Proposal: EDM / TOR

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Khaira at the very least is a really solid bottom 6 forward. Leivo is an AHL/NHL tweener.

Just your typical Leafs proposal involving their garbage for something decent.

Khaira 96gp 12g 12a 24pts
Leivo 57gp 10g 12a 22pts

Khaira -0.5 cf% Rel. -0.8 ff% Rel.
Leivo +2.7 cf% Rel. +5.7 ff% Rel.

Khaira 62PIM. 97 Shots. -8 takeaway differential.
Leivo 20PIM. 86 Shots. +20 takeaway differential.

Leivo has been as good or better with less opportunity. It’s harder to crack the Leafs lineup as a forward than it is Edmontons. The only real difference between the two is Khaira throws a lot more hits, and gifts the opposition more PP’s, and is generally not as good at hockey.

I’d rather keep Leivo.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Khaira 96gp 12g 12a 24pts
Leivo 57gp 10g 12a 22pts

Khaira -0.5 cf% Rel. -0.8 ff% Rel.
Leivo +2.7 cf% Rel. +5.7 ff% Rel.

Khaira 62PIM. 97 Shots. -8 takeaway differential.
Leivo 20PIM. 86 Shots. +20 takeaway differential.

Leivo has been as good or better with less opportunity. It’s harder to crack the Leafs lineup as a forward than it is Edmontons. The only real difference between the two is Khaira throws a lot more hits, and gifts the opposition more PP’s, and is generally not as good at hockey.

I’d rather keep Leivo.
Good for you.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Well no, dummy, i’m not the GM.. I have no say. So it’s not good for me.
You're right.. most GM's would make their evaluations on watching the players instead of pulling out irrelevant stats.

Leivo is Toronto's version of Ty Rattie or Pontus Aberg.

teleman

Dec 26, 2006
Khaira at the very least is a really solid bottom 6 forward. Leivo is an AHL/NHL tweener.
I don't think Leivo is garbage.
Not sure exactly what he is since he hasn't had much opportunity under Babcock.
I think he could potentially be a decent cheap(waiver?) pickup for another team but his value sure isn't a roster player.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't think Leivo is garbage.
Not sure exactly what he is since he hasn't had much opportunity under Babcock.
I think he could potentially be a decent cheap(waiver?) pickup for another team but his value sure isn't a roster player.
His value is garbage.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While Leivo’s trade value isn’t very high at all due to lack of play, a smart team will try and get him.

He has NHL level offense, and could easily slide into a depth scoring role. The Leafs are incredibly deep with wingers, for most other rebuilding/young teams image would/should have made it

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
While Leivo’s trade value isn’t very high at all due to lack of play, a smart team will try and get him.

He has NHL level offense, and could easily slide into a depth scoring role. The Leafs are incredibly deep with wingers, for most other rebuilding/young teams image would/should have made it
What about the three years and 28 games between 2013-2016 when the Leafs were garbage and there was plenty of opportunity to steal a spot? There have been countless players who have produced at the AHL level and have been able to put up reasonable numbers in the NHL but they don't do enough elsewhere to stick.

I agree that he'd be worth giving a shot, but this is a waiver pickup.. not a 3rd round pick and definitely not a roster player move.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I get why Oilers say no but Leivo's issue is being a skilled winger on a team with a stacked forward group. No way he cracks the top 6, but when given limited time there he has produced as a top 6 forward.

I think low key he'd be a great add for a team like Edmonton who needs wingers and Leivo would score 30 there with Drai or McDavid.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I get why Oilers say no but Leivo's issue is being a skilled winger on a team with a stacked forward group. No way he cracks the top 6, but when given limited time there he has produced as a top 6 forward.

I think low key he'd be a great add for a team like Edmonton who needs wingers and Leivo would score 30 there with Drai or McDavid.
idk what you're smoking but it must be really damn good if you think josh freaking leivo can score 30 goals in the nhl LOL
why give him up for so cheap then? attach him to Matthews or Tavares 's hip. we have enough skilled under performing wingers. we keep Khaira

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
idk what you're smoking but it must be really damn good if you think josh freaking leivo can score 30 goals in the nhl LOL
why give him up for so cheap then? attach him to Matthews or Tavares 's hip. we have enough skilled under performing wingers. we keep Khaira

Because Hyman lives in the top 6 under Babs and he isn't better than Nylander, Marleau, or Marner. On the third line there are better defensive forwards. So when he gets in the lineup he usually gets 4th line minutes when he hasn't played a game for months.

He has the potential for sure.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I sincerely doubt Josh Leivo will ever even approach 30 goals at the NHL level. You are seriously underestimating how hard it is to score 30. He only had one30 goal season in the OHL and none as a Marlie.

I think he’d be an ok add for a mid round pick but expecting 30 is crazy town.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Khaira is a tough guy but he also has skills. As a very young freshman at Michigan Tech he quickly went from a winger in the bottom 6 to centering their top line with Petan and Pietila. He's always been very defensively responsible so he has tended to have more of a checking role. This was true in both Everett and OKC. But when given a chance to play with skilled players he can handle his own. The knock on him early was his skating which was not bad but a bit awkward. That's no longer an issue as he is now a strong skater. He's got solid hands and a decent shot, plus he know how to get open. So if you play him in a checking role he can grind and if you play him with skill he does not look out of place. He had 4 goals and 7 points in 168 minutes playing at ES with Leon in what amounts to his real first year in the NHL. It's a small sample size but at that pace if he played the whole year there you might expect 15 goals and about 30 points at ES. I could also see him get some time as the net front presence on one of the pp units since he is a handful physically.

Right now it's not clear where he will play. He could go back to the third line with Strome where had pretty decent chemistry. But he may end up as the LW with Leon. He could also fill in at center if needed.

Leivo is a guy I have liked since his Ranger days. But no way I'd trade Khaira for him and I doubt anyone who follows the Oilers closely would.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Khaira is a tough guy but he also has skills. As a very young freshman at Michigan Tech he quickly went from a winger in the bottom 6 to centering their top line with Petan and Pietila. He's always been very defensively responsible so he has tended to have more of a checking role. This was true in both Everett and OKC. But when given a chance to play with skilled players he can handle his own. The knock on him early was his skating which was not bad but a bit awkward. That's no longer an issue as he is now a strong skater. He's got solid hands and a decent shot, plus he know how to get open. So if you play him in a checking role he can grind and if you play him with skill he does not look out of place. He had 4 goals and 7 points in 168 minutes playing at ES with Leon in what amounts to his real first year in the NHL. It's a small sample size but at that pace if he played the whole year there you might expect 15 goals and about 30 points at ES. I could also see him get some time as the net front presence on one of the pp units since he is a handful physically.

Right now it's not clear where he will play. He could go back to the third line with Strome where had pretty decent chemistry. But he may end up as the LW with Leon. He could also fill in at center if needed.

Leivo is a guy I have liked since his Ranger days. But no way I'd trade Khaira for him and I doubt anyone who follows the Oilers closely would.

Well said.

No one is saying ‘ew no gross Leivo why’ - we are just extremely unwilling to move Khaira for him, or at all really. Young, cheap, productive NHLers are exactly what we need more of.

Additionally I’m sure OP wasn’t aware but Khaira is quickly becoming a fan favourite. My buddy runs a hockey store in south Edmonton where there’s a large ‘brown’ origin population and he said Khaira was his 4th most sold jersey after McDavid, Drai, and Nurse. He’s very giving with his time and is proud to be one of the very few Indian ancestry players in the NHL. Plus he did Lucic and Kassian’s jobs better than either one of them last year at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

what an ignorant comment

Leivo has 8g/19pts over 41 games the last 3 seasons. thats a 16g/38pt full season pace. Guess how many oilers had that many goals OR points?

tells you something about that team. fans like you are the reason i enjoy seeing the oilers continue to be the laughingstock of the league, although montreal is giving them a run

Reactions: jasonleaffan

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
what an ignorant comment

Leivo has 8g/19pts over 41 games the last 3 seasons. thats a 16g/38pt full season pace. Guess how many oilers had that many goals OR points?

tells you something about that team. fans like you are the reason i enjoy seeing the oilers continue to be the laughingstock of the league, although montreal is giving them a run

At least they've won a playoff round in the last decade

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Agreed. And yes I think Kassian would have more value too. Leivo's probably at best a 5th due to his usage.

Leivo is 25 and in 4 years has played less than 82 games in total. Regardless of what he actually is, unless Babcock is going to play him, he'll be worth next to nothing.

yeah when he plays though he puts up.
8g/19pts in 41 games the last 3 years despite little ice time

I'd rather the leafs give him a regular spot and watch his value sky rocket when he starts to put up next to the talent they have. He is fighting Ennis for a spot now but injuries could change things

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
what an ignorant comment

Complains about ignorant comment, goes on to make an ignorant comment.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
what an ignorant comment

Okay come on now. Leivo isn’t garbage but expecting a 40 point pace out of him on five seasons of spotwork here and there is just as silly as the guys that think Ty Rattie is scoring 50 points next year due to his pace last year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I'd rather the leafs give him a regular spot and watch his value sky rocket when he starts to put up next to the talent they have. He is fighting Ennis for a spot now but injuries could change things

If he’s fighting with Ennis for a spot, he just isn’t that good.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Let's be honest though, the only time he's actually produced was playing with Komarov/Kadri at 5v5 and Matthews/Nylander on the PP in 16/17.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

Right but I was never arguing it was a fair deal, I just said he was under rated and had potential, and buddy kind of attacked him so I was just giving some additional weight. Leivo gets under rated and I think he is gone after training camp and he will be a good top 6 piece for a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad