Proposal: Edmonton and Carolina make good trade partners

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The solution to the Oilers middle six scoring problem isn't trading Nuge. We could use Hamilton (or Faulk if he is more affordable), but our organizational strengths (and trade bait) don't align with Carolina's needs (scoring forwards).

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I don't think Edmonton and Carolina are good trading partners at all. The last thing the Oilers should be doing is trade good forwards. Their depth is terrible and they should be trying to trade for good, established wingers. They won't be able to afford re-signing Ferland unless they can somehow trade Lucic.

Reactions: Moosetache

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Huh?

Have you looked at their contracts. As soon as those contracts were signed the trade became a steal.
Not sure what you mean.
Lindholm and Hanifin deals are a steal for CGY. The deal with Calgary was brutal for Canes.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
RNH is the best player in the deal, so I don't see this as robbery for Edmonton. Maybe add a pick.

But that's a value discussion. I'm not sure the Oilers should do it. It's much better for both McDavid and Draisaitl when they play together, so the Oilers really can't spare RNH.

Sure looks like their team is doing well when they play together

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
That's not even close to enough for Car my goodness. That's a pretty one sided deal. Nuge isn't young enough to fit CGY's needs and Petro is a replacement level #6 with no value. Both of Cars pieces would be worth significantly more.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Carolina needs scoring forwards. Edmonton have three scoring forwards worth anything and none of them are moving. How do they make good trading partners? Especially when RNH is getting a kings ransom overvaluation by Oilers fans simply because they are desperate for scoring and RNH is the only other player besides Drai who looks good with McDavid and can play on special teams.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
I view Hamilton and Nugent-Hopkins as a wash as people are overvaluing Hamilton. I watched him for years with Calgary and he performed very well with the Flames because of his D partner Gio. I agree that Ferland is worth WAY more than Petrovic, but again, Ferland isn't going to sign (opinion/rumor) with Carolina as it's reported that Ferland is asking too for much. I can only see a draft pick (2nd) more going to Carolina.

thats were your wrong hamilton is way more valued than RNH sorry. Maybe Hamilton for RNH + Petrovic + pool party or yamamoto sorry bout spelling.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Hands off Hamilton! He’s Toronto’s for Horton, Justin Holl and some day old timbits

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Ferland would be a perfect fit with Nuge and McDavid. Great skater, physical, pound for pound one of the toughest in the league and he’s got a great shot. He won’t produce much further down the lineup but with players much better than himself, he can put them home. Concussions are an issue and I think he wants a payday. Playing with those guys could be Ferland’s best chance at cashing in long term. I’d stay away from Dougie, you already have Bouchard coming up, no reason to move Nuge, in a last ditch effort to squeak into the playoffs. Ferland for your 2nd should be fair if you can juggle the cap space to fit him in next year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Zero interest in moving Nugent Hopkins. I don’t get how these teams are good trading partners, we both want to acquire scoring forwards.

Starting to seriously look like Hamilton is not well liked pretty much anywhere.

Some interest in Ferland but not for anything more than pick/prospect.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Starting to seriously look like Hamilton is not well liked pretty much anywhere.

Please show us where that's been reported because I'm pretty sure he's well liked here.

People just wanna dump on Dougie to lower his value even though we're the ones getting called about him. He must be a terrible person and player, and yet all these GM's have been calling to see if he's available.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Please show us where that's been reported because I'm pretty sure he's well liked here.

People just wanna dump on Dougie to lower his value even though we're the ones getting called about him. He must be a terrible person and player, and yet all these GM's have been calling to see if he's available.

He IS available. Craig Custance just reported that the organization is open to trading him, six months after they got him. He’s a 25 year old top four defenceman on a team friendly deal, he’s been dealt twice and his third organization would move him too. Red flags there whether you like it or not.

He’s been disappointing for you guys - pacing for 28 points and -28 is I’m sure not what you thought you were getting - but there have been rumours back to the Boston days that he wasn’t well liked in the dressing room.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
He IS available. Craig Custance just reported that the organization is open to trading him, six months after they got him. He’s a 25 year old top four defenceman on a team friendly deal, he’s been dealt twice and his third organization would move him too. Red flags there whether you like it or not.

He’s been disappointing for you guys - pacing for 28 points and -28 is I’m sure not what you thought you were getting - but there have been rumours back to the Boston days that he wasn’t well liked in the dressing room.

Open to trading him just like Dubas was listening to offers for Nylander, if an offer with value came our way we might consider moving him, we aren't actively calling teams trying to move him. Did you even read the article or are you just going off word of mouth?

Here's a good quote in case you didn't: "Multiple sources confirmed that the Hurricanes are open to trading Hamilton, not necessarily because they’ve soured on him but because they’re trying to get the best possible offer for a defenseman not named Jaccob Slavin."

That sounds like a GM doing his job looking for the best possible fit to get a player at a position of need, not a GM looking to move a locker room cancer.

You know what else has been disappointing? Our offense. He can't rack up assists with players that struggle to find the net. That's the biggest reason his +/- and point totals are lower than average, yet he's on pace to finish with his average of ~12 goals.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Would Nurse and Benning for Hamilton be close
Would balance oilers d core a bit more:

Russel Hamilton
Jones Lars
Gravel Petrovic
Manning

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Would Nurse and Benning for Hamilton be close
Would balance oilers d core a bit more:

Russel Hamilton
Jones Lars
Gravel Petrovic
Manning

No. Carolina has Slavin, de Haan and van Riemsdyk (RHD) down the left. Fleury has been forced to the AHL unnecessarily because of it; he's an NHL player. Bean is having a nice rookie season in Charlotte.

Carolina needs a Top 6 forward.

Last edited:

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I'm not disputing that the return is dreadful for Carolina. However, the position BOTH teams are in is extraordinarily weak (the Oilers more so). For example, there is a reason Larson came in for Hall. It wasn't Hall's true value, but it was the Oilers trading position that got such little return. The Oilers have basically nothing of value after Nugent-Hopkins, and I would dangle prospects if possible but who would really want them. The league knows that the Oilers are dreadful prospect developers and the Oilers need to develop players to create trading partners. It's a poo-pickle indeed.

The situation for Carolina is a forward who won't sign and a RHD who's losing value the longer he stays in Carolina (only 14pts so far this year). Carolina was robbed by the Flames and you can't look at that trade and compare as the situation has changed. I was delighted to see Dougie moved for Hanifin and I saw Lindholm as just a good 2nd/3rd floating forward... So happy to be wrong! Ferland is only a scorer when he's paired with a good setup guy and it's why he won't get the 5 million he's asking for and due to the Carolina cap space he WILL demand 5 million or go to FA status which gives Carolina zero negotiation positioning. RNH would give Carolina a strong 2nd line as he can hold his own.

Dougie has so many attitude questions and having McDavid to keep him emotionally settled would help. Give Dougie a stay at home defensive partner and he'll do well. Having that strong puck moving D will make McDavid even more of a threat and make up for the loss of a scoring winger in Nugent-Hopkins. It's not perfect, but nothing will be for either teams because of their position. I'm not trolling and I'm not being disingenuous.

It's a shot in the dark, but perhaps Ferland would sign if he gets to play with McDavid. There isn't a lot of cap room for the Oilers so it is a risk.

The stats just suck for both teams and I'm looking at this with no "fan inflation" of the players which is what I'm reading in responses.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d do a package around Faulk and Puljujarvi

I have zero interest in moving RNH, or paying the price to get Hamilton.

Reactions: TFHockey

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Last I checked they needed wingers. Trading their 3rd best forward would just doom them to a 2 player offense with 3 bottom 6 lines.

Think non roster assets for wingers and ways to dump Lucic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad