Proposal: Edmonton and Carolina make good trade partners

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Last I checked they needed wingers. Trading their 3rd best forward would just doom them to a 2 player offense with 3 bottom 6 lines.

Think non roster assets for wingers and ways to dump Lucic.

That's what Ferland would be. The Oilers would end up being a lot like Colorado with Draisaitl - McDavid - Ferland.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Where there’s smoke there’s fire... so, no to Hamilton.

... and then people mention Nurse+ for Hamilton? You realize that Nurse is outscoring Hamilton, playing half the PP minutes. Nurse plays in all situations , including SH. He is a better defender, way more physical and by all accounts a great teammate.

Nurse is finally getting some offense-opportunity playing time lately and he is producing... 13 points in his last 15 games.

RNH is playing at a 74 point pace and at this point, all things considered, he has more value than Dougie.

Are the Oilers the only team that can’t use players current playing results for current value... or does Dougie get a grace period too. Kris Russell is almost on the same pace as Hamilton.

Honestly, the Canes and Oilers are not great trade partners.

Oh and the OP is not an Oilers poster... just thought I would point that out.

Reactions: thadd and TFHockey

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think that 20% of the people on this board need a reality check.
There isn't a big trade out there for Edmonton to make right now.
Hopkins isn't on the trade table.
In the off-season there's a small chance that we see one of our top 4 d-men packaged with other assets for a better d-man and Hamilton isn't anywhere near being on Edmonton's radar.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nugent-Hopkins is having a way better season than Hamilton. Hamilton is being exposed without a top 10 D man covering for him as a partner.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Why would Hamilton be available already from the Canes (if this is the case)? This should be a troubling proposition to anyone who might trade for him. Are we going to want to be kicking him out the door within a couple years, too? That doesn't sound too tempting. Nuge has never been a problem, does what he does on the ice (mostly good things), no troubles in the locker room or anywhere else. Maybe someone can give me an inside scoop, but this is a bad look for Dougie, and absolutely hurts his value.

At this point I wouldn't do RNH for Hamilton until I know why hes on his 3rd team already in his young career (basically booted from 2 teams, depending on who/what you believe), and a 4th attempt is being pushed by some fans of the team to get another team to take him. Makes me a bit leery to say the least.

What's his deal, exactly? An insatiable museum fetish? Something else?

Last edited:
Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Why is Hamilton on the block yet again? This should be a troubling situation to anyone who might trade for him. Are we going to want to be kicking him out the door within a year, too? That doesn't sound too tempting. Nuge has never been a problem, does what he does on the ice, no troubles in the locker room or anywhere else. Maybe someone can give me an inside scoop, but this is a bad look for Dougie, and absolutely hurts his value.

At this point I wouldn't do RNH for Hamilton until I know why hes on his 3rd team already in his young career, and a 4th attempt is being pushed by some fans of the team to get another team to take him. Makes me a bit leery to say the least.

What's his deal, exactly? An insatiable museum fetish? Something else?

A little bit of reading comprehension could have saved you writing that long post.

He is not on the block. He is not being shopped. Teams are calling about him as the tweet quite clearly states.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
A little bit of reading comprehension could have saved you writing that long post.

He is not on the block. He is not being shopped. Teams are calling about him as the tweet quite clearly states.

Fair enough, I suppose, though the OP didn't specify whether he was on the block or what the case was and I didn't see a tweet. I don't have time to go through every post, unfortunately. Anyway, it seems Canes fans are open to trading him, which is another aspect of this which may or may not say a lot. Is he not fitting in well with the team?

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Fair enough, I suppose. Though it seems Canes fans are open to trading him. Is he not fitting in well with the team? (Wasn't going to let you gloss over that part, sorry.)

He’s fitting in just fine and is playing very well as of late. It’s been a bit of adjustment but he’s getting better. Don’t think you’ll find too many canes fans who would want to trade him for anything short of a massive overpayment. Everyone is available for the right offer, though.

People like to hate on Hamilton for some reason and all the talk of his personality and being a locker room cancer I think is getting way out of hand. Nothing has been reported to suggest Carolina is shopping him yet this thread is full of posters attacking his character with no supporting evidence. I just find it really strange. Not singling you out specifically.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Carolina needs legit top 6 forwards and we don’t have any we can trade.
Yup sounds like good trading partners

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Fair enough, I suppose, though the OP didn't specify whether he was on the block or what the case was. I don't have time to go through every post, unfortunately. Anyway, it seems Canes fans are open to trading him, which is another aspect of this which may or may not say a lot. Is he not fitting in well with the team?

He's been a disappointment overall, but that's not what is driving this. Pesce/Faulk/Hamilton is not sustainable past this season for a variety of reasons (contract term, finances, Adam Fox.) Carolina has a need up front. Faulk has been good enough to allow the team to justify moving forward with any 2 of the 3. Hamilton is the most valuable of the 3; if he brings back what the other 2 can't, then he's tradeable.

Unfortunately, the timing is bad. The team most in need of a RHD (Toronto) is stingy with their forwards. Other suitors don't have the forward depth to make a trade (Vancouver/Edmonton.) What else is out there? Florida needs an upgrade, but matching value is difficult. Vegas would have to be willing to trade Glass (unlikely.)

Faulk, the least valuable of three because of contract term, is still the most likely to be moved, imo.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He's been a disappointment overall, but that's not what is driving this. Pesce/Faulk/Hamilton is not sustainable past this season for a variety of reasons (contract term, finances, Adam Fox.) Carolina has a need up front. Faulk has been good enough to allow the team to justify moving forward with any 2 of the 3. Hamilton is the most valuable of the 3; if he brings back what the other 2 can't, then he's tradeable.

Unfortunately, the timing is bad. The team most in need of a RHD (Toronto) is stingy with their forwards. Other suitors don't have the forward depth to make a trade (Vancouver/Edmonton.) What else is out there? Florida needs an upgrade, but matching value is difficult. Vegas would have to be willing to trade Glass (unlikely.)

Faulk, the least valuable of three because of contract term, is still the most likely to be moved, imo.

Yeah, that makes some sense. Thanks.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary

I see Hamilton, this year, as an adjustment season. I don't believe he'll be this under performing every year. Toronto will always be terrible trade partners because they overvalue the waterboy let alone an actual player. The Canes are RHD full and need scoring. The point was to get them scoring. The Oilers need EVERYTHING (even if the fans don't acknowledge this) but a top line centre. Because the Oilers are a terribly built team they should focus from defense out and build a top line that will score almost at will. Stop the chances against and drive the play with the top line. It's not perfect but they can develop players in the minors for a few years and stay in the hunt. If they continue to be bottom dwelling feeders I think they'll lose McDavid as he'd want out of the trailer park.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think Edmonton and Carolina are good direct trading partners.

However, if another team was brought in to broker the deal (not Calgary), I think a good deal could be made where both Carolina and Edmonton walks away happy.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Dougie Hamilton and Micheal Ferland for Nugent-Hopkins and Petrovic

Both teams are struggling to produce (when aren't the Oilers, amirite) and it addresses needs and it's rumored that all are being dangled. Dougie is under-performing in Carolina and isn't as valuable as he was when he was a Flame and Ferland isn't signing in Carolina. Nuge is the only one valuable enough to trade and get something from the Oilers unless your name is McDavid (lol). The only question is cap space for the Oilers. Ferland and Petrovic are a salary wash so the Oilers can make any trade.

Oilers - capfriendly.com - Edmonton Oilers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $81,485,413

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $2,036,784

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $51,371 - lol

(C) Nugent-Hopkins - 6 million
(RHD) Alex Petrovic - 1.95 Million

Hurricanes - capfriendly.com - Carolina Hurricanes - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $62,778,314

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $0

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $16,721,686

(RHD) Hamilton - 5.75 million
(LW/RW) Ferland - 1.75 million

not the most stupid proposal ive ever seen. I believe that Chiarelli is partial to Hamilton from boston days...

and could ferland be a fit for McDavid... possibly yes

ryan nugent Hopkins is by far the best player in the deal.. probably as good as all 3 other guys combind… but is he the best fit to stay in Edmonton? something about playing in Edmonton has really curtailed his potential. he probably needs a change of scenery like hall

im going to thumbs up your proposal. I think if I was either team id probably go for it

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
not the most stupid proposal ive ever seen. I believe that Chiarelli is partial to Hamilton from boston days...

ryan nugent Hopkins is by far the best player in the deal.. probably as good as all 3 other guys combind… but is he the best fit to stay in Edmonton? something about playing in Edmonton has really curtailed his potential. he probably needs a change of scenery like hall

im going to thumbs up your proposal. I think if I was either team id probably go for it

You believe RNH is as good than all 3 players combined?

Do you realize that Defenseman Dougie Hamilton has outscored RNH in 2 of the past 3 full seasons? As a defenseman? Kind of hard to reconcile that logic.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Not the most stupid post I’ve ever seen.....but it’s up there.

Reactions: SvechNecas

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Ferland is a pending UFA. Edmonton can't sign him. Are the Oilers really in a place where they can go after rentals?

RNH played 1C at 18 years old. That probably rushed his development.

RNH is on pace for 70+ points this year. He doesn't need a change of scenery.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
these two teams are only good trading partners if oilers would trade RNH, which they don't appear to be interested in. Move on, unless they may be open to trading Pool Party for a defensive prospect like McKeown/Fleury.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad