Proposal: EDM/Tor

Jan 21, 2018
Overpaid 2 C... you're like a broken record. If RNH can get 65 points on McDavid's wing next year, and then taking face-offs or covering 2C if injuries occur... why wouldn't Oiler fans see value in that? We know what we have in RNH. You obviously don't.

Since you seem to take so much interest in my posts, you'll notice I'm REPLYING in all those threads that you see me as a broken record. Which means Oiler fans are actually the ones repeating the same nonsense in every thread.

You don't pay a player 6M so he can put up points beside McDavid. That is a terrible use of cap space, the reason why McDavid is getting 13M is because he is so good that he should basically be able to play with basically anyone.

You give McDavid bottom 6 W on cheap contracts that show they have some chemsitry with him, no different than Maroon. And when Maroon asks for a big contract you let him walk and repeat the process. That's how you spread out offense, that's how you win hockey games. You don't win hockey games by putting your most expensive players on one line or you can be easily beat.

50 points for a 6M 2nd line C is not good value, no matter how many times Oiler homers try to convince everyone so they feel better.

But of course the automatic response is to just put him with McDavid, add 10 points to his stats and then demand a huge return on HFBoards.

The only point you made that makes somewhat sense is that Gardiner will be a UFA sooner than RNH. And that only makes sense if you feel Gardiner will not re-sign in Edmonton, which means you believe Edmonton is not an ideal spot for UFA's to sign. If that is your supporting argument then we can at least agree on one thing, otherwise your post was pretty bad.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Since you seem to take so much interest in my posts, you'll notice I'm REPLYING in all those threads that you see me as a broken record. Which means Oiler fans are actually the ones repeating the same nonsense in every thread.

You don't pay a player 6M so he can put up points beside McDavid. That is a terrible use of cap space, the reason why McDavid is getting 13M is because he is so good that he should basically be able to play with basically anyone.

You give McDavid bottom 6 W on cheap contracts that show they have some chemsitry with him, no different than Maroon. And when Maroon asks for a big contract you let him walk and repeat the process. That's how you spread out offense, that's how you win hockey games. You don't win hockey games by putting your most expensive players on one line or you can be easily beat.

50 points for a 6M 2nd line C is not good value, no matter how many times Oiler homers try to convince everyone so they feel better.

But of course the automatic response is to just put him with McDavid, add 10 points to his stats and then demand a huge return on HFBoards.

The only point you made that makes somewhat sense is that Gardiner will be a UFA sooner than RNH. And that only makes sense if you feel Gardiner will not re-sign in Edmonton, which means you believe Edmonton is not an ideal spot for UFA's to sign. If that is your supporting argument then we can at least agree on one thing, otherwise your post was pretty bad.

So as far as you’re concerned the only reason - and the ONLY reason - a UFA wouldn’t sign with a team that traded for him is because - what, because of the city?

By that logic you should be completely OK with trading Auston Matthews for an unsigned Karlsson. After all Matthews is just a 65-70 point C and Toronto is the centre of the universe. You should be supremely convinced that this is a great trade for the Leafs.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
The Nuge got his contract years before we won the McDavid lottery, and I would argue a player like Nuge with what he brings to the game, is not overpayed in today’s nhl.
If you guys want Strome+ for Gardiner...but of course you don’t. I am sure you can find a trade partner for Gardiner but for what you value him as, I hope is not my team.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017

I disagree. If you can find a skilled guy with great chemistry to play with someone like McDavid you keep him for 6 million. McDavid likely scores about 110-120 points and RNH possibly 65-70 points a season together with more offensive consistency then McDavid having to carry someone like Maroon who creates very little offensively (for a first liner) so that McDavid has to scratch and claw to 100 points and Maroon score about 45 points. His other winger is not that important, but playing with Hopkins make both McDavid and Hopkins better, which is only a good thing for the Oilers.

Hopkins is not getting traded. The Oilers can move other assets to try and improve their offense from the blue line.

Reactions: TFHockey

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The Maple Leafs future does look very bright indeed. Good young nucleus. Hope the Oilers run into them in an all Canadian Stanley cup final.
i don't hope that lol. if the oilers make the playoffs they will be great and they will probably beat the leafs and thats not what i want

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yes.

Edmonton would be looking at Gardiner purely as a rental and one that doesn’t fill a positional need for us. We need RHD.

On top of that, OP is asking for a player that we have absolutely no desire to move. None.

Effectively by asking for RNH youre asking Edmonton to remove one of only three forwards we have that we can count on to produce and be responsible defensively, and you’re asking us to move this player for one year of Jake Gardiner, who would do nothing but add to our glut of LHD.

Some might say he can play the right side. Wonderful. We already have Russell playing the right side.

Some might say once we have Gardiner we can re-sign him and trade one of our other D for forward help. That seems like a lot of gambles and maybes to shoehorn in a guy we don’t overly want in the first place.

In summary.

You’re trying to trade an ~80 point team a rental.

Said rental is not the handedness we want.

Said rental has some fairly major defensive issues.

You’re asking for a piece we cannot afford to lose in return.

Rental offensive defencemen do not return core pieces. Look no further than Kevin Shattenkirk last year to see how most of the league would value Gardiner.

300+ games of RNH >>>> 82 games of Gardiner. Whatever other mental gymnastics you need to do to convince yourself that this is somehow bad for Toronto be my guest, but trust me when I tell you that no Oiler fan anywhere wants any part of shipping RNH out for what would amount to Gardiner’s 2018 trade deadline return of a low first and some spare parts.
Ya i am not arguing, just talking more in general. This deal doesn't really work for either team; ya the Leafs could use RNH, but D needs to be our target. And Edmonton really can't deal RNH.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I accidentally came in here for the second time. I saw this thread before and I just assumed that it would have been locked by now.

Regardless of what Leafs or Oil fans value Hopkins and Gardiner to be, this trade will never happen. Gardiner doesn't provide what Edmonton needs and Hopkins is the best line mate we've got for McDavid if Drai is playing center.

Apr 1, 2010
So as far as you’re concerned the only reason - and the ONLY reason - a UFA wouldn’t sign with a team that traded for him is because - what, because of the city?

By that logic you should be completely OK with trading Auston Matthews for an unsigned Karlsson. After all Matthews is just a 65-70 point C and Toronto is the centre of the universe. You should be supremely convinced that this is a great trade for the Leafs.
Ridiculous drivel.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
My opinion of elite is someone who can change and dominate the complexion of the game, who makes whoever he plays with noticeably better, and someone who contributes on a consistent basis.

Elite is best of the best hense why they are elite the good and very good do not qualify.

My opinion is if you are not a top 3 player at your position you are not elite

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Toronto want a D man but yet they want to trade a D man for a center ??? Gardiner was exposed in the playoffs for what he is ... a big defensive liability . Leafs need a good stay at home defenseman so Gardiner + for a upgrade

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Toronto want a D man but yet they want to trade a D man for a center ??? Gardiner was exposed in the playoffs for what he is ... a big defensive liability . Leafs need a good stay at home defenseman so Gardiner + for a upgrade
For 1 game....yes. I assume that game 7 was the only game you watched?

EDIT: And i am in no way saying the Oilers would/should do the deal in the OP.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Elite is best of the best hense why they are elite the good and very good do not qualify.

My opinion is if you are not a top 3 player at your position you are not elite

So would you not consider a player like David Pastrnak or Blake Wheeler for example elite? Would you not consider a player like Mark Scheifele or Auston Matthews or Jack Eichel elite? All of those guys are not top 3 at their current position but to me, those guys are elite players.. Think you're being too critical with the elite status here..

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So would you not consider a player like David Pastrnak or Blake Wheeler for example elite? Would you not consider a player like Mark Scheifele or Auston Matthews or Jack Eichel elite? All of those guys are not top 3 at their current position but to me, those guys are elite players.. Think you're being too critical with the elite status here..

I only quibble with you a tiny bit.. Matthews and Eichel aren't elite... yet. I think it is clear they are part of the next class of elite players, however. To me the Crosby and Ovechkin era is drawing to a close in the next 2-3 years and the Laine, McDavid, Matthews and Eichel era is just beginning.

McDavid being clearly the best player in the league, of course ;)

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
I only quibble with you a tiny bit.. Matthews and Eichel aren't elite... yet. I think it is clear they are part of the next class of elite players, however. To me the Crosby and Ovechkin era is drawing to a close in the next 2-3 years and the Laine, McDavid, Matthews and Eichel era is just beginning.

McDavid being clearly the best player in the league, of course ;)

I guess that’s fair, but you can’t tell me that Mark Scheifele after the season and playoffs he just had isn’t elite. The guy is a borderline superstar.

Yeah McDavid is the best player in the league, but without enough talent around him it’ll be Art Ross after Hart after Hart after Art Ross without appearances in the playoffs. And with your extremely incompetent GM, I’d be a tad bit worried, even with the best player in the league on my roster..

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I guess that’s fair, but you can’t tell me that Mark Scheifele after the season and playoffs he just had isn’t elite. The guy is a borderline superstar.

Yeah McDavid is the best player in the league, but without enough talent around him it’ll be Art Ross after Hart after Hart after Art Ross without appearances in the playoffs. And with your extremely incompetent GM, I’d be a tad bit worried, even with the best player in the league on my roster..

Totally agree.

GMs come and go but McDavid is here forever ;)

Seriously though Chiarelli will get fired if he loses another trade.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Totally agree.

GMs come and go but McDavid is here forever ;)

Seriously though Chiarelli will get fired if he loses another trade.

Yeah McDavid is special, there’s no doubting that, he grew up 20 minutes from me so many of my buddies know him and have played hockey with him at some point.

Honestly a line of Hall-McDavid-Draisaitl would have been HOF worthy. I feel bad for you guys but at the same time I don’t, trading Eberle for a flake draft bust was horrible as soon as it was announced and Hall for Larsson everyone knew was absolutely god awful. Hall for Subban would have been a great trade though. Next thing you know Dubas might be able to swing Klefbom for Gardiner ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad