Edmonton Elks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Presson said last night, they are going to keep the Edmonton Fight Song alive. Really. Very interested how they are going to fit a one syllable name into a song where the 3 syllable name worked perfectly.

Elkimos?

Bring in Jagger/Richards-- they have a way of bending the lyrics so it can fit with any melody or riff.

Wild Elkimos--couldn't drag my ball away................Wild, Wild Elkimos-- we'll ride them some day.....

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
This is the big thing for me. I think the game experience itself is fine; problem isn't the game, it's the lack of butts in the seats.

If the were to just reduce ticket costs in half and fill the damn stadium the experience gets way better naturally.

No reason to be charging 40 dollars a seat when you have 10000 of them empty. Make a standard seat a competitive family entertainment option vs say a movie theater.

You could half the price or more of all the unsold tickets and anything you sell is pure profit vs currently, not even considering the new fans you're generating or extra consession sales.

It's massive the difference it makes in a packed stadium. One of my favourite sporting experiences of all time was when I was at the game where the Esks shut out the Stamps on the Labour Day rematch and 64'000 (iirc) of us had a Calgary sucks chant going from the far end of the stadium to the LRT. When Winston October ran out a missed field goal in the 4th the house just lost it. Amazing. It hasn't been like that for over a decade. I actually think Esk games were always better live than the Oilers and I converted many of my buddies back in the day when I was a young guy. If they could get more butts in the seats I truly believe that people will realize what they've been missing. I know they don't have the same capacity they used to but it's still an absurd number and there's no reason to be having 25'000 people in the house when you could cut the prices of some seats and have another 10'000 and get it back to the old days of 35'00 plus every night. It simply makes the product better.

The CFL and Elks are more than just football in this town, or at least it used to be. It was about culture and identity. I think for some of us who are a bit older that's why the name change stun so much, we remember what this team meant to the community. Gizmo was as big as nearly anybody on the Oilers in this town because those guys were in the schools and the grocery store parking lots making that connection with the city. Somewhere along the way that connection was lost. Maybe it's just the times but I feel it's more than that. I think the Eskimos got carried away with profits and trying to compensate for the on field product with gimmicks and hooks when it was never about that. The Eskimos for me were more Edmonton than the Oilers as it just felt more human with how much more accessible the league was to attend and interact with.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Edmonton has long focussed on the athleticism of the cheer squad instead of sexuality, and have included a pretty good balance of males and females, so I think they are well positioned to keep theirs going while other teams will likely need to make their cheer squads more "inclusive".
I went to Victoria High School and they had an amazing cheer squad for many years back in the day. I know how talented they are. Oddly enough since we're on the topic of PC i'll have to mention our school moniker was the "Redmen". lol.

Reactions: bone and oilers'72

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
This is the big thing for me. I think the game experience itself is fine; problem isn't the game, it's the lack of butts in the seats.

If the were to just reduce ticket costs in half and fill the damn stadium the experience gets way better naturally.

No reason to be charging 40 dollars a seat when you have 10000 of them empty. Make a standard seat a competitive family entertainment option vs say a movie theater.

You could half the price or more of all the unsold tickets and anything you sell is pure profit vs currently, not even considering the new fans you're generating or extra consession sales.
I bought my seasons tickets for 99 dollars in which I have yet to use. It's on the first row of upper level near the scoreboard. Section N. The next isle from my seat is the bronze level which is around 300 dollars. The 99 dollars were for a numbers of sections and those sold out within hours. I agree with what you're saying but the team risks pissing off their higher tier season ticket holders that pay hundreds of dollars for their seats.

Reactions: oilers'72

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Change that thread title. This is an Elk town now.
ClY3vDo.gif

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's massive the difference it makes in a packed stadium. One of my favourite sporting experiences of all time was when I was at the game where the Esks shut out the Stamps on the Labour Day rematch and 64'000 (iirc) of us had a Calgary sucks chant going from the far end of the stadium to the LRT. When Winston October ran out a missed field goal in the 4th the house just lost it. Amazing. It hasn't been like that for over a decade. I actually think Esk games were always better live than the Oilers and I converted many of my buddies back in the day when I was a young guy. If they could get more butts in the seats I truly believe that people will realize what they've been missing. I know they don't have the same capacity they used to but it's still an absurd number and there's no reason to be having 25'000 people in the house when you could cut the prices of some seats and have another 10'000 and get it back to the old days of 35'00 plus every night. It simply makes the product better.

The CFL and Elks are more than just football in this town, or at least it used to be. It was about culture and identity. I think for some of us who are a bit older that's why the name change stun so much, we remember what this team meant to the community. Gizmo was as big as nearly anybody on the Oilers in this town because those guys were in the schools and the grocery store parking lots making that connection with the city. Somewhere along the way that connection was lost. Maybe it's just the times but I feel it's more than that. I think the Eskimos got carried away with profits and trying to compensate for the on field product with gimmicks and hooks when it was never about that. The Eskimos for me were more Edmonton than the Oilers as it just felt more human with how much more accessible the league was to attend and interact with.

When I was younger (and I'm only in my early 30's) there would be a buzz ahead of really big games and the Eskimos would be water cooler talk.

Now even when they won the Grey Cup you barely heard about it. It's just way off everyone's radar under 50 years old.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I went to Victoria High School and they had an amazing cheer squad for many years back in the day. I know how talented they are. Oddly enough since we're on the topic of PC i'll have to mention our school moniker was the "Redmen". lol.

I think you have to be in very good shape and be very disciplined to do something like this. It takes much more talent than people realize.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Interesting to read Jone's column today and the comments of Ian Murray, the new Board Chair of the Eskimos.

He said that they absolutely did not want to do this but in the end had no choice given the relentless pressure that was applied. I am paraphrasing what he said so read it yourself. His comments about "re-branding" were also of interest.

And looking at "President" Presson yesterday-- he seems to have aged 50 years in the last 12 months. Such are the rigors of life at the top.
Jones referred to the team, early in the article, as the Eximos. They should have just gone with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad