Proposal: EDM / TOR

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
yeah when he plays though he puts up.
8g/19pts in 41 games the last 3 years despite little ice time

I'd rather the leafs give him a regular spot and watch his value sky rocket when he starts to put up next to the talent they have. He is fighting Ennis for a spot now but injuries could change things

I understand that. I doubt any GM is going is going to assess at a half a point player though. They are going see 25 and less than 82 games.

I believe that if Leivo even got 3rd line minutes he would produce. Any team that can play him on a 3rd line can get Leivo cheap I think. I don't think Babcock and the Leafs have any faith in him at all. It's not Corrado type levels but I think he's been a mismanaged asset.

*Edit. Sorry on a phone....

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What about the three years and 28 games between 2013-2016 when the Leafs were garbage and there was plenty of opportunity to steal a spot? There have been countless players who have produced at the AHL level and have been able to put up reasonable numbers in the NHL but they don't do enough elsewhere to stick.

I agree that he'd be worth giving a shot, but this is a waiver pickup.. not a 3rd round pick and definitely not a roster player move.

You mean when he was a 1st-3rd year pro and when he was injuried?(parts of year 2 and 3).

I agree that it’s discouraging that he didn’t play more in 2016, but you can’t exactly expect someone to come out of junior and right to the NHL or back from half injured 20-21 age AHL years and do that. The first year I’d be critical of Leivo for not earning an NHL job on a crappy Leafs team was 15-16 and he was actually quite good in his very small sample that year. IIRC he was an AHL all star and should have been called up sooner to determine what he was before he lost his waiver exemption that offseason

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
As a Flames fan, the Oilers would be nuts to do this. Khaira just keeps getting better and better. Will he get a whole lot better, probably not, but he doesn't have to. The guy is the perfect bottom 6'er. I'd love him on my team.

Now Kassian.....yeah, that's a trade you make. Not because Khaira is better, but because Kassian cost's too much for what he is bringing to the table.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
what an ignorant comment

Leivo has 8g/19pts over 41 games the last 3 seasons. thats a 16g/38pt full season pace. Guess how many oilers had that many goals OR points?

tells you something about that team. fans like you are the reason i enjoy seeing the oilers continue to be the laughingstock of the league, although montreal is giving them a run

ya we suck, thats good and all .... u realize leafs haven't won a single playoff series in the cap era ? Careful throwing rocks in ur glass house friend

Reactions: 780il

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Khaira at the very least is a really solid bottom 6 forward. Leivo is an AHL/NHL tweener.

Just your typical Leafs proposal involving their garbage for something decent.
Our garbage? Khaira can barely crack a forward group that's among the worst in the league. Hes done nothing at the NHL level. I love the hypocrisy here though; my guy is all sunshine and rainbows and is at least a third or fourth liner while the other guy is garbage. Leivo is not a tweener, he's an NHL quality forward who, unfortunately for him, got stuck in a numbers game on one of the deeper forward groups in the league. Where is he supposed to play, on the fourth line? That's not his style. He's an offensive winger who needs the minutes. Some GM is gonna get a 20/20 winger at a bargain when he's traded. There's a reason the Leafs haven't simply given him away.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It’s not about his ability, it’s that dealing him for a guy like Leivo saves us over a million in cap space. 1.8 is a lot for the fourth line.
I don't mind paying 1.8 for a fourth liner if its a guy like Kassian, who can be moved up a line once in awhile if needed. I'd rather than than an 800K guy who hasn't shown he can play every night.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Okay come on now. Leivo isn’t garbage but expecting a 40 point pace out of him on five seasons of spotwork here and there is just as silly as the guys that think Ty Rattie is scoring 50 points next year due to his pace last year.

More silly. At least Rattie has a shot of playing on McDavid's line for a significant amount of time. Connor could bounce 30 in off of Rattie's backside, ha ha.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Our garbage? Khaira can barely crack a forward group that's among the worst in the league. Hes done nothing at the NHL level. I love the hypocrisy here though; my guy is all sunshine and rainbows and is at least a third or fourth liner while the other guy is garbage. Leivo is not a tweener, he's an NHL quality forward who, unfortunately for him, got stuck in a numbers game on one of the deeper forward groups in the league. Where is he supposed to play, on the fourth line? That's not his style. He's an offensive winger who needs the minutes. Some GM is gonna get a 20/20 winger at a bargain when he's traded. There's a reason the Leafs haven't simply given him away.

Yes everyone is always so certain that all their prospects are really amazing and they just need the minutes and then they'll produce.

Then it turns out they're just Lonny Bohonos more often than not. Leivo might be a player and maybe some team will get a steal but you should stop trying to convince everyone that that's definitely going to happen and he's worth a ton.

You should get educated on Khaira though. It's not a good look when you ignorantly trash a player and a team in a pathetic defense of "your" guy.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Leivo has virtually no trade value because he really hasn't been given a chance to show what he's capable of (you can argue about those reasons, but our depth is a significant factor). The best thing the Leafs could do is showcase him for a few weeks (with ~15/16 mins of ice time) and hope he plays at the offensive level that he's capable of. I think there are a lot of people in this thread who haven't the faintest clue about him other than stat-reading.

Last edited:

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Oilers won't trade Kassian. I don't think Kassian would want to leave Edmonton. He resserected his career in Edmonton. Fans love him.
Lievo is not a good Players. JJ khaira is a beast and he is cheap.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
After speaking with my good friend Alexandre Giroux about AHL beasts..
Darn lost my train of thought while looking at his NHL stats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad