Proposal: Edm/Tor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
You do realize that you are a fan of the Oilers right?

The point is valid regardless of what team I cheer for. The trade offered in my OP was decidedly one sided, but so was the Marleau deal. Teams with cap problems make deals where primary value isn’t necessarily player talent. Puljujarvi signed at under a million for a couple of years could be more valuable than Kapanen at 3.2 million. It is not a sure thing, but based on trade interest, there are teams who see a gamble worth taking for the right price. If it turns out the leafs have an extra 2.2 million in cap space to fill out their roster for next season and a cheaper person in a RW spot.

In regards to the myth that the leafs have no cap issues, I see 6 of their top 7 D-men needing to be Signed next season. They also need 3 bottom 6 forwards and a backup goalie. With 15.17 million to sign these players. Their defense will be an absolute mess without moving out some money proactively.

Do I think the leafs should do the deal, no probably not, but I also think there is a least a 30% chance that the oilers lose this deal badly.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I disagree. Unless we're massively lucky we're going to have to move one of KK,AK,AJ next off-season, and Pulju is a roll of the dice that could pay off huge.

When you have an asset like Kapanen and you’re trying to win, you don’t go for a roll of the dice kind of deal. You get cheaper players that are guaranteed to have an impact.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
When you have an asset like Kapanen and you’re trying to win, you don’t go for a roll of the dice kind of deal. You get cheaper players that are guaranteed to have an impact.

Like a former 4th overall pick with comparable physical tools that needs a change of scenery?

The dice roll is Pulju putting it together and living up to draft hype, but he'd be a pretty safe bet to go atleast 15/15 getting regular time in the top 9

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
You obviously pla
Coming from another Oiler fan, this is a pretty awful post to cap the thread off with.

Whether the Leafs have cap issues or not, I'm sure they can find someone much worse than Kapanen to dump, and probably still get back better than JP...if you were giving them some picks this might make more sense.

I wouldnt blame them for your thread when the value was fairly off to begin with.

You seem to under value Puljujarvi badly based on this post. I feel he should draw something of significant value. I feel he will outproduce Kapanen long term. It seems Holland’s position is similar to mine.

We need to back off everything in Edmonton sucks cause it’s Edmonton rhetoric that seems to be rampant on HF. This player is worth waiting for and if we are not getting value then why move him. It is a bad move for Puljujarvi to play in Finland, but Kaprisov is a top 5 prospect who plays in the KHL? The fact is the kid was not ready, so wait for him to be ready or ask for appropriate value.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Like a former 4th overall pick with comparable physical tools that needs a change of scenery?

The dice roll is Pulju putting it together and living up to draft hype, but he'd be a pretty safe bet to go atleast 15/15 getting regular time in the top 9
The fact that you could strong arm a 2 year deal out of him at less than a million to make the deal happen is also a plus.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I think this thread can be closed.....

Point has been made that the OP was lacking a bit. No need to pile on.

Cheers to hockey being around the corner!

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015

Draft position means nothing at this point. Sure he can put it all together, but it’s looking highly likely that he’s a bust. You don’t trade a player like KK for a bust.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
The fact that you could strong arm a 2 year deal out of him at less than a million to make the deal happen is also a plus.

Strong arm him? He has no choice but to accept that kind of deal. He’s struggled at every level of hockey post draft.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Draft position means nothing at this point. Sure he can put it all together, but it’s looking highly likely that he’s a bust. You don’t trade a player like KK for a bust.
While I agree the trade value was off, I cant help but point out the irony of you calling Jesse a bust, considering exactly how KK was performing at the age Jesse is now.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
While I agree the trade value was off, I cant help but point out the irony of you calling Jesse a bust, considering exactly how KK was performing at the age Jesse is now.

You mean when KK was putting up close to PPG stats in the AHL?

And when he then immediately solidified his role on one of the best teams in the NHL?

All at the ripe old age of 21.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You seem to under value Puljujarvi badly based on this post. I feel he should draw something of significant value. I feel he will outproduce Kapanen long term. It seems Holland’s position is similar to mine.

We need to back off everything in Edmonton sucks cause it’s Edmonton rhetoric that seems to be rampant on HF. This player is worth waiting for and if we are not getting value then why move him. It is a bad move for Puljujarvi to play in Finland, but Kaprisov is a top 5 prospect who plays in the KHL? The fact is the kid was not ready, so wait for him to be ready or ask for appropriate value.

If you have to wait for him to be ready, how does speculating that he might "outproduce Kapanen long term" mean that his current value is higher? Holland's position is to sit on him to see if he develops further and we can get better value, or entice him to come back and play for us. That doesn't mean Hollands position is to over-value him today and ask for a player like Kapanen. At one point it was reported we were trying to bundle JP with Lucic just to get rid of him and not take a bad contract back. Now JP on his own gets us Kapanen? I doubt it. Long term potential =/= significant value today.

If he is worth waiting for, then we can wait for him, and if the gamble pays off for us, we can ask for a higher return then. No team is going to trade us a decent to good player and then take on the task of waiting for JP to figure it out. You're asking them to pay up front for something they might never realize.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The posters from both sides have spoken. The leafs will not have cap issues in the next few years and Kapanen is earmarked for 60 point seasons. It seems like all is sunny in ToonTown.

Next episode:

Who was stupid enough to give an under 30 GM control of a 100 million dollar annual budget?
Fantastic, well thought out post.

Someone get this man a Pulitzer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad