Pre-Game Talk: Edm v Ott 3 Game Series Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Why?

The McDrai twist is a change up that most opponents can't handle and Nuge and Pulju are skilled enough to front a 2nd line and this even grows the game more of the latter, instead of being in the shade.

I mean this isn't where it lands, but its fine for 5 games to do this, and if McDrai superheat it gives us a good chance of winning the series.

With McDrai together for a bit we Win Win. The Ottawa games and the scoring race. Nuge will do better EV not playing with McD.

On separate lines teams have schemed specifically to break down McD, or Drai, and have been able to curtail them by double teaming. Playing the two together is an adjustment that we have to make once in awhile to throw a wrinkle at other clubs schemes, and few teams are capable of handling McDrai together. Last night was just the time to get McDrai back, said that before the game.

Tend to agree. The fact that there was an almost immediate momentum swing in our favor indicates that it wasn't a bad move. You can bet the Sens have already studied last night's game film and are contemplating how you defend against the 2 of them so the effect may not last but at least for another game the new combo is worth it.

When you watch the film from the Leaf series you notice that Mc-D was double teamed (at least) the entire game and when he tried to make those (often beautiful) rushes up the middle he was just getting swarmed. If he can dish off to Drai then the defense has to adjust a little bit for fear of him heading along the boards with the puck as he tends to do. Pitching the lateral to RNH is one thing but Drai is another.

Force them to play zone defense and not man to man stuff.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How long before these 2 guys are banned? This morning its Pepe-La-Pew and Speedy Gonzales on the carpet.

945169E6-9389-473A-8CE8-8D9A862DF4F9.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Tend to agree. The fact that there was an almost immediate momentum swing in our favor indicates that it wasn't a bad move. You can bet the Sens have already studied last night's game film and are contemplating how you defend against the 2 of them so the effect may not last but at least for another game the new combo is worth it.

When you watch the film from the Leaf series you notice that Mc-D was double teamed (at least) the entire game and when he tried to make those (often beautiful) rushes up the middle he was just getting swarmed. If he can dish off to Drai then the defense has to adjust a little bit for fear of him heading along the boards with the puck as he tends to do. Pitching the lateral to RNH is one thing but Drai is another.

Force them to play zone defense and not man to man stuff.
Yep. McDrai get reunited, turn a loss into a W, line has 3 goals, reverse outcome, and a poster here says they "hate" putting that line together. I can't figure it really.

Teams can't stop McDrai TOGETHER when they are geared and scheming to stop them apart. This is a wrinkle we should employ more regularly (it occurs sometimes) especially on home ice where opponents can't get their match against the line.

By no means like I said should it land on this, but it should be this once in awhile. It causes opponents nightmares for reasons you mention and more. I mean look at the Flames response to the 3rd goal. you could read their minds "How do we stop this" They all looked heavenward for a prayer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Teams don't scheme for us when we assemble the super line? It's a nice break-glass-in-case-of-emergency option, but I don't think the game plan going into a series with the Senators should be emergency!

Had we lost this game in regulation, and without McDrai being reunited it was clearly headed that way, it would be break glass time and the team losing 4 in a row. That crisis was averted.

Sens are playing well and we need to pile up some W's after losing all pts in the Leafs series. We need to make hay here, this is the best way to do it short term.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Why?

The McDrai twist is a change up that most opponents can't handle and Nuge and Pulju are skilled enough to front a 2nd line and this even grows the game more of the latter, instead of being in the shade.

I mean this isn't where it lands, but its fine for 5 games to do this, and if McDrai superheat it gives us a good chance of winning the series.

With McDrai together for a bit we Win Win. The Ottawa games and the scoring race. Nuge will do better EV not playing with McD.

On separate lines teams have schemed specifically to break down McD, or Drai, and have been able to curtail them by double teaming. Playing the two together is an adjustment that we have to make once in awhile to throw a wrinkle at other clubs schemes, and few teams are capable of handling McDrai together. Last night was just the time to get McDrai back, said that before the game.

I'm not disagreeing whole-heartedly, but I think this is an "in-game" adjustment that should be made with more regularity, rather than an adjustment you make prior to the games.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Russell isn’t impeding Bouchard’s spot in the lineup. I think Bouchard on the left side experiment is over.

I do agree though, Bouchard needs to play.

Should be in over Bear.

Or we just run 11F and 7D.

When Archibald is back, take out Turris and Shore to the taxi squad.

Problem solved.

Reactions: Faelko

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not disagreeing whole-heartedly, but I think this is an "in-game" adjustment that should be made with more regularity, rather than an adjustment you make prior to the games.
Tend to agree. with the exception that the Covid NHL season allows little time on ice for practice, and its only full team practice. Its no longer the case that individual lines or groups of half a dozen players can get together and practice together. So in order for Nuge to have a fair chance with new linemates its important that he also gets some practice time with them.

Its one thing to pull a switch on opponent. But pulling it mid game is hard on Nuge too. Its fair he gets ample practice time with whoever his linemates will be.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
McDavid was absolutely flying against the Flamers and pulled a frustrated Draisaitl and Yamamoto into his jet stream which completely reset the game. I'm 50-50 on running out the nuclear stack against Ottawa but it is a calculated move against the right opponent to experiment with some line juggling. View it as short-term but Draisaitl, Kahun, Yamamoto hasn't been getting it done. Nuge gets a reset with a quality running mate in Puljujarvi and insert a different, smallish veteran 2LW to see how the chemistry goes.

I think this will be a short-term line juggle to get the team scoring and confident. Draisaitl in particular has been a workhorse with two smallish line mates which I think has been wearing him down and mitigating some of his elite skill set including getting more quality looks as this team's best snipe show. This team badly needs a bigger, quality 2 LW as a running mate to Draisaitl and Yamamoto. Premature ... but as I've posted elsewhere, a winger with many of the qualities that Holloway possess with elite skating, puck hunter tenacity and size would bookend Draisaitl/Yamamoto very well.

This is where we see value of centre/wing flexibility with Draisaitl and Nugent Hopkins.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Archi not at practice today.

I hate the idea of practicing with 29 - 97 together for a series against the Sens. Get back to balanced lines. Get Bouchard back into the lineup.

Maybe the idea is to try that 2nd line together against a lesser team in Ottawa with the hopes that they can develop some chemistry. You know that first line will work. I don't hate the idea especially with the previous lines struggling a bit and Tippett seemingly being allergic to the DRY line. I'm not sold on Ennis being the other winger on that line but we'll see how they do I guess.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
The Drai-KY line should be replaced with the DRY line for a stint against Ottawa.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Time for RNH to earn his pay cheque.
If RNH keeps sucking we could sign him for a 4x3mill and win 4 cups in a row cause of his sweet contract and 6million dollar play

honestly though the guy is a great 3rd line (non-grinding) center, and 1st string penalty killer.
He has good offensive finish but his offensive instincts can’t even smell McDavid they are so far.. which sucks because RNH has a bullet for a shot.

He is a great 3rd line Center, with the ability to slot in for the top six to cover injuries and get extra ice time/double shifted where he doesn’t need to be 100% defence focused.

Last edited:

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Time for RNH to earn his pay cheque.
100%

People getting all pissy about the line up change. Why can't our top 2 guys play together like others do? The answer is, "because we don't have depth" most of the time.

Well, this year our depth has won us some games and they haven't sh** the bed bleeding goals like last year (besides Turris).

I like it. Lets see what they do for the next few games.

Broken record, but people want to keep RNH (he will get a disgusting raise) for what? To not do much at all playing with the best player in the world and getting gravy PP time?

How about this guy pulls his weight around here and lets our two big horses do their thing?

I actually think Nuge's creativity is stifled playing with McDavid. Nuge can carry the puck through the neutral zone. He has done it.

I mean, everybody says Nuge is a good two way player. Shouldn't be a problem right?

Maybe this will humble little Nugey and show him what kind of player he REALLY is. We have this saying in Punjabi.. "Bandha bhanja"....BE A MAN. Time for him to become one

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
Ottawa is an easy team to score on, though not always easy to beat. This may be the game set to get a few players out of funks.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If RNH keeps sucking we could sign him for a 4x3mill and win 4 cups in a row cause of his sweet contract and 6million dollar play

honestly though the guy is a great 3rd line (non-grinding) center, and 1st string penalty killer.
He has good offensive finish but his offensive instincts can’t even smell McDavid they are so far.. which sucks because RNH has a bullet for a shot.

He is a great 3rd line Center, with the ability to slot in for the top six to cover injuries and get extra ice time/double shifted where he doesn’t need to be 100% defence focused.
Keeps sucking? The guys is 2nd in goals and 3rd in points on the team behind two pretty decent players.
This 3rd liner is going to command a lot more than 4x3 next contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad