Proposal: Edmonton and Carolina make good trade partners

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Dougie Hamilton and Micheal Ferland for Nugent-Hopkins and Petrovic

Both teams are struggling to produce (when aren't the Oilers, amirite) and it addresses needs and it's rumored that all are being dangled. Dougie is under-performing in Carolina and isn't as valuable as he was when he was a Flame and Ferland isn't signing in Carolina. Nuge is the only one valuable enough to trade and get something from the Oilers unless your name is McDavid (lol). The only question is cap space for the Oilers. Ferland and Petrovic are a salary wash so the Oilers can make any trade.

Oilers - capfriendly.com - Edmonton Oilers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $81,485,413

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $2,036,784

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $51,371 - lol

(C) Nugent-Hopkins - 6 million
(RHD) Alex Petrovic - 1.95 Million

Hurricanes - capfriendly.com - Carolina Hurricanes - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $62,778,314

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $0

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $16,721,686

(RHD) Hamilton - 5.75 million
(LW/RW) Ferland - 1.75 million

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Nah. Both Stauffer and Chia said that Sekera has lost all the explosiveness in his ankle, which is vital for defensemen. I think he will stay on LTIR, which actually gives us almost 6 million in cap space next year once everyone is signed.

The value isn't that bad, but Nuge is valued very high by Oilers fans. A defensive center on pace for 75 points.

So no. We are not shredding our only bit of secondary scoring.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Ferland would be what the Oilers thought Lucic should have been. He would do EXTREMELY WELL on McDavid's line and then you put the rest of the top scorers on the second.

FWIW I'm not a fan of either team (Flames). It's just a thought I had before bed.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I view Hamilton and Nugent-Hopkins as a wash as people are overvaluing Hamilton. I watched him for years with Calgary and he performed very well with the Flames because of his D partner Gio. I agree that Ferland is worth WAY more than Petrovic, but again, Ferland isn't going to sign (opinion/rumor) with Carolina as it's reported that Ferland is asking too for much. I can only see a draft pick (2nd) more going to Carolina.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I view Hamilton and Nugent-Hopkins as a wash as people are overvaluing Hamilton. I watched him for years with Calgary and he performed very well with the Flames because of his D partner Gio. I agree that Ferland is worth WAY more than Petrovic, but again, Ferland isn't going to sign (opinion/rumor) with Carolina as it's reported that Ferland is asking too for much. I can only see a draft pick (2nd) more going to Carolina.
Oilers won't be able to afford Ferland's asking price.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I viewed Nuge and Dougie pretty even before the season, Nuge has had a terrific year and Dougie has been terrible. Why has he been so bad?

Reactions: dreamcomehere

major major

Feb 18, 2013
RNH is the best player in the deal, so I don't see this as robbery for Edmonton. Maybe add a pick.

But that's a value discussion. I'm not sure the Oilers should do it. It's much better for both McDavid and Draisaitl when they play together, so the Oilers really can't spare RNH.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
OP says all players are rumoured to be on the market? Do tell where you’ve heard Nuge is on the market? He’s been amazing this year, our best defensive forward by a large margin, and should get some Selke votes this year (not going to win, but should be in the 6-10 range).

I completely understand that Carolina will command a good return for those two, but if that cost is Nuge, Oil pass without a second thought.

We frankly don’t have the depth to do that type of deal. We’d be looking at a futures based deal to be honest.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
And I would value the second round pick over Petrovic? Still wouldn’t make me remotely interested in this trade. There’s no way in hell I would’ve traded Lindy and Hanifin for Nuge and a second round pick. Don’t care about Fox really as he’s too big a question mark.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Oilers (healthy) now need another RNH more than another Hamilton.
Easy pass for Oilers.
The biggest issue on D for Oilers is to get rid of overpaid garbage when everyone is healthy.

Sekera, Manning and Benning wont crack the roster and are taking up almost 10M of capspace next year.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Both teams probably don't like this. Carolina likely wants to try and resign Ferland, and even if they traded him as a rental they could get better value than this.

BUT Edmonton isn't helped either, since I doubt they are re-signing Ferland (due to cap) and I think to the Oilers, RNH is definitely more valuable than Hamilton alone (since Ferland is likely gone).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Well ignoring the stupid comments from the Flames fan... Ferland really isn't anything of value to Edmonton since he is a pending UFA and is unlikely to sign here.

I am quite fond of the idea of landing Hamilton but if Edmonton loses RNH I am not sure who scores for Edmonton aside from McDavid and Draisaitl. Both are on pace for 100+ point seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad