Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Almost unfathomable that any GM could feel comfortable continuing to employ him as HC. Maas really is selling the idea that he in fact knew what he was doing and took a calculated gamble. As opposed to panicking and mistaking what the score of the game was. Either scenario is appalling, but this is getting to be too much. Good freaking heavens.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Almost unfathomable that any GM could feel comfortable continuing to employ him as HC. Maas really is selling the idea that he in fact knew what he was doing and took a calculated gamble. As opposed to panicking and mistaking what the score of the game was. Either scenario is appalling, but this is getting to be too much. Good freaking heavens.

Jason Maas has clearly learned nothing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Going to be interesting off-season.

First of all, was Maas going to be back next year anyway? New GM who had enough to worry about given when he took over the team. Maas might've been on his way out anyway.

Second, as Struds mention what the media and fans think really mean nothing at this point. What Sunderland is going to have to find out is what the players think. Despite what has been said around these parts, Maas has been a pretty successful coach. Is there really anything out there that is better? This is something Struds or Gregor mentioned that the players need to look at once the dust settles. "Who is out there that I rather play for".

Finally, if not Maas which recycled coach are we going to look at?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He could've came out and said "I f***ed up" and people would be just as mad at him. There really was nothing he could say or do after that game.

I guess counting just isn't a strong part of a CFL resume.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

First of all, was Maas going to be back next year anyway? New GM who had enough to worry about given when he took over the team. Maas might've been on his way out anyway.

Second, as Struds mention what the media and fans think really mean nothing at this point. What Sunderland is going to have to find out is what the players think. Despite what has been said around these parts, Maas has been a pretty successful coach. Is there really anything out there that is better? This is something Struds or Gregor mentioned that the players need to look at once the dust settles. "Who is out there that I rather play for".

Thats a problem for sure. Who replaces Maas?

That said what do you do with a coach that cant handle a big moment and wont learn a thing from the experience?
This would be entirely different if Maas manned up and owned his error....showed that he was capable of growth. Like Mike O Shea did.
I can respect that and at least it provides some hope moving forward.

Instead we have a coach who has a troubling temper and who has removed all doubt about his ability to grow.
Thats a a major issue IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He could've came out and said "I ****ed up" and people would be just as mad at him. There really was nothing he could say or do after that game.

Its not about being just as mad. Its about moving on. Admitting you are wrong opens the door to move on.
Doubling down on stupidity does the opposite.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thats a problem for sure. Who replaces Maas?

That said what do you do with a coach that cant handle a big moment and wont learn a thing from the experience?
This would be entirely different if Maas manned up and owned his error....showed that he was capable of growth. Like Mike O Shea did.
I can respect that and at least it provides some hope moving forward.

Instead we have a coach who has a troubling temper and who has removed all doubt about his ability to grow.
Thats a a major issue IMO.
You are just assuming that he won't learn a thing. Just because he says one thing doesn't mean after sitting down he won't admit to himself and the team that it was a mistake. The guy is already known for not liking the media as a coach, so is it really shocking how this has all played out so quickly after?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You are just assuming that he won't learn a thing. Just because he says one thing doesn't mean after sitting down he won't admit to himself and the team that it was a mistake. The guy is already known for not liking the media as a coach, so is it really shocking how this has all played out so quickly after?

You can infer a lot about a person when adversity hits. As a matter of fact it often reveals more than anything else.
How they handle the people around them and how they handle themselves is very telling.

Jason Maas has made a statement about what he is all about by virtue of how he has handled adversity throughout the season and this is the crowning issue.
Its clear that he doesn't learn and he will not change...period. If this wasnt true then he would be owning his error instead of doubling down to save face.

That is a major problem IMO.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Idiocy and prideful arrogance! The fact that he says he'd do it again is terrifying.

I'd really like to know if there's anyone else involved in football that thinks that Jason Maas is in the right and the call made logical sense. I dunno maybe we're the dumb ones that can't see the brilliancy in what he was trying to execute...
Like I said yesterday, I’ve seen this discussed on several forums and several sports news outlets. Outside of people affiliated with the Eskimos, no one has even bothered to try and defend or even debate his decision. Do you know how rare that is? There’s always somebody on tv willing to argue against the majority even if it’s just for something to talk about. Didn’t happen with this. Maas can try to rationalize it all he wants, nobody is backing him up, nobody.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Idiocy and prideful arrogance! The fact that he says he'd do it again is terrifying.

I'd really like to know if there's anyone else involved in football that thinks that Jason Maas is in the right and the call made logical sense. I dunno maybe we're the dumb ones that can't see the brilliancy in what he was trying to execute...
I've talked to a football exec who is shaking his head at that decision.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

It's a good question, there always seems to be so few quality candidates to choose from despite the fact that there are literally hundreds of American coaches at the college and pro levels who could learn the CFL game. I'd say its not exactly rocket science but then again we have the events of last Sunday....................

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Its official....Jason Maas is clueless....

He talks about going for a 2 for 1. He only needed 1 possession and he decides to go for 2 possessions.
I am speechless. I cant even listen to him anymore but for those that can here is the audio. Its just more stupid repeating itself over and over again. I dont often call someone an idiot but there is no other way to describe this...its all kinds of stupid. This is low IQ stuff folks.
Unbelievable. :shakehead
You can listen to Jason Maas and his pretzel logic and also listen to Morley Scott kissing his ass....

Head coach has no regrets after Edmonton Eskimos’ West Final loss

I told you, this was one of two possible explanations for his decision. So now he's not just an idiot - he's an arrogant, stubborn idiot. ;)

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Given the media statements, I have even less faith in Maas today than yesterday, and less faith in the organization.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
He could've came out and said "I ****ed up" and people would be just as mad at him. There really was nothing he could say or do after that game.

Everyone would be mad still, yes. I'm going to be mad about this til my dying breath.

But I might at least begrudgingly hold my nose and accept that he'll probably be back on the sideline next year if he just came out, admitted it was a panicked, boneheaded decision, and that he'd learn from it and not do it again. Instead, we have every reason to believe he would do the exact same thing again despite it making no logical sense whatsoever. If he's stubborn enough to defend an indefensible call, he's stubborn enough to do it again just to spite everyone even if deep down he knows he blew it.

As for replacements, it actually wouldn't be the worst time in the world to fire a coach. Paul Lapolice is available, as is Corey Chamblin. Scooping Claybrooks from the Stampeders would have the added benefit of weakening a rival.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Could be an exec of a 5 year old's team and they'd be correct

For sure. I am just wondering if the conversation is happening inside the team.

Its one thing to know and not say anything...its another thing all together to talk openly about it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Everyone would be mad still, yes. I'm going to be mad about this til my dying breath.

But I might at least begrudgingly hold my nose and accept that he'll probably be back on the sideline next year if he just came out, admitted it was a panicked, boneheaded decision, and that he'd learn from it and not do it again. Instead, we have every reason to believe he would do the exact same thing again despite it making no logical sense whatsoever. If he's stubborn enough to defend an indefensible call, he's stubborn enough to do it again just to spite everyone even if deep down he knows he blew it.

As for replacements, it actually wouldn't be the worst time in the world to fire a coach. Paul Lapolice is available, as is Corey Chamblin. Scooping Claybrooks from the Stampeders would have the added benefit of weakening a rival.

Claybrooks is pretty good but who says he'd be interested in leaving, why would he.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well gents, I could be wrong but I don't think there is any talk within the "football execs" of the EE about firing Maas. Like him or not I can't see Rhodes giving him the axe. I don't have any specific info about this but when I look back at the last decade of the club the guy at the top wasn't overly concerned with fan(s) opinions.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well Sunderland today totally defended the call, said theres nothing wrong with it, it was in the spirit of winning..

Interestingly in the same article it notes that TSN had footage of Sunderland holding his head in apparent agony when the FG team came out.

So truth Eskimos style then..

Vanilla response no controversy, stick by the decision, too bad fans have zero faith. (he didn't state the last part)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I noticed the game is being replayed Friday night at 8PM on TSN. I’m going to record it just to replay those final two minutes and the post game. I was so angry that I missed all the off field reactions. It will be interesting to see them now.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well Sunderland today totally defended the call, said theres nothing wrong with it, it was in the spirit of winning..

Interestingly in the same article it notes that TSN had footage of Sunderland holding his head in apparent agony when the FG team came out.

So truth Eskimos style then..

Vanilla response no controversy, stick by the decision, too bad fans have zero faith. (he didn't state the last part)

I think this is pretty much in keeping with the philosophy over the last decade. If the fans don't like it well you don't have to come to the games..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad