Edmonton Elks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
So I am somewhat wondering what the response will be to old gear. I mean I'm assuming its allowed in. I'd walk away if anybody tried to say I couldn't wear gear emblazoned with Eskimos anymore. But I kind of wonder if theres going to be any reaction in the stands to something like wearing what gear. hopefully not but add alcohol, passion, and amped atmosphere of a game and anything can happen.

In the case of stuff just with EE on it good that they retained that.

You never know, but I wouldn't expect it unless the person wearing the old gear was being deliberately obnoxious about it. If a person started getting up in the face of a person in the crowd wearing old gear, but who is still being respectful in the building, there'd be enough people to back that person off and bring in security.

I also really doubt the team will turn someone away from the doors because they are wearing old gear that still shows support for the team. They need as many in the building as possible so why would they physically turn someone who was obviously a fan (at least at some point) because of a shirt. I'm sure they'll want to encourage you to update your gear, but wouldn't they want you to do that even had they not changed their name.

Fortuantely, the word hasn't been overly prominent in a lot of their gear over the last few years so a lot of it will be phasing out naturally.

edit:
Bellagiobob just said better than me. There are going to be more people in the crowd that aren't upset enough about seeing the old name to be mad about it vs the type that would be mad about it. It's all about how the person wearing the old gear acts. If they start shouting "f*** you Elks... Go Eskimos" or other derogatory words towards the franchise in general about this move then maybe some may get defensive, but not otherwise.

Hell, most of us have put up with Rider fans all these years and they generally act like assholes claiming to occupy more than half the building when it's more likely 10-20% only. They also have very offensive looking merch (at least to me its offensive)

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can't imagine it being a problem. 99.9% of the fans in the stands will be the same people who have always gone, with the majority not in favor of the name change, but have decided to support the team regardless, cause we love football. Anyone that would give you issue won't be at the game, they will be at the next scheduled protest. ;)
I haven't been able to make this transition. I feel sold out by the club. maybe I shouldn't feel that way, but its still my reaction in the moment. Not sure what or when or if it changes. League officiating, player turnstile movement, already turned me off the product. Post Reilly move and Sunderland era, I haven't liked where the team is headed. For sure I haven't liked a community org air lifting in a CEO that knows nothing about Edmonton, CFL, or the Esks. Worse, now with his current statements I think they airlifted in this guy just to make these changes. It all reminds me of the slide with this org, and when Len Rhodes stated theres more important things than winning. Well, thats a disconnect to me in pro sports where the object is winning, but increasingly it seems pro sports is about something else now.

tbh if a Soccer team played at Commonwealth I would go to that now before going to "Elks" games. If more concerts occur that are any good I would go to that. Almost any other event. My support of something, jmo, its not unconditional. The train left the station, and I left the station on foot its looking like.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I haven't been able to make this transition. I feel sold out by the club. maybe I shouldn't feel that way, but its still my reaction in the moment. Not sure what or when or if it changes. League officiating, player turnstile movement, already turned me off the product. Post Reilly move and Sunderland era, I haven't liked where the team is headed. For sure I haven't liked a community org air lifting in a CEO that knows nothing about Edmonton, CFL, or the Esks. Worse, now with his current statements I think they airlifted in this guy just to make these changes. It all reminds me of the slide with this org, and when Len Rhodes stated theres more important things than winning. Well, thats a disconnect to me in pro sports where the object is winning, but increasingly it seems pro sports is about something else now.

tbh if a Soccer team played at Commonwealth I would go to that now before going to "Elks" games. If more concerts occur that are any good I would go to that. Almost any other event. My support of something, jmo, its not unconditional. The train left the station, and I left the station on foot its looking like.
If they bring in Green Day as the half-time entertainment, then I would go for sure.;)

P.S. The above is my best attempt at trolling.:D

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

My love of football trumps my dislike for the name change process, but I can understand how others may feel differently about it. My anger is gone, and I'm now looking forward to watching the boys on the field. Time will tell, but after reviewing the roster, I think we will have a decent team this year. I'm a lifer in regards to the Esks/Elks and Oilers. Clearly I have unconditional love for them, as I'm still a diehard fan of both, even after so many screwups by both teams. Taking it a step further, there is no logical way that I should still be watching any NHL games after the horrific mismanagement of the game by the league over the years, and it seems to be getting worse. But here I am, waiting for the next game to start. So apparently my support is unconditional. Although while I still do watch a lot of hockey, it is less than I used to watch, so maybe the unconditional part is wearing thin, slowly, year by year.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I wonder what happens with the fight song.

"... and the Edmonton Elks!"

Kind of kills the jingle.

We're cheering fight, fight, fight on Edmonton
We're marching right, right, right on Edmonton
We're charging down the field for all to see
And shouting "rah, rah, rah" fight on to victory
We're fighting on 'til every game is won
The green and gold is bold and when we're done
We'll tell the world we're proud of Edmonton
And the Edmonton Elks... Let's Go!!!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My love of football trumps my dislike for the name change process, but I can understand how others may feel differently about it. My anger is gone, and I'm now looking forward to watching the boys on the field. Time will tell, but after reviewing the roster, I think we will have a decent team this year. I'm a lifer in regards to the Esks/Elks and Oilers. Clearly I have unconditional love for them, as I'm still a diehard fan of both, even after so many screwups by both teams. Taking it a step further, there is no logical way that I should still be watching any NHL games after the horrific mismanagement of the game by the league over the years, and it seems to be getting worse. But here I am, waiting for the next game to start. So apparently my support is unconditional. Although while I still do watch a lot of hockey, it is less than I used to watch, so maybe the unconditional part is wearing thin, slowly, year by year.

Sounds like similar things happen. I seem further in that direction. To me its to the point of watching NO CFL game, not necessarily even all playoff games, except if its the Eskimos in it. Thats the degree of disconnection with the CFL product I've reached. I'll still tune into a game if people are talking about a player or team to check it out, but not really through self interest.

Far as hockey more and mroe I'm not even watching other clubs much. I watch the Canadian division games, watch the Vegas games, thats it now. The others I'll tune in and tune out. Watched a period of Carolina the other day and forget it, they even won the game. But there was just little reason to watch. I wasn't enjoying it. After a while current NHL play just seems so formulaic. Teams scoring the same way, same passes across. Same goalies stoning. I'm starting to lose my hockey religion. I mean I haven't, but its possibly in the mail.

I'm channel surfing AWAY from playoff games now. That never happened before.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Eh. Not terrible.

Still feels weird though.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

fighting is divisive and non inclusive and symbolizes and perpetuates domination.

;)

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

It just feels like an expansion team to me now. It was the Eskimos and EE (on the helmet and as the main logo) that I cheered for wholeheartedly and gave me all the fun times and memories, not the "Elks" and the ridiculous landscaping company logo.

Will still cheer for them as if the MLB or another league dropped an expansion club in Edmonton, but it will be a slow build to be able to identify with this team the same way I did with the Eskimos. If it even happens at all.

Even if they just changed the name and kept "EE" as the main logo I might feel differently, but a top to bottom rebrand after they promised that it wouldn't be the case gives me an empty feeling with zero connection to the old team.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Reminds me of the time I went to major wrestling event (WWE) and there were so many homemade signs blocking my view. I was furious. Put the F'g thing down.

That's my pet peeve at concerts, the people who have their phones up for the entire concert, recording it. I understand a few photos and short videos, but not the whole damn concert.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
That's my pet peeve at concerts, the people who have their phones up for the entire concert, recording it. I understand a few photos and short videos, but not the whole damn concert.
Yeah, that is another thing. Are you really in the moment when you have your phone up video taping the entire concert? Last three concerts I went to ( Elton John, Billy Joel and Kraftwerk). I took short video clips here and there just to spark my 50+year old memory about the event. Wonder if those people have their phone cameras at each other's face :laugh: while having sex too . :naughty:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Very clever....:thumbu:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah, that is another thing. Are you really in the moment when you have your phone up video taping the entire concert? Last three concerts I went to ( Elton John, Billy Joel and Kraftwerk). I took short video clips here and there just to spark my 50+year old memory about the event. Wonder if those people have their phone cameras at each other's face :laugh: while having sex too . :naughty:
Off topic a bit, but what was that Kraftwerk concert like? All I can get in my mind is 90 minutes of Bahn, bahn, bahn bahn...autobahn!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Off topic a bit, but what was that Kraftwerk concert like? All I can get in my mind is 90 minutes of Bahn, bahn, bahn bahn...autobahn!

This one I could always spell hehe.

But yeah, had the same thought as you, what would that concert be like. after Autobahn that it starts getting hard to listen to. Even that song being pretty repetitive. Doesn't have the same appeal now as when you're hearing moog synthesizers early on..

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

To me its just so silly. I mean there we are at a Metallica Concert at Commonwealth and people be filming it. Like, c'mon Metallica provide full videos of all their concerta and have been doing that for years, in hd quality, not the crap sound and vision from your smartphone. Just watch the concert and let other people see it too. great show btw. What I like about the Metallica Edmonton Show is the EE symbol off to the right through most of the concert, which gives it a nice Edmonton feel to it.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Don't know .. was phone recording the whole thing.. Haha....j/k.... The experience was great. Their more recent concerts ( last decade) were in 3D which added alot to it. Lots of minimal electronica sounds. Nerdy electro if you will. ..so yes, lot of Bahn Bahn.:laugh:.. Here's a collage of photos I took. Olympia Theater, Miami 2015
IMG_20150929_2358112_rewind-COLLAGE.jpg

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
This one I could always spell hehe.

But yeah, had the same thought as you, what would that concert be like. after Autobahn that it starts getting hard to listen to. Even that song being pretty repetitive. Doesn't have the same appeal now as when you're hearing moog synthesizers early on..
Yeah...There is a lot of repetition which I actually find somewhat hypnotic. They do a great job giving a fresh , new experience with mixing of their studio originals at the concerts though. Not for everyone but been a fan since the early 80s. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it now . Same with any other band or genre including Metallica or Megadeth ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad