Proposal: Edm/Tor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
toronto needs to make space for Marner and the Oil need something of value to move puljujarvi.

Kapanen for Puljujarvi.

Puljujarvi says this not about the money so sign him for 1 year 800k and your cap troubles are over and the step down is only temporary as Puljujarvi should turn into a player of similar if not higher shelf than Kapanen.

The oilers add a scoring winger to play with Neal and RNH

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
That’s pretty bad for Toronto. They could use a top 4 D on the right side but we can’t afford to move Larsson.

Puljujarvi likely doesn’t get the conversation even started.

Reactions: Ciao and TFHockey

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I believe Toronto is OK for cap space this year but next year is when they need to make moves. Kap is a very useful player this coming season and highly doubt Leafs move him for anything but a RHD upgrade.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton needs to add, but Puljujarvi is a good starting point. Edmonton probably needs to had a 2nd or a 3rd rounder and a minor prospect.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Puljujarvi as the main piece going back is a non starter.

I know. But so many teams are so cap strapped that I'm betting that whoever gets traded out of Toronto and wherever said player goes, Toronto isn't going to get the value they deserve. If they'd traded him at the draft they could have gotten a helluva lot more.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I know. But so many teams are so cap strapped that I'm betting that whoever gets traded out of Toronto and wherever said player goes, Toronto isn't going to get the value they deserve. If they'd traded him at the draft they could have gotten a helluva lot more.

Is that about Puljujarvi or Kapanen

Kapanen makes $3.2M for the next 3 years, which are his 23-26 years, statistically the most productive years. His contract status is a positive, not a negative.

It sounds like you're saying Toronto needs to absorb a hit on value because other teams don't have space, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Oh boy, Puljujärvi needs to become an NHL player first before a trade for any other NHL player especially not a 20 goal scorer, At this point Puljujärvi is only worth other deadbeat prospects but with still a heartbeat, think Olli Juolevi, Zach Senyshyn or Josh Ho-Sang type prospects.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I don't think any sane leafs fan would do that, Kapanen has 60 point potential. Maybe Ceci+Kapanen for Larsson

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Is that about Puljujarvi or Kapanen

Kapanen makes $3.2M for the next 3 years, which are his 23-26 years, statistically the most productive years. His contract status is a positive, not a negative.

It sounds like you're saying Toronto needs to absorb a hit on value because other teams don't have space, which doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said about Kapanen's contract, age and general situation.

I'm saying that there are a bunch of teams in cap hell and a number of that will be over the cap after they resign their restricted free agents and that's going to make it harder to sell a good product unless you're giving it away.

There have been a number of trades in the salary cap era that have evoked facepalming from thousands in the hockey community.

Heck Ottawa is so stingy right now I honestly don't know if they'd give a 2nd and a 3rd for Kapanen right now.

Teams I doubt would be willing or able make the trade:

Detroit - Clearly rebuildling
Ottawa - Probably too cheap. Obviously intent on spending no money.
Columbus - Probably wants to rebuild
Anaheim - Looks to be rebuildling
LA - Might go for it if their GM is insane enough to still think they don't need to go into a rebuild
Minny - Probably in need of a rebuild
Winnipeg - Have 15M space to sign 2 key RFAs
Tampa - Probably doesn't even have the cap space to resign Point right now
Philly - highly doubt they've got the cap space after they resign their RFA
Calgary - Doesn't even have the cap space for Tkachuk
Boeser - Doesn't even have the cap space for Boeser
Boston - Will be capped out or maybe in need of a few hundred K of cap space after they send someone down to make space for resigned RFA
San Jose - lacks cap space
Chicago - Lacks cap space
Nashville - lacks cap space
New York Rangers - Lacks cap space
Vegas - Lacks cap space
Dallas - Lacks cap space
Florida - Lacks cap space
St. Louis lacks cap space
Buffalo lacks cap space
Carolina lacks cap space
Pittsburgh lacks cap space
Caps lack cap space.

2 of those teams (underlined) are going to act cap strapped at least until they've resigned their restricted free agents.
4 of those teams (bolded) are going to be in the same boat as Toronto after they've resigned their players.
6 of those teams (italicized) are in a rebuild or seem to be pushed in that direction and I think you can agree Kapanen doesn't fit the build of an asset you pay for a fair price for if you're rebuildling.
12 teams clearly lack the cap space to absorb the contract.
That's 24 teams that are off the board instantly.

-------------------------

Teams I think can fit him under the cap:

Arizona
Colorado
NY Islanders
Montreal
Edmonton
Dallas - Might be able to fit him under the cap assuming Stephen Johns doesn't play this year
Jersey - Has traded away 2020 2nd and 3rd and 2021 2nd already. Do they want to blow more future on cap space to compete now? Very debatable.

So you've got 7 teams there.

I'm going to go out and say that Montreal would look like a fool to pay what Kapanen is worth given how they're rivals and all.

My doubts about Dallas and Jersey are there and they are both debatable.

Does New Jersey want to pay prospects in the juniors and minors and picks to compete right now when they haven't really done anything with their team yet? Yes Hall is healthy and yes Kapanen would look great in their top 6 and yes Suban will make them much better, but are they going to blow so much of their future over the course of a single off-season?

With Dallas, I know little of Johns' injury status. I just know he's out for who knows how long. If the team thinks he's coming back this year they clearly don't have the cap space. They've already traded their 2020 2nd and 3rd rounders away to boot.

So I'm going to say I've whittled down to 4 teams now.

Arizona, Edmonton, Colorado and the Islanders.

And let's say I'm wrong and it's actually 6. There are 4 other teams that will be trying to make deals to make cap space for their players.

Even if all 6 of those teams are willing to eat cap space, you're looking at 5 teams selling assets to 6 teams. It's not a great boat to be in.

So again, I could see Puljujarvi + 2nd or Puljujarvi + 3rd + minor prospect. Toronto takes on no cap space and they aren't trading Kapanen away to a team that the Leafs only place twice a year. Assuming I'm on the mark about everything up until now, it's really not a bad offer considering the situation.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said about Kapanen's contract, age and general situation.

I'm saying that there are a bunch of teams in cap hell and a number of that will be over the cap after they resign their restricted free agents and that's going to make it harder to sell a good product unless you're giving it away.

There have been a number of trades in the salary cap era that have evoked facepalming from thousands in the hockey community.

Heck Ottawa is so stingy right now I honestly don't know if they'd give a 2nd and a 3rd for Kapanen right now.

Teams I doubt would be willing or able make the trade:

Detroit - Clearly rebuildling
Ottawa - Probably too cheap. Obviously intent on spending no money.
Columbus - Probably wants to rebuild
Anaheim - Looks to be rebuildling
LA - Might go for it if their GM is insane enough to still think they don't need to go into a rebuild
Minny - Probably in need of a rebuild
Winnipeg - Have 15M space to sign 2 key RFAs
Tampa - Probably doesn't even have the cap space to resign Point right now
Philly - highly doubt they've got the cap space after they resign their RFA
Calgary - Doesn't even have the cap space for Tkachuk
Boeser - Doesn't even have the cap space for Boeser
Boston - Will be capped out or maybe in need of a few hundred K of cap space after they send someone down to make space for resigned RFA
San Jose - lacks cap space
Chicago - Lacks cap space
Nashville - lacks cap space
New York Rangers - Lacks cap space
Vegas - Lacks cap space
Dallas - Lacks cap space
Florida - Lacks cap space
St. Louis lacks cap space
Buffalo lacks cap space
Carolina lacks cap space
Pittsburgh lacks cap space
Caps lack cap space.

2 of those teams (underlined) are going to act cap strapped at least until they've resigned their restricted free agents.
4 of those teams (bolded) are going to be in the same boat as Toronto after they've resigned their players.
6 of those teams (italicized) are in a rebuild or seem to be pushed in that direction and I think you can agree Kapanen doesn't fit the build of an asset you pay for a fair price for if you're rebuildling.
12 teams clearly lack the cap space to absorb the contract.
That's 24 teams that are off the board instantly.

-------------------------

Teams I think can fit him under the cap:

Arizona
Colorado
NY Islanders
Montreal
Edmonton
Dallas - Might be able to fit him under the cap assuming Stephen Johns doesn't play this year
Jersey - Has traded away 2020 2nd and 3rd and 2021 2nd already. Do they want to blow more future on cap space to compete now? Very debatable.

So you've got 7 teams there.

I'm going to go out and say that Montreal would look like a fool to pay what Kapanen is worth given how they're rivals and all.

My doubts about Dallas and Jersey are there and they are both debatable.

Does New Jersey want to pay prospects in the juniors and minors and picks to compete right now when they haven't really done anything with their team yet? Yes Hall is healthy and yes Kapanen would look great in their top 6 and yes Suban will make them much better, but are they going to blow so much of their future over the course of a single off-season?

With Dallas, I know little of Johns' injury status. I just know he's out for who knows how long. If the team thinks he's coming back this year they clearly don't have the cap space. They've already traded their 2020 2nd and 3rd rounders away to boot.

So I'm going to say I've whittled down to 4 teams now.

Arizona, Edmonton, Colorado and the Islanders.

And let's say I'm wrong and it's actually 6. There are 4 other teams that will be trying to make deals to make cap space for their players.

Even if all 6 of those teams are willing to eat cap space, you're looking at 5 teams selling assets to 6 teams. It's not a great boat to be in.

So again, I could see Puljujarvi + 2nd or Puljujarvi + 3rd + minor prospect. Toronto takes on no cap space and they aren't trading Kapanen away to a team that the Leafs only place twice a year. Assuming I'm on the mark about everything up until now, it's really not a bad offer considering the situation.
I feel like someone posted something that was paywalled with how long this post is.

Reactions: thadd

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I feel like someone posted something that was paywalled with how long this post is.

Yeah, I used to do this a lot more often. Maybe once a month I'll post my two cents and attempt to do the thinking for the other person to shorten the time it takes to come to a conclusion. Sometimes it actually works.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yeah, I used to do this a lot more often. Maybe once a month I'll post my two cents and attempt to do the thinking for the other person to shorten the time it takes to come to a conclusion. Sometimes it actually works.

Leafs have zero issues being cap compliant until Hyman and Dermott return which is estimated to be around game 13. At that point it's unclear what the plan is. Ie shed salary or go w 21 man roster... Ceci could be moved but the d is already as mentioned above thin to begin the year (Dermott).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad