Proposal: EDM/Tor

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah McDavid is special, there’s no doubting that, he grew up 20 minutes from me so many of my buddies know him and have played hockey with him at some point.

Honestly a line of Hall-McDavid-Draisaitl would have been HOF worthy. I feel bad for you guys but at the same time I don’t, trading Eberle for a flake draft bust was horrible as soon as it was announced and Hall for Larsson everyone knew was absolutely god awful. Hall for Subban would have been a great trade though. Next thing you know Dubas might be able to swing Klefbom for Gardiner ;)

Oh come on, Eberle had no value when we traded him. Hall for Larsson was awful. Hall for Subban was never on the table, Subban was, but the rumors were Hall and Draisaitl+ Bad deal there.

Apr 1, 2010
Says the guy saying the Oilers should offer Nurse for the third best Nylander that’s not even a good AHLer, and also the Gards for Nurse or Drai gem.

Beat it.
Ya those weren't exactly serious offers, but Chiarelli is an idiot so who knows what he would accept.
Sorry if I fooled you into thinking those were real.

But the crap you spewed about Matthews and Toronto is exactly what I called it. Ridiculous drivel.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ya those weren't exactly serious offers, but Chiarelli is an idiot so who knows what he would accept.
Sorry if I fooled you into thinking those were real.

But the crap you spewed about Matthews and Toronto is exactly what I called it. Ridiculous drivel.

Your sarcasm radar is completely broken.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Oh come on, Eberle had no value when we traded him. Hall for Larsson was awful. Hall for Subban was never on the table, Subban was, but the rumors were Hall and Draisaitl+ Bad deal there.
Rumours were Oilers offered Hall...but Montreal countered with Draisaitl + Klefbom + 4OA..Oilers declined and rightfully so IMO.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
So would you not consider a player like David Pastrnak or Blake Wheeler for example elite? Would you not consider a player like Mark Scheifele or Auston Matthews or Jack Eichel elite? All of those guys are not top 3 at their current position but to me, those guys are elite players.. Think you're being too critical with the elite status here..
They are all very good players but no they are not elite, they could one day become elite but as for this moment no there are not elite.

Look up the definition of elite then you will be able to use the word in correct context

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto

Eberle had good value, it’s your GM’s incompetency to trade him while his value was low. Eberle can still be a good 30-30 winger and those guys are still pretty good assets. Strome is a 3rd line C who will never even come close to living up to the hype of a 5th overall pick. Just an absolutely abysmal trade when considering asset value. Maybe it wasn’t on the table I just said that as a suggestion to what would have been a good trade considering those two at the time had a ton of trade speculation around them.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
While i agree, as a Leafs fan, this statement kind of bothers me. When we Leafs fans are on this site proposing for defense, the asking price is always astronomical....and backed up by the old Larsson/Hall standard. Now here we are talking about a 27 year old 40-50 point Dman for a 25 year old 45-55 point center and we are being told the value leans heavily towards the forward?

You are making an example by offering up only the offensive numbers, which is the only way these players values appear to be close though.

Hockey, as you well know, is about a lot more than just scoring points, and when you factor in the huge part of the game you are ignoring in order to make your point, things change.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a solid two-way center who does a very good job without the puck and makes smart plays in both his positioning and his commitment to a 200 foot game.

Gardiner, at best, is erratic defensively and in his decision making and his decision making is problematic and leads him into all kinds of trouble.

Unquestionably a young, solid two-way center has more value then a one dimensional defensemen.

Reactions: spaghtti

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
we could use a 3C

Absolutely, but not a six million third line center. And realistically, Nugent-Hopkins isn't a third line center, he's a second line center playing behind two excellent pivots in McDavid and Draisaitl.

Skill-wise, he'd be a great addition to the Maple Leafs and give them exceptional depth up the middle, but the Leafs don't have the luxury of spending $6 million for their third line centre.

Reactions: TFHockey

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Absolutely, but not a six million third line center. And realistically, Nugent-Hopkins isn't a third line center, he's a second line center playing behind two excellent pivots in McDavid and Draisaitl.

Skill-wise, he'd be a great addition to the Maple Leafs and give them exceptional depth up the middle, but the Leafs don't have the luxury of spending $6 million for their third line centre.
That's true but I'd rather have rnh than Gardner

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Fair. I guess if there was a player to get him there itd be McJesus. And I agree he’s worth much more than Gardiner. I just don’t know if after 7 years in the league he’s gonna suddenly put up 80 points even with Connor

While that may be true the current cap hit verses production would place RNH needing to hit 60 points as a top 6 option based on the current 1 million per 10 points we seem to be treading towards as a base model.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Eberle had good value, it’s your GM’s incompetency to trade him while his value was low. Eberle can still be a good 30-30 winger and those guys are still pretty good assets. Strome is a 3rd line C who will never even come close to living up to the hype of a 5th overall pick. Just an absolutely abysmal trade when considering asset value. Maybe it wasn’t on the table I just said that as a suggestion to what would have been a good trade considering those two at the time had a ton of trade speculation around them.
Eberle didn't have good value at all at the time of the trade. He may have a few years ago, but that slipped over time and it is obvious that the team wanted to try to rehabilitate his value before trading him - which failed miserably. Eberle was coming off of 3 years of decline, where he was asked to improve his two way game (and really didn't), and was a tremendous liability in the playoffs. Should we have kept him for a year? Maybe he could have played his value back up, but history shows that this probably wasn't the case, and he wanted out anyway, he has openly stated that he asked for a trade. The difference between the two players for us, is that Eberle was never going to rebound and be a 30-30 player here again. He had given up, and he was a 6 million dollar suck hole. Strome, on the other hand, doesn't have Eberle's upside, but he is a 3C being paid like a 3C, as opposed to a useless player being paid like a 1W, which Eberle was. Eberle had no value at the time of the trade. If you think he did, perhaps you should revisit the discussions about Eberle from a year ago. Nobody wanted him. The teams interested were rumored to be offering complete cap dumps in return. Because he had no value.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
MacT was scouting the Marlies game a few days ago so there could be something going on between the Oilers and Leafs. i would guess they were at least scouting Andreas Johnsson?

Toronto and Edmonton don't make especially good trade partners imo. While we have an abundance of speedy forwards that I'm sure Edmonton could have interest in, unless we're trading them for picks, which I doubt, I don't see the fit. Our only major need is on defense and Edmonton isn't exactly flush with quality defenders.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

While I'm not for trading for RNH, I actually have to disagree here a bit, because RNH doesn't have to be the #3 guy. Kadri has a very manageable 4.5 mil contract, and in this scenario could quite easily anchor our third line instead of our second. 10.5 million between your 2nd & 3rd line centers is actually reasonably workable imo.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Toronto and Edmonton don't make especially good trade partners imo. While we have an abundance of speedy forwards that I'm sure Edmonton could have interest in, unless we're trading them for picks, which I doubt, I don't see the fit. Our only major need is on defense and Edmonton isn't exactly flush with quality defenders.

Ask us again next year. If Klefbom and Sekera rebound and guys like Jones, Bear, and Lagesson show they’re NHL ready, then maybe we have a guy to move. Until then - nope.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Even less as an Oiler (I assume you're adding his WC games to this number because he only played 13 or 14 on the Oilers on McDavid's line). Regardless, who cares what people want to say about him. We know he's a more than capable top 6 centre if we need him to be, and if he sees a jump in his production to that of a 30 goal 65-70 point guy on McDavid's wing then thats exactly what we need. Who cares if HF wants to say "lol McDavid". We've already seen two players in Eberle and Lucic who produced less than their career norm while on McDavid's wing. Not everyone knows how to play off McDavid.

Yes I was including the world championships. And I totally agree. A lot of people say Draisaitl is nothing because most of his points have come with McDavid but in reality it's because he's really the only one (outside of RNH and Maroon when we had him) who can actually play and produce with Connor and think on the same level.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Tbh I don’t see how this trade helps either team.

Can the Leafs afford to pay their 3C 6 million per year after their big three all get huge raises? Nope

Is Gardiner the type of D that helps the Oilers solidify their D zone? Nope

Call it a day guys, end thread.

Reactions: spaghtti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad