Elks: Edmonton Elks Part 2

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
lmao

Its actually harder to remember to have your smartphone, and ensure its charged enough, has enough power to use brightest screen setting. and requires more attention, and the damn smartphone doesn't fit easy in a pocket, is uncomfortable, carrying the stupid paperweight around all day and buying a ticket and sticking it in your wallet is the easiest thing.

Can't count the number of times I put the smartphone in the vehicle dash holder and then forget about it.

How is it a hassle to just have your ticket in your wallet. The smartphone is cumbersome, paper tickets are not.
Phones are integral to peoples lives. They carry them everywhere and all the time and somehow we manage to keep them charged and not leave them laying around. I have an iphone 11 and it fits in my pocket just fine.

I get you don't like change, that is quite evident with your comments. As posted earlier, you can still contact the team and get old school paper tickets. But for the majority of people, we are quite comfortable with etickets. So much more convenient as you carry your phone with you all the time anyways.

Who carries a wallet anymore???

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
60% of SENIORS do not even own a smarphone. 85% of them have either a smartphone or cellphone but a significant amount still don't have a smartphone. 11 yrs ago only 30% of adults had a smartphone.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...ies-among-older-canadians-poll-865959030.html

Looks to be about close to 70% of Seniors have smartphones. The number one thing I see at concerts and sporting events is people playing on their smartphones. They are everywhere. You're fighting a losing battle bro. ;)

Reactions: oilers'72

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Most every sport team /concert / event is going this direction for tickets. Even your boarding pass for flights is on your phone now. Seriously, it's not that hard. Log in to your EE account and it's literally 5 clicks to get your tickets. There's even a how to on the Elks website that is quite easy if you follow along.

The majority of people today don't want to have to carry a paper ticket, or find a printer to print off a piece of paper and bring it with them, or even have to remember to grab their tickets from home in the morning and carry them with them all day if they are out before a game and risk losing them. What a hassle. Talk about old school and archaic. Electronic ticket on your phone is so much easier and convenient.

And for people like myself that simply do not require a phone and a phone plan? And if I had one would not take it every where that I went.

So you can no longer go to concerts, sports events, travel if you do not wish to get a phone?

Cell phone companies and the over priced inflated phone plans must just be licking their chops.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Phones are integral to peoples lives. They carry them everywhere and all the time and somehow we manage to keep them charged and not leave them laying around. I have an iphone 11 and it fits in my pocket just fine.

I get you don't like change, that is quite evident with your comments. As posted earlier, you can still contact the team and get old school paper tickets. But for the majority of people, we are quite comfortable with etickets. So much more convenient as you carry your phone with you all the time anyways.

LOL I carry a wallet, use cash on many transactions and I have no phone.

Oh I'll end up with one sooner or later, but not by my choice.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
My 74 mother has a smartphone. Uses it all the time. Taking pictures, playing games, booking restaurant reservations, posting on social media, texting me endlessly....lol...
I get there are some out there that haven't caught up on technology or refuse to, but they are greatly in the minority.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
And for people like myself that simply do not require a phone and a phone plan? And if I had one would not take it every where that I went.

So you can no longer go to concerts, sports events, travel if you do not wish to get a phone?

Cell phone companies and the over priced inflated phone plans must just be licking their chops.
As mentioned, you can still get a paper copy if you contact the team.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I just carry a mini credit card holder that has my drivers license and my credit card in it. Really compact. Never use the credit card, as use Apple Pay for everything, but have it as a backup. Paper tickets are a hassle. People forgetting them at home or at work, losing them, waiting for an hour to meet your buddy to give him his ticket, etc. The one feature I love about digital tickets is there have been a bunch of times where we couldn't use the tickets at the last minute, or one of us couldn't go, and with a quick text to a buddy, the tickets are transferred.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

You can buy your ticket at the team office or print your tickets online. There are options.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I just carry a mini credit card holder that has my drivers license and my credit card in it. Really compact. Never use the credit card, as use Apple Pay for everything, but have it as a backup. Paper tickets are a hassle. People forgetting them at home or at work, losing them, waiting for an hour to meet your buddy to give him his ticket, etc. The one feature I love about digital tickets is there have been a bunch of times where we couldn't use the tickets at the last minute, or one of us couldn't go, and with a quick text to a buddy, the tickets are transferred.
Agreed. I do the same thing, carry a small card holder for my drivers license, credit card, debit card. That's it. I never carry cash. No need for it anymore as less and less places are accepting it. Who wants a pocket full of coins.

Love the convenience of the etickets. I was out for dinner one night and my boss texted me last minute with tickets to an Oilers game as he suddenly couldn't go. Half hour later I was walking in to Rogers place. Wouldn't have happened the old school way.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
People who complain they cannot get a smartphone or cant figure out how to get your tickets on it should probably get with today's crowd. It's really not that difficult, and you don't NEED an expensive smartphone. You can get one of the cheaper ones, with a small data plan (30 bucks a month) and just have the app on your phone and it all set up. It's not like it's rocket science. And yes, I still use a wallet. But I'm almost at the point where I might not need it soon too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Integral, not for everybody. Most of the time the wifes smartphone and ours isn't even used. Most of the time hers isn't even charged. Dozen years in and neither of us really give a toss about them. We like them incase we need them as phones when out. Other than that hardly any reason to have them for our typical use, and being retired.

I would never go anywhere without my wallet and if you drive you HAVE to have your license and ID on you at all times. you seriously don't carry a wallet. I don't know one male that doesn't have a wallet they take with them everywhere.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
COVID-19 has significantly increased the use of many technologies among older Canadians: poll

Looks to be about close to 70% of Seniors have smartphones. The number one thing I see at concerts and sporting events is people playing on their smartphones. They are everywhere. You're fighting a losing battle bro. ;)

Demographics of Mobile Device Ownership and Adoption in the United States | Pew Research Center

61% just like I stated. many more of the seniors that have them, would barely know how to use them.

Smartphones are too complicated and feature packed. Most analysts feel they are poorly configured for the average user and are top heavy and drowned with features, programs few use.

Smartphones Are Too Complicated | Time

This is not an isolated opinion. Smartphones currently are tech bloatware. overloaded, over complicated. i assume you were in business and had to use em. Most of us hated the idea of it. I went till age 50 without one and only got one because work finally REQUIRED it.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry bud, but you're a dinosaur. And I'm a 60+. ;)

I am when it comes to a smartphone with fonts too small for me to even see. I have a -10 lens corrective prescription and I'm slowly going blind in one of the eyes. So that I can use a computer screen fine because the size of the screen allows for fonts and easy navigation. Smartphones, even bigger ones are so small its almost imposible for me to read anything on there and I have to resize it. Given how many seniors have presbyobia, cataracts, vision problems I can't be alone in this.

Don't even get me started on trying to type anything with these bricklayer hands I have.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Integral, not for everybody. Most of the time the wifes smartphone and ours isn't even used. Most of the time hers isn't even charged. Dozen years in and neither of us really give a toss about them. We like them incase we need them as phones when out. Other than that hardly any reason to have them for our typical use, and being retired.

I would never go anywhere without my wallet and if you drive you HAVE to have your license and ID on you at all times. you seriously don't carry a wallet. I don't know one male that doesn't have a wallet they take with them everywhere.

This is what I use. Slots on both sides. Use an App that stores all of my loyalty cards.

fossil-Green-Steven-Card-Case-Wallet.jpeg

My wife has gone from carrying a big purse down to this:

Luxury-Leather-Flip-Case-For-Apple-iPhone-6-6s-Plus-Protective-Wallet-Phone-Cover-iPhone-6.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

yeah, my list of reasons for needing a smartphone stops at one. Its a phone. I only ever got one because work was requiring it And provided it. I got my first Smartphone because I was on longterm contract with a provider that was required by law to give me a free smartphone at same rate as my cellphone, because they changed their network. I don't even bother with mobile data plan because I would never use it for anything.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Demographics of Mobile Device Ownership and Adoption in the United States | Pew Research Center

61% just like I stated. many more of the seniors that have them, would barely know how to use them.

Smartphones are too complicated and feature packed. Most analysts feel they are poorly configured for the average user and are top heavy and drowned with features, programs few use.

Smartphones Are Too Complicated | Time

This is not an isolated opinion. Smartphones currently are tech bloatware. overloaded, over complicated. i assume you were in business and had to use em. Most of us hated the idea of it. I went till age 50 without one and only got one because work finally REQUIRED it.

You're losing me. You had said earlier that 60% of seniors don't have a smart phone, and this link shows that 60% of them do.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is what I use. Slots on both sides. Use an App that stores all of my loyalty cards.

fossil-Green-Steven-Card-Case-Wallet.jpeg

My wife has gone from carrying a big purse down to this:

Luxury-Leather-Flip-Case-For-Apple-iPhone-6-6s-Plus-Protective-Wallet-Phone-Cover-iPhone-6.jpg

You're all weird;)Now you're gonna tell me women don't wear purses for fashion accessories, to carry around 10lbs of junk and enough makeup for a cheerleader squad..

I think I've never met a woman that wasn't carrying purse around everywhere.

So heres a question. youre located in a firestorm right now. What happens if networks go down. You're f***ed?

People should always carry some money around for emergency, or plastic. Or both.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
You're all weird;)Now you're gonna tell me women don't wear purses for fashion accessories, to carry around 10lbs of junk and enough makeup for a cheerleader squad..

So heres a question. youre located in a firestorm right now. What happens if networks go down. You're f***ed?

People should always carry some money around for emergency, or plastic. Or both.
Lol...aren't you f'd also in that same firestorm since you don't carry a cell phone?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
People who complain they cannot get a smartphone or cant figure out how to get your tickets on it should probably get with today's crowd. It's really not that difficult, and you don't NEED an expensive smartphone. You can get one of the cheaper ones, with a small data plan (30 bucks a month) and just have the app on your phone and it all set up. It's not like it's rocket science. And yes, I still use a wallet. But I'm almost at the point where I might not need it soon too.

So people should just lineup and pay hundreds of bucks a year on even a cheap plan, drop a couple hundred on a smartphone they don't even want, because time marches on?

Had one now for a dozen years and if it dropped in the bottom of a lake I seriously wouldn't be missing anything.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
yeah, my list of reasons for needing a smartphone stops at one. Its a phone. I only ever got one because work was requiring it And provided it. I got my first Smartphone because I was on longterm contract with a provider that was required by law to give me a free smartphone at same rate as my cellphone, because they changed their network. I don't even bother with mobile data plan because I would never use it for anything.
Without mobile I wouldn’t even be a poster here. I’ve posted on an actual computer maybe handful of times. It’s funny how different people are about things like that. My father didn’t even own a cellphone until the iPhone 6 or something. Pretty recent.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

My wife now carries just a little mini purse when we go out for the evening, but just the phone holder one when popping out to the store, etc. And she's a purseso-holic, with one closet full of purses, so this is a big change for her.The credit card holder I use has room for two credit cards, my DL and AHC card, and I tuck a couple of bills in the inside pouch, so pretty much all that I need. If we have to leave due to the fire, and had paper tickets in the house, they would burn to a crisp. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol...aren't you f'd also in that same firestorm since you don't carry a cell phone?

I ALWAYS carry a cellphone or smartphone when I travel. I'm also a ham radio operator so my device works better than yours in ANY situation. So no, I'm never really in any shitstorm. In fact i've been part of a community of ham radio operators that helped in disaster relief and missions when many other communications systems were all down, which is commonplace in catastrophe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad