Elks: Edmonton Elks Part 2

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
Just because I'm curious about these types of things suffice to say that everybody attending will be getting a free shirt. Unless there is somehow huge game day sales or something. There hasn't been much sold since they've been available as single game purchases. Team said they sold 1K new STH before that. How many they lose?

No way this is going to be the sellout they were hoping for. More likely 30K, and with tons of promotion. Games after that fall off from there. Seems like a lot of promotions on first game.

they never where pushing for a sell out. They hope for 40k plus. I agree it'll be around 30k ( higher if the weather holds up ). Of course they are lots of promotions - new era and first game after a long time. Personally I dont see the attendance dropping off as you put it. IMO it'll hover around 30 all season and course be higher when Cal/Sask are in town.

Good Product on the field, good weather will help increase the attendance. Once more and more people figure out the digital tickets it'll be a moot point and more will show up. Esk fans have always pooped on any sort of change and digital tix is a biggie. I'm use to it myself had to do it for MLB, NFL and concerts... it was annoying the first time - now I prefer it

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
they never where pushing for a sell out. They hope for 40k plus. I agree it'll be around 30k ( higher if the weather holds up ). Of course they are lots of promotions - new era and first game after a long time. Personally I dont see the attendance dropping off as you put it. IMO it'll hover around 30 all season and course be higher when Cal/Sask are in town.

Good Product on the field, good weather will help increase the attendance. Once more and more people figure out the digital tickets it'll be a moot point and more will show up. Esk fans have always pooped on any sort of change and digital tix is a biggie. I'm use to it myself had to do it for MLB, NFL and concerts... it was annoying the first time - now I prefer it

Maybe it works well for indoor concerts. For outdoors, for older people with less good vision its a nightmare. Neither the wife or I can see a cellphone screen outside in daylight. There is no way I could set up for the tickets to ready because we can't see anything on the screen. we've had several phones, tried diffeent display settings, nothing works. We can't take pictures outdoors either in daylight. All we see is glare on the screen. lol that the one thing we were told would be helpful with smartphones is navigating while walking, travelling. We can't even see the map, or see the icons to open google maps in daylight. (even in the shade)

People should have a choice. What about people that don't even have smartphones? They can't attend?

I still find the digital tickets annoying. have to have the ticketmaster app, have to make sure it has all latest updates including that day (if there is one) or the app won't work. We've also had really weird experience where we had no signal at Rogers Place, so that we were offline, and had to try to figure out how to get to the tickets on the app, while offline. Figured it out, and while we were lined up. But a lot of people will wait right till they are next and then be all confused and looking and trying to figure it out. Could imagine a lot of older fans having some trouble with this all round.

ps we've tried antiglare screens. Don't work at all. I've had the same problem with laptops, tablets. Can never do anything on them in daylight.

For mobile devices its silly how poorly suited they are for using outside

Smartphones should have a matte screen finish so that you could actually see them properly, or at all, outdoors. Instead they all seemingly compete to see who can have the shinest glossy surfaces, which just reflect glare like crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Still think it's all going to come down to are people going to continue with their new covid activities they picked up or are they going to go to football games.

Especially these games in August where people have holidays booked and are using all those new toys that they bought.

As well 40k is quite the number for them to hit. They did it once in 17, 19. 15, 16 and 18 they never hit that number.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is there still 2 byes this year? If so it shouldn't be hard for the CFL to reschedule games.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Is there still 2 byes this year? If so it shouldn't be hard for the CFL to reschedule games.

There are, but they now have an out to not pay the players, and to encourage the unvaccinated. Those AV’s on the practice squad and free agents are pretty much screwed. Vaccinated marginal players with a big advantage this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There are, but they now have an out to not pay the players, and to encourage the unvaccinated. Those AV’s on the practice squad and free agents are pretty much screwed. Vaccinated marginal players with a big advantage this year.
For sure on the marginal vaccinated players, but I'm sure the PA is going to cause a stink if the league doesn't do it's best to reschedule games.

It's a 9 team league with two bye weeks. It isn't exactly hard to figure out. I see it more of a scare tactic than anything.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
For sure on the marginal vaccinated players, but I'm sure the PA is going to cause a stink if the league doesn't do it's best to reschedule games.

It's a 9 team league with two bye weeks. It isn't exactly hard to figure out. I see it more of a scare tactic than anything.

Pretty much following what the NFL is doing. For sure it's a scare tactic, but that's where we are in society as a whole, as nothing else has worked. But once we get to the half way point in the season, the ability to reschedule games becomes a concern, so at some point this may come into play. Hopefully not.

Reactions: joestevens29

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
For season ticket holders, I go to my account and see FREE Gift for August 14th and then see a General admission ticket. So it's basically a free ticket to the game? I also see this EE3 program. Is this a commitment for 3 years of season tickets to get those benefits? Thanks.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Maybe it works well for indoor concerts. For outdoors, for older people with less good vision its a nightmare. Neither the wife or I can see a cellphone screen outside in daylight. There is no way I could set up for the tickets to ready because we can't see anything on the screen. we've had several phones, tried diffeent display settings, nothing works. We can't take pictures outdoors either in daylight. All we see is glare on the screen. lol that the one thing we were told would be helpful with smartphones is navigating while walking, travelling. We can't even see the map, or see the icons to open google maps in daylight. (even in the shade)

People should have a choice. What about people that don't even have smartphones? They can't attend?

I still find the digital tickets annoying. have to have the ticketmaster app, have to make sure it has all latest updates including that day (if there is one) or the app won't work. We've also had really weird experience where we had no signal at Rogers Place, so that we were offline, and had to try to figure out how to get to the tickets on the app, while offline. Figured it out, and while we were lined up. But a lot of people will wait right till they are next and then be all confused and looking and trying to figure it out. Could imagine a lot of older fans having some trouble with this all round.

ps we've tried antiglare screens. Don't work at all. I've had the same problem with laptops, tablets. Can never do anything on them in daylight.

For mobile devices its silly how poorly suited they are for using outside

Smartphones should have a matte screen finish so that you could actually see them properly, or at all, outdoors. Instead they all seemingly compete to see who can have the shinest glossy surfaces, which just reflect glare like crazy.

Moving to smartphone tickets for this organization is dumb because older people (That I'd assume make up a majority of the STH base) don't have a hot clue how to make it work, as you described. Like most things this team does, they don't actually consider who their core clientele is before they shoot from the hip and make changes that their clientele won't like or know how to do.

Older relatives of mine and their friends are at a loss how to do it, and it's more than one or two of them.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Moving to smartphone tickets for this organization is dumb because older people (That I'd assume make up a majority of the STH base) don't have a hot clue how to make it work, as you described. Like most things this team does, they don't actually consider who their core clientele is before they shoot from the hip and make changes that their clientele won't like or know how to do.

Older relatives of mine and their friends are at a loss how to do it, and it's more than one or two of them.

I do not own a working cell phone. I have an old one but no plan. I have no smart phone.

There is zero excuse for not having an easy plan B for this type of thing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The instructions at Esks site are a typical gong show. Open up your ticket app, open up your "wallet" lmao, to everybody my age this would mean the leather wallet in your back pocket, get this app, open up 3 pages, go back 2. lmao. Not exactly but the instructions are hilarious. usually I end up just searching a youtube video or something as the instructions usually involve 3-4 other things you also don't know what they are, or how to do..

Yeah, Esks fans are a whole diff crowd than say Oilers fans. Some Esks are also working stiffs just feeding families and taking the family out to games as a treat once in awhile. They aren't the type that roll in with their Audi and loaded GPS and gizmos, and now how to work every last thing. Even a lot of people my age who finally relented and got Smartphones really wonder what they are paying for and don't think its worth it. Unless somebody is on social media all day long or such things or in need of being in constant (enmeshed) communication with others its hard to see the point.

I can turn my phone up to highest brightness and not a chance I could see the screen in daylight. Games start in Afternoon or early evening, in daylight. Half the people won't even be able to see the screens. This was a huge problem at Metallica as well. On West end of stadium neither patrons or the people checking the tickets could even see the screens. I'm an outdoors person. would be nice if I could take pictures outside or use it in some way. As it is most of what I use smartphone for is bluetooth applications or chromecasting or that kind of thing. Really to me most of the time its a paperweight.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mean serious. these are the instructions...

Mobile Ticketing - Edmonton Elks (goelks.com)

lol "if you forgot your password" lol. People my age often forget their passwords.

For real, this is the pdf tutorial offered by the Elks.

Your-guide-to-Digital-Season-Seats-Screenshot-update-July-14.pdf (d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net)

The smartphones in the captures are downsized to half the size. I can't see or read anything in those, and if I size it up 5 times the images are blurry. They didn't even use real scale copy, they miniaturized it. like seriously, how is that helpful?

Short and sweet if people don't know how to do this, these instructions won't help. seems more complicated than ticketmaster.

Theres bound to be a lot of STH that end up going to the first game that will require somebody to actually do all this for them.

The transfer tickets thing is hilarious.

Transfer Your Mobile Tickets - Edmonton Elks (goelks.com)

What used to take a minute just taking bucks out of your pocket and paying somebody for a ticket, now involves both people going through sign in login hell.

Truly honestly I would never figure out how to transfer tickets to somebody. for people that were born with these devices its second nature. Not for people that just got one when they were already age 50

In anycase this is just yet another reason not to bother going. If I need digital tickets, download 2 apps. setup a mobile wallet, spend hours trying to figure out how to do the whole procedure I'm just not going to bother.

I have used Ticketmaster app several times. But this here is a different deal, and seems poorly configured or explained.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is this any different than what they already do at Oiler games, concerts, etc?

Its worse.

Ticketmaster App is pretty easy. Even a luddite like me figured it out.

Ticketmast app also usually works offline. the Esks app doesn't even offer offline option from what I can see.

This here Elks design involves 5 steps whether you use the app or the Elks site account manager.

Its also non intuitive. Somebody has to know what the drop down bars, and the user icon mean, be familiar with it, click on it, and remember that. Theres no way a person should have to be clicking through tiny icons in the sunlight. Which is the crux of the problem. Cellphones are easily visible when indoors anywhere so they work for concerts or Oilers games because you can see the screen.

lol they even know this is all a huge problem outdoors.

We recommend adding all of your game tickets to your Apple wallet or Google Pay in advance of your arrival at the stadium to make entry as fast as possible. Turn up the brightness in your phone

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Its worse.

Ticketmaster App is pretty easy. Even a luddite like me figured it out.

This here Elks design involves 5 steps whether you use the app or the Elks site account manager.

Its also non intuitive. Somebody has to know what the drop down bars, and the user icon mean, be familiar with it, click on it, and remember that. Theres no way a person should have to be clicking through tiny icons in the sunlight. Which is the crux of the problem. Cellphones are easily visible when indoors anywhere so they work for concerts or Oilers games because you can see the screen.

lol they even know this is all a huge problem outdoors.

We recommend adding all of your game tickets to your Apple wallet or Google Pay in advance of your arrival at the stadium to make entry as fast as possible. Turn up the brightness in your phone

I just put all my tickets for games, concerts in my Apple wallet. Pretty easy and convenient, but I get that there are those that prefer printed tickets, and you can still do that if you buy individual tickets for the Elks via Ticketmaster, and the Elks website mentions that STH's that don't want to use mobile entry should contact them for other options, so looks like it shouldn't be an issue for those who want to go old school.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just put all my tickets for games, concerts in my Apple wallet. Pretty easy and convenient, but I get that there are those that prefer printed tickets, and you can still do that if you buy individual tickets for the Elks via Ticketmaster, and the Elks website mentions that STH's that don't want to use mobile entry should contact them for other options, so looks like it shouldn't be an issue for those who want to go old school.

Well, if you already happen to have an Apple wallet. I wouldn't ever have something like that on a smartphone, don't trust using anything like that, probably wouldn't be able to set it up. I don't have an apple in anycase

For those that don't have all this stuff setup, the vast majority, they don't have it, and don't want it.

lol, just went to the ticketmaster app just to recheck how "easy" it is...lol. Of course another update and EACH time theres an update you have to type in your username and password which of course most people my age don't remember. So then setting up a whole new account which then conficlts with the old account and old email...f***.

There is no reason that the updates erase the login memory on a smartphone and require all new entry. I have it set to remember on my device, but it doesn't each time theres an update..

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Well, if you already happen to have an Apple wallet. I wouldn't ever have something like that on a smartphone, don't trust using anything like that, probably wouldn't be able to set it up. I don't have an apple in anycase

For those that don't have all this stuff setup, the vast majority, they don't have it, and don't want it.

lol, just went to the ticketmaster app just to recheck how "easy" it is...lol. Of course another update and EACH time theres an update you have to type in your username and password which of course most people my age don't remember. So then setting up a whole new account which then conficlts with the old account and old email...f***.

There is no reason that the updates erase the login memory on a smartphone and require all new entry. I have it set to remember on my device, but it doesn't each time theres an update..

I think you'd be surprised. I would say the vast majority of people have smart phones and are able to access the tickets. Like 90%+. ;) Anyhow, people can still print tickets if they want to, or even buy at the gate or at the team office if they want to.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think you'd be surprised. I would say the vast majority of people have smart phones and are able to access the tickets. Like 90%+. ;) Anyhow, people can still print tickets if they want to, or even buy at the gate or at the team office if they want to.

Disagree. The number one question out there, anywhere, from consumers of e tickets is "how can I print the e tickets" Which indicates how much people completely miss the whole point of their smartphone being the tickets. These questions are endless. Its the bane of ticketing support staff that all these people enquire how to print the tickets out..

I mean if anything defeats the point and indicates that the explanation of these things isn't working. I wonder how many people just stopped going to events when e tickets, apps, etc became the default.

Again why should the consumer have all the bother and headache of dowloading apps, wallets and figuring this all out instead of just a simpler process? Imagine how impossible this all is for people that don't speak English, don't have smartphones, are not tech illiterate, and cannot properly see the tiny screens (me).

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Most every sport team /concert / event is going this direction for tickets. Even your boarding pass for flights is on your phone now. Seriously, it's not that hard. Log in to your EE account and it's literally 5 clicks to get your tickets. There's even a how to on the Elks website that is quite easy if you follow along.

The majority of people today don't want to have to carry a paper ticket, or find a printer to print off a piece of paper and bring it with them, or even have to remember to grab their tickets from home in the morning and carry them with them all day if they are out before a game and risk losing them. What a hassle. Talk about old school and archaic. Electronic ticket on your phone is so much easier and convenient.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Most every sport team /concert / event is going this direction for tickets. Even your boarding pass for flights is on your phone now. Seriously, it's not that hard. Log in to your EE account and it's literally 5 clicks to get your tickets. There's even a how to on the Elks website that is quite easy if you follow along.

The majority of people today don't want to have to carry a paper ticket, or find a printer to print off a piece of paper and bring it with them, or even have to remember to grab their tickets from home in the morning and carry them with them all day if they are out before a game and risk losing them. What a hassle. Talk about old school and archaic. Electronic ticket on your phone is so much easier and convenient.

lmao

login, not that hard. pick a username and password. (followed by 10 prompts you've done it wrong, have to select a diff username, or password, and then a series of gongshow error messages for the next hour. then by the next time you login you don't rmember either the username or password because there's 25 others you have to remember batting around in your head. Is there a secure wallet for all these passwords and usernames that can't be hacked? Wheres that app?

Its actually harder to remember to have your smartphone, and ensure its charged enough, has enough power to use brightest screen setting. and requires more attention, and the damn smartphone doesn't fit easy in a pocket, is uncomfortable, carrying the stupid paperweight around all day, vs just buying a ticket and sticking it in your wallet is the easiest thing.

Can't count the number of times I put the smartphone in the vehicle dash holder and then forget about it. I have to phone my smartphone weekly just to see where it is, hopefully it still has power..

How is it a hassle to just have your ticket in your wallet. The smartphone is cumbersome, paper tickets are not.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Disagree. The number one question out there, anywhere, from consumers of e tickets is "how can I print the e tickets" Which indicates how much people completely miss the whole point of their smartphone being the tickets. These questions are endless. Its the bane of ticketing support staff that all these people enquire how to print the tickets out..

I mean if anything defeats the point and indicates that the explanation of these things isn't working. I wonder how many people just stopped going to events when e tickets, apps, etc became the default.

Again why should the consumer have all the bother and headache of dowloading apps, wallets and figuring this all out instead of just a simpler process? Imagine how impossible this all is for people that don't speak English, don't have smartphones, are not tech illiterate, and cannot properly see the tiny screens (me).

Pretty much any event that I went to pre Covid, from Oiler games to concerts, based on the people in the lineup with me, was about maybe one out of ten with a paper ticket, and that is probably being generous. If the vast majority didn't want this option the world wouldn't be going this route. I think the last study I saw estimated that over 90% of Albertan's own a smartphone. Just the way it is. People that are tech illiterate or don't speak English can go to the team office to buy tickets or buy them at the game. There are options.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
lmao

login, not that hard. pick a username and password. (followed by 10 prompts you've done it wrong, have to select a diff username, or password, and then a series of gongshow error messages for the next hour. then by the next time you login you don't rmember either the username or password because there's 25 others you have to remember batting around in your head. Is there a secure wallet for all these passwords and usernames that can't be hacked? Wheres that app?

Its actually harder to remember to have your smartphone, and ensure its charged enough, has enough power to use brightest screen setting. and requires more attention, and the damn smartphone doesn't fit easy in a pocket, is uncomfortable, carrying the stupid paperweight around all day, vs just buying a ticket and sticking it in your wallet is the easiest thing.

Can't count the number of times I put the smartphone in the vehicle dash holder and then forget about it. I have to phone my smartphone weekly just to see where it is, hopefully it still has power..

How is it a hassle to just have your ticket in your wallet. The smartphone is cumbersome, paper tickets are not.

Sorry bud, but you're a dinosaur. And I'm a 60+. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pretty much any event that I went to pre Covid, from Oiler games to concerts, based on the people in the lineup with me, was about maybe one out of ten with a paper ticket, and that is probably being generous. If the vast majority didn't want this option the world wouldn't be going this route. I think the last study I saw estimated that over 90% of Albertan's own a smartphone. Just the way it is. People that are tech illiterate or don't speak English can go to the team office to buy tickets or buy them at the game. There are options.

60% of SENIORS even own a smarphone. 85% of them have either a smartphone or cellphone but a significant amount still don't have a smartphone. 11 yrs ago only 30% of adults had a smartphone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad