Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v2

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
No. But he's still the best player in the league.

We win this game if we dont average -40 on every change of possession. And we took 160 yards of penalties!

You don't win games when you're that undisciplined.

Lots of blame to go around, but most of those penalties were phantom nonsense calls.

Reilly threw 2 fourth quarter picks inside BC territory. Totally underthrew Behar, who was open, on the failed gamble. He is usually clutch in those situations, unfortunately he was awful tonight.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'm with cloned, we had nothing going on the run.

Generally speaking we had nothing going 2nd half and what we had we gave away with penalties.

Reactions: Cloned

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Where exactly in these play sequences would you have tried harder to establish the run? It wasn't working in the 2nd half.

When it was working in the first quarter, Maas was more than happy to keep going to him.

Come on man....you really need to abandon this train of thought. Its a train that's going to crash. :nod:

I know what i watched and I watcehd a predictable offence in the 3rd quarter. Why didnt they run a screen pass? Why didnt they try to go off tackle?

Are you also going to defend running play action when they had no run game to speak of?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Come on man....you really need to abandon this train of thought. Its a train that's going to crash. :nod:

I know what i watched and I watcehd a predictable offence in the 3rd quarter. Why didnt they run a screen pass? Why didnt they try to go off tackle?

I don't disagree with your last sentence at all. Note that I said earlier that my concerns after tonight were the design of the run plays and/or the OL. The run game either has poor play design or Gable isn't hitting the holes, and/or the OL isn't doing a good job at opening up those holes.

But either way it wasn't working in the second half despite Maas giving a decent amount of touches to Gable.

I think where we disagree is HOW Maas is screwing up, NOT if he is screwing up (he is). I don't think he gave up on the run game. However, I think his run game scheming leaves much to be desired. As you said, go off tackle or something more creative.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't disagree with your last sentence at all. Note that I said earlier that my concerns after tonight were the design of the run plays and/or the OL. The run game either has poor play design or Gable isn't hitting the holes, and/or the OL isn't doing a good job at opening up those holes.

But either way it wasn't working in the second half despite Maas giving a decent amount of touches to Gable.

I think where we disagree is HOW Maas is screwing up, not if he is screwing up. I don't think he gave up on the run game. However, I think his run game scheming leaves much to be desired. As you said, go off tackle or something more creative.

It wasnt working because they didnt commit to it. Thats like putting in a less than part time commitment to a marriage and then wondering why your wife left...lol

The Esks did very little to help establish a running game. They call a few draws up the gut then gave up.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It wasnt working because they didnt commit to it. Thats like putting in a less than part time commitment to a marriage and then wondering why your wife left...lol

No, I think this is more like putting in a decent effort and committing to a marriage where the husband and wife don't get along at all, and there's a third wheel putting pressure on the marriage to break down.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Get out of here with the Reilly hate.

DISGUSTING that Reilly is again getting the criticism. He's taking an incredible amount of punishment this season and he's the ONLY reason this club is in a playoff position. Time and time again he saves this club and the MOMENT he doesn't pull off a miracle the axes come out. Friggen ridiculous.

This is a lukewarm football club and Reilly is the best player every game. This is two games in a row now where Duke is basically checked out and being covered easy. Wheres the criticism of him or taking a penalty that could have been the only objectionable conduct on the play? Duke wasn't running sharp patterns tonight and the interception in the endzone is ALL on him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No, I think this is more like putting in a decent effort and committing to a marriage where the husband and wife don't get along at all, and there's a third wheel putting pressure on the marriage to break down.

So you think that a game total of 11 carries including a few draw plays in the 2nd half defines a decent effort?
Seriously?

Shirley you cant be serious. :D

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

BC made adjustments at the half. I agree the run game was there in first half and Esks were going with it. There was nothing going in 2nd half. LEO's really tightened up and played good D in 2nd half. Esks D as per usual were pathetic. This is a Leos team without their allstar starting RB. BC was just rolling down the field the entire 2nd half.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Esks did very little to help establish a running game. They call a few draws up the gut then gave up.

Maybe where we disagree is semantics. I think calling any run play is attempting to establish a running game, regardless of how poor the design or scheming is. And Maas did a decent amount of that.

The problem with Maas is that your second sentence is absolutely correct. He calls vanilla running plays all game long. And that doesn't help to establish the run game at all. You may as well not run at all if your run schemes result in no gain.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
DISGUSTING that Reilly is again getting the criticism. He's taking an incredible amount of punishment this season and he's the ONLY reason this club is in a playoff position. Time and time again he saves this club and the MOMENT he doesn't pull off a miracle the axes come out. Friggen ridiculous.

This is a lukewarm football club and Reilly is the best player every game. This is two games in a row now where Duke is basically checked out and being covered easy. Wheres the criticism of him or taking a penalty that could have been the only objectionable conduct on the play? Duke wasn't running sharp patterns tonight and the interception in the endzone is ALL on him.
Get over it, Reilly was awful tonight, he will be better next week, he deserves criticism.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
:nod: Yes indeed but I guess you have to laugh at this stuff. We just haven't been able to hire a top notch coach in the last 15 years.

Anyway, if we want to host the big game in our own back yard then we will have to do it the hard way because I'm pretty sure the Stamps won't lose more than 3 games this season. First place is toast. I guess we hope for cross-over again. Pass the vodka boys.

And "hope" is indeed the operative word. Finishing higher than 5th in the West can't be taken for granted. Honestly.

We've beaten Chris Streveler in his first career game, Jonathan Jennings, James Franklin, Vernon Adams, and Collaros in his first game back from injury. And three of those were close calls.

This team tops out at 9-9, potentiality worse. I'll give us the win over Montreal. Probably split with Ottawa. Maybe we win in BC next time we're there. Who else are we beating? Calgary is two easy losses. We're not winning in Regina. We never win in Hamilton. The Bombers are much better than us, but they almost never win in Commonwealth so maybe we split those two home games we have against them.

I'm not even just being the bitter, angry asshole I normally am after losses. Based on the available evidence, this team could really post a losing record after a 5-2 start.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I get why you’d think that. There was about 2:24 on the clock and I don’t think there’s any guarantee they get the ball back if they punt. I’ve been criticizing Maas for punting instead of leaving it in the hands of Reilly so I’m not going to jump on him when he finally does it. They shot themselves in the foot again by taking a procedure penalty and making the third down gamble even harder. Lots of things to criticize Maas for. IMO, that decision wasn’t one of them.

The Esks D was so awful in 2nd half if they give up the ball there it was no guarantee the Esks were getting it back. It really didn't matter anyway. Its not what decided the game or anything.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So you think that a game total of 11 carries including a few draw plays in the 2nd half defines a decent effort?
Seriously?

Shirley you cant be serious. :D

Hey, he was committing to HIS version of the run, which admittedly is vanilla and predictable and doesn't really produce positive yardage. And when that positive yardage didn't come, he was forced to throw more. Vicious circle.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maybe where we disagree is semantics. I think calling any run play is attempting to establish a running game, regardless of how poor the design or scheming is. And Maas did a decent amount of that.

The problem with Maas is that your second sentence is absolutely correct. He calls vanilla running plays all game long. And that doesn't help to establish the run game at all. You may as well not run at all if your run schemes result in no gain.

We agree on Maas for sure.
Just to better define what it is I am trying to say....in terms of the run game IMO there has to be more of a commitment which means mixing up plays...running off tackle plays...running a screen occasionally...keeping the defence on their toes. THEN go back to the draw play.
The Esks did none of that tonight. When they did run they just kept trying to run the draw. They made it easy for BC to defend.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
BC made adjustments at the half. I agree the run game was there in first half and Esks were going with it. There was nothing going in 2nd half. LEO's really tightened up and played good D in 2nd half. Esks D as per usual were pathetic. This is a Leos team without their allstar starting RB. BC was just rolling down the field the entire 2nd half.

The Esks D were fine considering what field position the turnovers were putting them in. BC's offense started most of their fourth quarter drives on the Esks side of center, and the D held them to FGs.

Agree about everything else.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And "hope" is indeed the operative word. Finishing higher than 5th in the West can't be taken for granted. Honestly.

We've beaten Chris Streveler in his first career game, Jonathan Jennings, James Franklin, Vernon Adams, and Collaros in his first game back from injury. And three of those were close calls.

This team tops out at 9-9, potentiality worse. I'll give us the win over Montreal. Probably split with Ottawa. Maybe we win in BC next time we're there. Who else are we beating? Calgary is two easy losses. We're not winning in Regina. We never win in Hamilton. The Bombers are much better than us, but they almost never win in Commonwealth so maybe we split those two home games we have against them.

I'm not even just being the bitter, angry ******* I normally am after losses. Based on the available evidence, this team could really post a losing record after a 5-2 start.

The 5-3 start is really all about the schedule the Esks have had. Which only gets a hell of a lot harder in 2nd half of season. This is an ordinary lineup. I note a lot of players on this team that get big heads the moment they make a play but several of them disappeared on D in 2nd half. 60mins guys.

The way the Esks are playing they will struggle against all of Ottawa, Calgary, Winnipeg, Sask, Hamilton the rest of the way. Unfortunately that's the brunt of our games that are left.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hey, he was committing to HIS version of the run, which admittedly is vanilla and predictable and doesn't really produce positive yardage. And when that positive yardage didn't come, he was forced to throw more. Vicious circle.

LOL...nice job wiggling out of this.
I give you props for that. :nod:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We agree on Maas for sure.
Just to better define what it is I am trying to say....in terms of the run game IMO there has to be more of a commitment which means mixing up plays...running off tackle plays...running a screen occasionally...keeping the defence on their toes. THEN go back to the draw play.
The Esks did none of that tonight. When they did run they just kept trying to run the draw. They made it easy for BC to defend.

I can agree with that. I hope you understand what I am trying to say though. I think his commitment in terms of play balance is there; he is willing to call run plays, even when down in the game into the 4th quarter. The problem is his scheming results in his commitment (ironically) sabotaging his own offense, because his run plays don't get any positive yardage.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

That endzone pick is on whoever called the play, likely Maas. We needed 16 yards to score, and still 16 seconds left. Throwing it 40 to the back of the endzone should never for one second even be considered there. Two simple 8 yarders get the job done there. Christ, we could have run the ball. Maas called the worst, lowest percentage play he possibly could have.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Get over it, Reilly was awful tonight, he will be better next week, he deserves criticism.

Reilly played 6 fantastic games this season and the only reason we have a winning record. ONLY.

The criticism of him in this game is flat out ridiculous. This is as good as the Stamps get from Bo Levi Mitchell 9/10 games.

Did people suddenly forget the absolute pounding Reilly has taken all season? He's had to gut out wins nearly every week and putting his body on the line to do that. Did people seriously think he was going to play flawlessly while hurt for the rest of the season?

He won't necessarily be better anytime quick. We've used up a lot of Reilly so far this season. Remember last year when the team started losing games and it started going all downhill? In one month I wonder what our record is.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That endzone pick is on whoever called the play, likely Maas. We needed 16 yards to score, and still 16 seconds left. Throwing it 40 to the back of the endzone should never for one second even be considered there. Two simple 8 yarders get the job done there. Christ, we could have run the ball. Maas called the worst, lowest percentage play he possibly could have.

The club misses Zylstra and prime Bowman a lot. They were great route runners, great clutch possession receivers. Duke is great for highlight catches but his route running still drags down his overall game. Same goes for Walker.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
See my last post. ;)

I did.
I'll just say that I will leave it at that and I wont pursue it any more. :D

If the Esks win the Labour Day rematch game against the Stamps that will make up for this game. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad