Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TOR] Oilers Acquire Brad Ross & 107th For Martin Marincin

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
We moved Marincin because we would lose him to waivers in camp.

He is currently. ...
5th on our left d depth chart.

Rather get something then give up nothing.

This was an awful deal but he was going to move at some point, so at least from an asset management perspective, getting Gryba softens the blow.

This actually made me feel a bit better. Still leaves a sour taste in my mouth though.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I always liked Marincin and had high hopes, but I understand why this move was made.

I'm guessing this was Chiarelli's "plan B" after failing to get McQuiad.

I have never liked Gryba but he's the type of player we need, Marincin was very soft and didn't compete hard enough. I also think there might have been some other stuff going on behind the scenes with him coming into to camp out of shape and being sent down to the AHL while we used Brad Hunt & co... he was also scratched in the AHL playoffs.

Brad Ross is a waste of a contract spot.

Brad Ross's contract ends July 1st. Travis Ewanyk's runs through the end of next season.

Deal was basically Marincin for Gryba, and the swallowing of a year of Ewaynk's contract.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I'm, starting to wonder how many actually watched the Barons in the playoffs.

It's not a conspiracy theory, Marty just wasn't very good. When he wasn't a healthy scratch in the AHL playoffs he was struggling.

He hasn't really shown any improvement in the strength department and hasn't really shown he can play with enough physical presence to defend.

I actually think he still has a shot, but it's only if his offense starts to translate. If he ends up a 40pt d-man, then the other issues may not be as big of a concern.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
GUYS! I'm so excited that Bob Ross is an Oiler!!

ZvIySlh.png

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The difference is that MacT allowed himself into that position weeks before Petry was becoming a UFA.

PC avoided the situation completely by addressing a full year before it happened!

No, your just playing with whatever you can. MacT could have kept Petry until UFA and poeple could have said the same thing. A smart GM would have traded him at the deadline for anything and at least got something. You could also say Chia was dumb waiting this long to deal him, at the draft. Or he could have let him play part of the year and traded him when others saw he was a good d man. One way or the other your just trying to bash MacT, however, as I said I don't actually don't disagree with the rest of your post.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
So bad Ross is a career AHLer.

His AHL career is probably over. Not sure why he was even involved in this trade.

He's an RFA, was suspended for 20 games for PED's, and signed a contract with the Roosters in the DEL with a player option for a 2nd season. Don't see why you guys would have wanted him cause the Leafs probably would have not even qualified him.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Don't know if it's been said yet, but I don't think the Oilers will qualify Brad Ross, think it was simply to clear up a roster spot on the 50 man.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
I've always liked Marincin's fundamentals, but it's a shame that he didn't develop more physically. Still feel that he has a good chance of becoming an every day NHLer, and it was probably in his best interest that he got a fresh start in another organization.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I've always liked Marincin's fundamentals, but it's a shame that he didn't develop more physically. Still feel that he has a good chance of becoming an every day NHLer, and it was probably in his best interest that he got a fresh start in another organization.

I completely agree. Marincin still has the potential and I'm not gonna write off a dman in his early 20's, but there's just no room for him here after the Reinhart trade. He's not longer waiver exempt and he hasn't been good enough the last year to play in the NHL as a regular. Sure he looked good for a while alongside Petry (who was a whipping boy to many, funny that he turned into a solid 3/4 in MTL because oh yeah many people didn't realize how well he carried his pairings here). Do I like to give up Marincin? Obviously not, the guy had all the tool in the world to become a solid 3-4 dman, but he just never put it together and really didn't use his physical attributes in the manner he was asked to. He may very well still become that dman down the road, but its either keep him in a press box position, trade him for what you can get, or lose him on waivers. We chose the second, maybe we could have chosen the first, but he hasn't shown anything since that one good season to suggest he is even capable of being a NHL dman.

Way too much attachment to this player from a lot of fans. This is coming from someone who had high hopes for Marincin as a top 4 dman, but you can just keep waiting on a guy who to this point doesn't seem willing to buy into what he needs to do to become an NHL regular. We cut our losses and it is what it is. Chances are he would have been on waivers by Christmas next year and gone for nothing. Thats the way it goes with the waivers rules. Of course I would love to have kept Marty around and prayed he figured it out, but it wasn't realistic and we got what we could for him. Move on, theres plenty of D in free agency that will have more impact short term, and likely long term than Marincin.

Also, just to be clear I hope Marty figures it out in Toronto. I liked him as a prospect, but he simply did not do enough for us to keep him. I don't see him ever being able to take on the physical role he was expected to, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I had no problem moving him out, I'm not crazy on the value, but at the same time, Gryba as a 5/6 makes us better than Marincin as a 6/7. We need more strength on the back end.

Marincin was always going to be stuck behind Klefbom and Nurse on the depth chart, and I'm honestly not sure if he will ever put it all together to be more than a 3rd pairing guy anyway...

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
Smart pickup by Toronto.

Oilers replaced him with a worse defender, Gryba.
It's like we're collecting bottom pairing guys.

MM had really tough zone starts and defensive assignments basically the entire time he played with the Oilers, and still did decently.

Oilers gonna Oilers though.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Smart pickup by Toronto.

Oilers replaced him with a worse defender, Gryba.
It's like we're collecting bottom pairing guys.

MM had really tough zone starts and defensive assignments basically the entire time he played with the Oilers, and still did decently.

Oilers gonna Oilers though.

Not to mention character assassination from the Oilers brass. Why did any of his physical conditioning have to be leaked to the press? MacT seriously made it his job to try and ruin the kid's chances.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
No, your just playing with whatever you can. MacT could have kept Petry until UFA and poeple could have said the same thing. A smart GM would have traded him at the deadline for anything and at least got something. You could also say Chia was dumb waiting this long to deal him, at the draft. Or he could have let him play part of the year and traded him when others saw he was a good d man. One way or the other your just trying to bash MacT, however, as I said I don't actually don't disagree with the rest of your post.

I am actually of the opinion that MacT wasn't a bad GM (aside from Eakins). His trade for Perron was phenomenal, and he did make a few good moves. Petry, however, was poorly managed.

Petry was one year from UFA at the start of the season... it should be either trade him or sign him - not wait until the very end and get scraps for a very decent D-man!

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
i dont get the physical condition thing. he looked in good shape at camp. were they complaining because he doesnt use roids in the off season to bulk? poor choice by him not too...since its like injecting money into your blood at that level.
the real reason Marincin didnt make it was Hunts shot was the wild card and we needed something on our pp point to keep pks honest.
its amazing watching hunt be such a monster in the AHL and then see his complete and utter failures in the NHL.

personally that was poor asset management by the Oilers to trade him like that. I am surprised the Bruins wouldnt want Marincin. meh. I am horrified, as a secondary Bruins fan, at the dismantling happening there.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Just saw this on the Toronto board by some Slovakian poster who joined in 2010 but only has 30 posts:

Just a quick chime in, since I've been following Martin for a while and kind of know his family/friends:

Martin is a really (and by really I mean EXTREMELY :laugh: - boyscout-like) hardworking, humble and polite guy, who was really bummed in Edmonton. Felt like he was mistreated and fed bullcrap by the management and it messed with his head big time, basically he wanted to get out of EDM as fast as possible.

He needs to fill up the big frame of his, learn to play more physical and mature a bit. On the other hand his skating, mitts and IQ are already on NHL level and he was one of the best defenders Slovakia had on the WC a year ago, playing mostly top minutes.

Definitely has top4 upside if you'll be patient and letting him ease in in a 5/6 role.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Goodness, just heard about this trade right now. This blew me away!

Bad trade.

Terrible trade and it doesnt make a lick of sense. Marincin was obviously on his way out the door as of last season.

Another brilliant move orchestrated by MacT...who knows why he didnt like this player.

One thing is for sure Marinicn was trending just fine playing top 4 minutes back in 2013/14 when he played 44 NHL games.

After that the MacT and Eakins show got on him and his confidence was beaten up to the point where he was thrown on the trash heap.

MacT did almost the same thing to Petry. No wonder this defence is such a joke.
Now we have to sit around and watch MacT whisper his BS into Chiarellis ear.

I have a question...why is MacT still here?

kickaction

Dec 4, 2014
Terrible trade and it doesnt make a lick of sense. Marincin was obviously on his way out the door as of last season.

Another brilliant move orchestrated by MacT...who knows why he didnt like this player.

One thing is for sure Marinicn was trending just fine playing top 4 minutes back in 2013/14 when he played 44 NHL games.

After that the MacT and Eakins show got on him and his confidence was beaten up to the point where he was thrown on the trash heap.

MacT did almost the same thing to Petry. No wonder this defence is such a joke.
Now we have to sit around and watch MacT whisper his BS into Chiarellis ear.

I have a question...why is MacT still here?

Do you think Marincin would have cracked the lineup next year?

Because if not, this was absolutely necessary. He was waiver fodder, and he would have been picked up anyways with no return.

I think we are severely overvaluing him right now. He was sat in games 6 and 7 in the AHL playoffs. Let that sink in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad