Pre-Game Talk: Edm v Ott 3 Game Series Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Maybe consider this the Pre-Series Pre-Game and keep it going throughout the series, be interesting to read it after the series is over to see the ebb and flow depending on how the Oilers play the next 3 games vs the bottom feeders, who all the teams below us have struggled with.

If we can take this series 3-0 the way we took the first series it will separate us from Calgary and Vancouver and help solidify a playoff spot for us in the top 4.

Oilers really need to find the offensive mojo that went AWOL vs Toronto and play tighter defensively. We have given up the first goal of the game 4 games in a row and we are a different team when we are chasing as teams can lock it down and have we struggled come from behind this year, only 2-10 when behind to start the 3rd period this year.

We score the first goal in the games and teams chase us which makes a dramatic difference to this team when our bottom 6 cant find the ocean off a pier and when we are 2 up the game opens up a lot more for our high end players to find ice.

I think Tip will keep the Dime (DYM) line together for at least another game, he needs to get Draisaitl and Yamamoto going consistently and grab leads rather than chase games. When McDavid and Draisaitl are together the puck is usually in the other teams zone and we dont have a better puck hound to get them the puck than Yamo who also has finish and poise around the net to finish chances himself.

I like RNH back at C, at least he will be moving his feet and staying more engaged in the game there. Playing with PJ and either Kahun or Ennis should compliment his conservative game as each player brings something different however I find Kahun to be a perimeter player whereas Ennis gets in the guts of the game a lot more. But you don't have 2 small wingers out there like the Kahun Drai Yamo line which has proven ineffective for too many games now. And quite frankly if RNH wants a raise, then f***ing earn it.

The bottom 6 has once again become a black hole of nothingness offensively but at least they aren't killing us 5v5 as badly as early in the year when Turris was 3C. However Khaira is recycling his way back to being shitty Khaira, so he needs to step it up. I like the idea of Shore and Archi, they aren't afraid to mix it up and crash bang forecheck. Just aren't going to see any scoring.

I would like to see Haas get a goal or two here, and I think the 4th line can do a little damage offensively. Not the fleetest of foot on the wings but plenty of experience and gamesmanship there. As Neal showed vs Turtle he isn't afraid to mix it up.

Lines for Game 1 I dont think we will see a lot of change from what won them the game v Calgary, and think we might see to start:

Draisaitl - McDavid - Honey Badger
Kahun - RNH - PJ (However I would rather see Ennis in place of Kahun personally)
Shore - Khaira - Archibald (if healthy)
Neal - Haas - Chaisson

As for D, Tip probably goes with the same pairings. Outside of the bottom pair of Jones Bear who again struggled in the first period but played better as the game wore on, the pairings were pretty decent overall. I would rather Lagesson in for Jones and Bouchard has got to get playing at some point and I think we will see him in this series in at least 1 game.

Nurse - Barrie
Russell - Larsson
Jones - Bear

I think we see Smith to start. He seems to go with Smith after Smith posts a good game. Koskinen the middle game, and then I think back to Smith for the final game in the set.

I am most excited to see @ConnorMcMullet continue his 3 game GDT winning streak and further advance his cartoonist skills. He took a good step past stick-man drawings with the last winning GDT and we might even see perspective in his next set of drawings.

OK Oilers - opportunity knocks. 3 games to get yourselves back into the middle of the top 4 pack here and get your game in order.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Shore should be on the 4th line, and Ennis should be back to his spot on the 3rd. Then, I think you'll see Khaira's game perk up again. He just works really well with Archie and Ennis.

Reactions: SwedishFire

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Beware the Sens. They are going to be a tough out. Very young team that while inexperienced, has lots of energy and grit. And Matt Murray can still provide good goaltending at times.

Agreed. Each game got tougher against the Sens last time and they have been played 500 hockey since our series IIRC. They wont be easy and we have to bring our A game each time.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Beware the Sens. They are going to be a tough out. Very young team that while inexperienced, has lots of energy and grit. And Matt Murray can still provide good goaltending at times.
Sens have a great looking future. He went out and signed Murray which establishes the back end. They have some dandy dman in Chabot and Brannstrom and some great forwards who can score. In UND, they have 4 high end prospects and they have multiple 2nd RD picks can be traded. 2-3 years they will be strong

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
WE need to get 2/3 here. Do that and its holding serve. Go 3/3 and its gravy. But Ottawa has been stealing lunch money from other clubs so a sweep would be huge. Get either 2 or 3 wins here and Calgary is out of the mix.
Three games after the OTT series is Van/Cgy/Cgy giving them a chance to get back in or us to pull away even further.
I dont think CGY will be out of the mix anytime soon. This is going down to the end of April.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Three games after the OTT series is Van/Cgy/Cgy giving them a chance to get back in or us to pull away even further.
I dont think CGY will be out of the mix anytime soon. This is going down to the end of April.

Nucks would have to go on a real heater to get back into things. I would love if Nucks finish above Calgary. Nice that Montreal might be holding onto 4th spot. Oilers finishing 3rd and Flames out of the playoffs would be Win for me. This year it doesn't one bit whether you finish 2nd or 3rd, placing is irrelevant. Still the same opponent, and possibly without fans, and the Oilers play much better on the road.

Reactions: nally

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nucks would have to go on a real heater to get back into things. I would love if Nucks finish above Calgary. Nice that Montreal might be holding onto 4th spot. Oilers finishing 3rd and Flames out of the playoffs would be Win for me. This year it doesn't one bit whether you finish 2nd or 3rd, placing is irrelevant. Still the same opponent, and possibly without fans, and the Oilers play much better on the road.
Nucks are tied with CGY in pts but flames have games in hand.
Next 7 games for VAN: 4 vs MTL, 2 vs OTT and one vs EDM.

They can certainly catch up to us if they beat up on MTL.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nucks are tied with CGY in pts but flames have games in hand.
Next 7 games for VAN: 4 vs MTL, 2 vs OTT and one vs EDM.

They can certainly catch up to us if they beat up on MTL.

For the nucks its their GP thus far that is their problem. Every other club has games on hand and that needs to be factored in.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
How long do you sit Bouchard ?
Trade Russell for a bag of pucks and put the kid in the line up for ten years ,,,,,

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
qypBGmi.jpg

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Ottawa going to be a tougher out than the last set. Hopefully we win at least 2 out of the 3 games.

Reactions: Faelko

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
I'm not so sure Tippett goes back to McDrai. The way forward with this team is still having McDavid and Draisaitl centering their own lines. No better time to try and get them back in their rhythm than the next 3 against Ottawa, who by no means is a gimme but is obviously the weakest team we'll play this year.

But for the love of God just put Nuge with Draisaitl.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I would love to go 2/3 against OTT. Will be very happy. I thought we would win won against Toronto too. Ottawa is doable with effort.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I'm not so sure Tippett goes back to McDrai. The way forward with this team is still having McDavid and Draisaitl centering their own lines. No better time to try and get them back in their rhythm than the next 3 against Ottawa, who by no means is a gimme but is obviously the weakest team we'll play this year.

But for the love of God just put Nuge with Draisaitl.
He did go back to the line and put Ennis with RNH and JP today

Reactions: Faelko

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
How long do you sit Bouchard ?
Trade Russell for a bag of pucks and put the kid in the line up for ten years ,,,,,
Russell isn’t impeding Bouchard’s spot in the lineup. I think Bouchard on the left side experiment is over.

I do agree though, Bouchard needs to play.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Didn't see that. Wrong move IMO, but so is continuing to play Turris.

I'm not confident about that happening to be honest.
Only one way to find out lol. Lets see if our bottom 9 can stay above water. That is the only reason teams like BOS can load theirs up. Toronto as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad