Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TOR] Oilers Acquire Brad Ross & 107th For Martin Marincin

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I always liked Marincin and had high hopes, but I understand why this move was made.

I'm guessing this was Chiarelli's "plan B" after failing to get McQuiad.

I have never liked Gryba but he's the type of player we need, Marincin was very soft and didn't compete hard enough. I also think there might have been some other stuff going on behind the scenes with him coming into to camp out of shape and being sent down to the AHL while we used Brad Hunt & co... he was also scratched in the AHL playoffs.

Brad Ross is a waste of a contract spot.

Brad Ross signed in Germany so he doesn't take up a contract spot

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Good to see. Marincin looked amazing here for a time but ended the year as a healthy scratch in the AHL. Like Stauffer said he had no value around the league. Now we have a big tough 3rd pairing guy.

Chiarelli said we are going to get harder to play against. So far he's following through on that. Hopefully we continue this trend into July 1st.

Imagine if we got Downie, Glencross, and one or two good D.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Marincin was over-valued on this forum.

Marincin was an NHL player. Oilers had the worst defence in the NHL prior to this draft.

The Oilers inexplicably just got rid of an NHL quality dman and got nothing in return.

Defence is now worse because of it. They are going in the wrong direction.
I said that Marinicin was gone the minute they acquired Griffin Reinhart.

Unfortunately that turned out to be true. I didnt think it was possible but Chiarelli has made this defence worse.

He better have a few jokers up his sleeve.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I wasn't ready to give up on Marincin, but like the fact we're bringing in Gryba. If that's what it takes to do it, fine.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Marincin was an NHL player. Oilers had the worst defence in the NHL prior to this draft.

The Oilers inexplicably just got rid of an NHL quality dman and got nothing in return.

Gryba isn't NHL quality?

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location

The same Marincin that couldnt even play in the AHL playoffs is a NHL player?

Head scratcher

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I was actually really big on Ross back during the 2010 draft. He had just put up basically a point-per-game numbers with Portland (only one point behind Johansen on the same team who got drafted 4th overall) along with 200 PIMs and he seemed like he could develop into a great agitator. Unfortunately, his offence doesn't seem like it has translated to the pro game so I'm guessing he'll spend some time in Europe and we'll never really see him.

Gryba is an interesting acquisition. Ottawa posters seem split (there is a large group that a have a huge hate on for him because he had a key turnover in an OT playoff game but another group sees him as a good gritty bottom pairing guy) and it's clear we're getting a #6 at best guy. I'm fine with that but it means we need to do something with Nikitin and/or Ference if we actually expect Reinhart to play this next year. Likewise, we need to bring in a legit top 4 defender (Sekera please) or it could be ugly next year.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
This board can be a better watch than Big Brother or some other impulse-driven, reactionary drivel of such ilk. Chia has not added the likes of Burns. But anyone than thinks that our weak blueline isn't better now with the additions of Gryba and Reinhart - imo - just likes to complain.

Marincin's been a pawn for a deal for ages, and while you can never have too many prospects (ie: picks in a deep draft), we need bodies to play now. And I presume Chia's still tinkering...

Seems to me the board needs one big sedative. Too early for beer, but time to lift the tongue.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Head scratcher

Ryan Johansen was scratched in the AHL playoffs prior to breaking out. Marincin was also injured according to some reports. This is a guy who looked good for solid stretches against tough matchups, i think giving him away is a head scratcher. Gryba hopefully turns out to be a good player for us. I don't think he's what we really need.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Gryba isn't NHL quality?

Didnt say that but seeing as you are making this comparison...Marincin is likely going to be a better player than Gryba. Gryba cant sake...cant move the puck either.

I am suggesting that the Oilers gave away Marincin for nothing which is exactly what happened.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Head scratcher

The same Marinicin that faltered under Eakins.
Not really sure why that would be a head scratcher.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Its a head scratcher cuz he still was scratched in AHL playoffs for players like Musil who probably wont be a NHL player.

So that defines him as a player? It wipes out any NHL success he had previously?

What nonsense.

Yes his confidence was shot and it affected his play. Are you suggesting otherwise?

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Is that a no?

Big surprise there.

You picked that up did you? Good for you.

I fully acknowledge Reinhart will play more games the next 2 years. I also think he is the better prospect for what its worth but the difference certainly isn't a 1st + 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad