Confirmed with Link: [EDM/VAN] Dust Off Those #89 Jerseys. Sam Gagner in exchange for Ryan Spooner

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah, I called this one.

Gagner has talent, and Columbus, and Keenan, were the only ones to utilize him properly. More importantly Gagner is a vet, and in his prime years he was willing to go into areas and get some dirty chances and work a PP puck down low. In Vancouver, and Philly he wasn't given much chance and knew he was on teams that didn't have much use for him.

The absolute carnage of talent on this Chia managed team opens a door for Sam given that he's a player that can play in topsix, and should here, and on PP. Sam can even run a PP and always has been able to.

heh, all this talk about Gagner and not one mention of me..

I’ve never seen you post about SS. Surprised Replacement hasn’t chimed in though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I dont mind this at all. Gagner simply fell short of unrealistic expectations here in the past. Best case scenario he gets back to his 40 point form as a secondary, easy minutes player. Worst case hes a wash with what Spooner was bringing, which was nothing.

An added bonus of having Gagner and Rattie on the ice is it's like running a Zamboni over the ice every other shift leaving a clean sheet for the top line!

jebus you guys are ruthless..

OK, I laughed. Put Gagner, Rattie and Russell together in OT (no please don't) and they would resurface the whole ice.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Pulled my #89 jersey out of the closet!

Crap, forgot it was a Comrie.

*chucks jersey* back in you go

On a side note you'll never convince me that Smyth didn't flub that puck and it just happened to land on Comrie's stick in the slot lol.

Carter would score 40 goals in today's NHL.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I think this trade probably made sense. I don't know if it's going to change much, but there wasn't too much to lose anyway. At least some Canucks fans thought Gagner had been okay and if he could somehow keep his production rate he could help the Oilers. Well it may be too much to expect considering the way most forwards are producing this season, but you never know.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
- Chiarelli extends Strome, trades him four months later
- Chiarelli extends Caggiula, trades him five months later
- Chiarelli signs Jerabek, trades him a month later
- Chiarelli acquires Wideman, trades him a month later
- Chiarelli acquires Spooner, Gretzky trades him three months later
- Chiarelli claims Zykov, waives him a month later

whew

Titanic and something about seats

Reactions: nabob

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
No, they couldn't have. But they could have just waived Manning/Petrovic and called up Spooner/Gagner with no change whatsoever to the cap. The Talbot trade was 100% to fit in Sekera, who has to be activated and put on the NHL roster after his conditioning stint ends tonight/tomorrow. This deal basically has zero cap implications, although I guess we'd be adding around 100k if Pulju is sent down and not someone making 1+mil.

Gagner makes a million more than Manning/Petrovic. Not a wash.

I don't understand why some posters are so sure of themselves that they state without any real knowledge that Talbot was all about Sekera. Did I miss an Oiler press release? Sure seems to me that they cleared more than they had to to activate Sekera.

I guess then they traded Talbot so they wouldn't have to send Manning to the minors? Worried someone might pick him up?

The Oilers didn't need all of Talbot's cap space to bring up Sekera. They did need it to keep everyone around and add Sammy.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Can someone summarize what these two trades mean in the bigger picture?

Is these moves to bolster for the stretch drive?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Which is utterly irrelevant. You can’t bury full contracts anymore, so regarding capspace, it makes no difference which of the 3 is demoted

The Oilers didn't need all of Talbot's cap space to bring up Sekera. They did need it to keep everyone around and add Sammy.

No. We didn’t. You’re wrong about this.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I have no doubt that this will fall on deaf ears for many, but I’ll ask anyway: can we please let go of the “Snowpants” thing? It genuinely looks bad on us as a fan base, and it’s really an unfair and unnecessarily hostile welcome for a player who is legitimately excited to come to the Oilers and, for the most part, did everything ever asked of him without complaint in his previous go-round. He probably won’t move the needle much, if at all, but no player needs the extra weight of hostile fans who can’t get past the unrealistic expectations they had of him 5+ years ago.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

I don't understand why some posters are so sure of themselves that they state without any real knowledge that Talbot was all about Sekera. Did I miss an Oiler press release? Sure seems to me that they cleared more than they had to to activate Sekera.

I guess then they traded Talbot so they wouldn't have to send Manning to the minors? Worried someone might pick him up?

So did Spooner. It was a wash. No cap implications at all with Gagner for Spooner. I don't know why you are having such a hard time understanding this.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Which is utterly irrelevant. You can’t bury full contracts anymore, so regarding capspace, it makes no difference which of the 3 is demoted

Um, if you bury a 7 million dollar cap hit it is not the same as burying a 2 million dollar cap hit. It hurts the teams cap a lot more to bury a 7 mil guy. You can only write off so much.

You can't call up a 7 mil guy and send down a one mil guy and call it a wash. That was my point.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Um, if you bury a 7 million dollar cap hit it is not the same as burying a 2 million dollar cap hit. It hurts the teams cap a lot more to bury a 7 mil guy. You can only write off so much.

You can't call up a 7 mil guy and send down a one mil guy and call it a wash. That was my point.

No. You’re wrong. It’s the exact same. If you bury a 7 million dollar guy and call up a 2 million dollar guy, the cap doesn’t change in the slightest

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

It would make zero difference to the cap. You get 1M relief from the guy who is in the minors and the remainder is on the cap. Whether its the 7 mil guy or the 2 mil guy in the minors it makes no difference.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
So did Spooner. It was a wash. No cap implications at all with Gagner for Spooner. I don't know why you are having such a hard time understanding this.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

They weren't calling up Spooner. They are calling up Sammy. They didn't need that space for Spooner because he was never going to see the Oilers. They do need it now because they are calling up Sammy.

Saying there is no difference is true contract wise, but it isn't true on whether or not that contract was going to ever see the NHL. Now it is with Sammy. It wasn't with Spooner.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Speaking of messes, imagine trading away Dylan Strome for pennies on the dollar and then watching him realize his 3rd overall potential immediately in Chicago.

To be fair Nick Schmaltz has 14 points in 17 games with Arizona (he's hurt now though), so it's been beneficial for both teams. Still doesn't look great but Strome and Schmaltz might not have broken out without a trade.

We can only hope there's a similarly positive outcome with this Gagner trade. Realistically if he can come in and help the powerplay without being too big of a defensive liability this trade is a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad