something to actually look forward to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad