Edmonton Elks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Time will tell if it was the right move. Last time he played with us he was 32, and now he's 34. Getting up there in football age.
True, and we may not even play again this year. We might have one of the better teams out there that never plays, and then have contracts expire and lose another coach next winter. Wouldn't that be rich.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
True, and we may not even play again this year. We might have one of the better teams out there that never plays, and then have contracts expire and lose another coach next winter. Wouldn't that be rich.

I felt bad for the SP Crusaders last year. Had so many years of middling teams, and finally struck gold with their roster last year, with Savoie and Benning, and had a great chance at a national championship. Then poof, the season was cancelled. CFL pretty much has to play this year to survive. If we don't get timely vaccines in the arms of their fans, they are screwed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I felt bad for the SP Crusaders last year. Had so many years of middling teams, and finally struck gold with their roster last year, with Savoie and Benning, and had a great chance at a national championship. Then poof, the season was cancelled. CFL pretty much has to play this year to survive. If we don't get timely vaccines in the arms of their fans, they are screwed.
Might have to fill the stands with seniors and LTC workers.

Reactions: bellagiobob

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I am a bit surprised by this decision.

My understanding was that when he retired he was going to be an Edmonton police officer and thus you would have expected that he would finish his career with the Eskimos and remain anchored with the city and the club but times and circumstances change.

At age 34, most D-lineman are on borrowed time and with the very tight salary caps around the league I doubt that he will get much more money especially on an after tax basis.

Still, it's a shame and he is a rare talent. He was double teamed for most of his career and that made life a lot easier for his mates on the line. He is certainly a hall of famer. Apart from Dave Fennell I can't think of a better D-lineman that ever played for the Eskies.

His departure will open up a chance for one of the Canadian D-lineman like Charles or Betts (assuming they are back).

Of course we still don't know if there will even be a season.

Perhaps he will reconsider and rejoin the team.

Either way, thanks for everything.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What a horrible time to be a CFL Edmonton fan.

No doubt.

- a decade of bad hires in the GM and coaching positions
-team name taken down by wokesters
-abandoned by sponsors and long term ally the Edmonton Journal
-called racists by CBC
-covid 19 cancelled the 2020 season
-potential bankruptcy and liquidation of the stabilization fund
-HC leaves for the NFL without having coached a game.
-HOF lineman and prominent face of the team leaves the club

Yikes, tough times but once an Eskimo fan always an Eskimo fan.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I am a bit surprised by this decision.

My understanding was that when he retired he was going to be an Edmonton police officer and thus you would have expected that he would finish his career with the Eskimos and remain anchored with the city and the club but times and circumstances change.

At age 34, most D-lineman are on borrowed time and with the very tight salary caps around the league I doubt that he will get much more money especially on an after tax basis.

Still, it's a shame and he is a rare talent. He was double teamed for most of his career and that made life a lot easier for his mates on the line. He is certainly a hall of famer. Apart from Dave Fennell I can't think of a better D-lineman that ever played for the Eskies.

His departure will open up a chance for one of the Canadian D-lineman like Charles or Betts (assuming they are back).

Of course we still don't know if there will even be a season.

Perhaps he will reconsider and rejoin the team.

Either way, thanks for everything.
I think Charles and Betts are defensive ends, while Almonda is a tackle, so I don't think they are interchangeable. Not sure if we have an in house replacement or are hoping a recruit fills the spot, or another option in free agency.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No doubt.

- a decade of bad hires in the GM and coaching positions
-team name taken down by wokesters
-abandoned by sponsors and long term ally the Edmonton Journal
-called racists by CBC
-covid 19 cancelled the 2020 season
-potential bankruptcy and liquidation of the stabilization fund
-HC leaves for the NFL without having coached a game.
-HOF lineman and prominent face of the team leaves the club

Yikes, tough times but once an Eskimo fan always an Eskimo fan.
You forgot about all the bonuses paid, and Milanovich collecting 500,000 without coaching a down.

Now, you may go and hang yourself.;)

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I believe Sewell leaving was hinted at earlier this offseason, so I'm actually not shocked.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You forgot about all the bonuses paid, and Milanovich collecting 500,000 without coaching a down.

Now, you may go and hang yourself.;)
Is this true? Milanovich was paid that much up front? If so, between that and the name change, this organization has lost a fortune since the last time they played a down. I knew the situation was dire financially, didn’t know it was that bad.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Is this true? Milanovich was paid that much up front? If so, between that and the name change, this organization has lost a fortune since the last time they played a down. I knew the situation was dire financially, didn’t know it was that bad.

There were some people who suggested that the $13M stabilization fund would be essentially exhausted within 2 years. I have no idea if that is true or not but obviously there are no revenues coming in.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Or just hope that the door opens for what a number of NFL teams did: offer up pockets of socially-distanced seating, mask up, enjoy football, and take COVID day by day.
The difference is, is that the NFL teams have most if not all of their expenses paid for by the monstrous TV deals they get, and the attendance just either tops off covering costs or leaving a whole lot of gravy, along with merchandising. In the CFL, I'm not sure they can make it with little pockets of fans here and there. Unless you're running the Argos of course, in which case that's what they usually have for attendance.;)

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad