Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TOR] Oilers Acquire Brad Ross & 107th For Martin Marincin

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yeh, he showed promise, but for whatever reason did not take a step forward this year and in many ways regressed. With Klefbom, Nurse and now Reinhart in the system, there are only so many young d-men you can break into the league at the same time. Good luck to MM. Hope he carves out a career for himself.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Do you think Marincin would have cracked the lineup next year?

Because if not, this was absolutely necessary. He was waiver fodder, and he would have been picked up anyways with no return.

I think we are severely overvaluing him right now. He was sat in games 6 and 7 in the AHL playoffs. Let that sink in.

Regression happens. Development seldom happens in a straight line especially when you have MacT and Eakins steering the ship.
Marincin wasnt the only player affected by the Eakins/MacT dynamic duo...let that reality sink in.

The bottom line is there was no reason for this to happen. They mismanaged Marincin only to have the waiver excuse bail them out.
2 years ago Marinicn was on the verge of being a top 4 dman which is exactly what he will be in Toronto.

This is another example of a mismanaged asset. The really unfortunate thing is that this team keep doing this with defencemen...little wonder the defence has been bad for so long now.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Smart pickup by Toronto.

Oilers replaced him with a worse defender, Gryba.
It's like we're collecting bottom pairing guys.

MM had really tough zone starts and defensive assignments basically the entire time he played with the Oilers, and still did decently.

Oilers gonna Oilers though.

Gryba is not worse just a different kind of Dman... On par with McQuaid... Unlike Marincin a legit NHLer # 6 Dman... marincin has potential to be top4 but is not what Chia wants..

Terrible trade and it doesnt make a lick of sense. Marincin was obviously on his way out the door as of last season.

Another brilliant move orchestrated by MacT...who knows why he didnt like this player.

One thing is for sure Marinicn was trending just fine playing top 4 minutes back in 2013/14 when he played 44 NHL games.

After that the MacT and Eakins show got on him and his confidence was beaten up to the point where he was thrown on the trash heap.

MacT did almost the same thing to Petry. No wonder this defence is such a joke.
Now we have to sit around and watch MacT whisper his BS into Chiarellis ear.

I have a question...why is MacT still here?

So Marincin was obviously out but u still think it was a bad deal? Not sure what MacT or Petry have to do with this deal but Petry sucked with Oilers ...was completely overmatched most nights... He moved out east played sheltered minutes and revived himself... Schultz IMO if moved out east would be as good if not better than Petry..

Gryba for Marincin was a win for Oilers

kickaction

Dec 4, 2014
Regression happens. Development seldom happens in a straight line especially when you have MacT and Eakins steering the ship.
Marincin wasnt the only player affected by the Eakins/MacT dynamic duo...let that reality sink in.

The bottom line is there was no reason for this to happen. They mismanaged Marincin only to have the waiver excuse bail them out.
2 years ago Marinicn was on the verge of being a top 4 dman which is exactly what he will be in Toronto.

This is another example of a mismanaged asset. The really unfortunate thing is that this team keep doing this with defencemen...little wonder the defence has been bad for so long now.

You think Marincin will be a top4 dman in Toronto? He took many nights off, and played with low intensity. Maybe a change of scenery will help him, but he was not reviving his career here. Development may seldom work in a straight line, but the amount he regressed was quite alarming. Also to note, he had his good year UNDER Eakins. He was surpassed by Klefbom, and management clearly thinks he was made expendable as well with the acquisition of Reinhart.

I guess we can part ways here.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Do you think Marincin would have cracked the lineup next year?

Because if not, this was absolutely necessary. He was waiver fodder, and he would have been picked up anyways with no return.

I think we are severely overvaluing him right now. He was sat in games 6 and 7 in the AHL playoffs. Let that sink in.

Marincin was considered a blue chip prospect and drafted 44th OA.

Climbed the ladder and was declared by Todd Nelson on two separate occasions to be too good for the AHL.

Worked his way into the top four of his Olympic team.

Helped Petry when He was struggling and the two of them made a impressive shut down pairing.

Last year was not quite as good as he was the year before but had extremely impressive games against some of the best teams/players in the league.

Has 80 something games under his belt most of which he was facing top pairing competition.

Was only -4 in forty some games this year. Very impressive on this team no matter how much you hate that stat.

Is only 23.

And if you watched or listened to the AHL games leading to his absence was playing well.
Had 8 shots on net in his second last game.

The only report on why Marincin was not in the lineup was because he was both sick and battling injuries.

I personally think he was extremely upset about being bumped down the line up for Hunt and maybe even Klefbom who had a weak camp and start to the year. Was not allowed to play for his country in the WC.

I think he was just mismanaged and no longer wanted to play for this organization.

Wish him the best but it may well be he gets blacklisted and buried due to a perceived attitude/compete problem. Toronto is deep on the left side and barring a trade may not give him a spot.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So Marincin was obviously out but u still think it was a bad deal? Not sure what MacT or Petry have to do with this deal but Petry sucked with Oilers ...was completely overmatched most nights... He moved out east played sheltered minutes and revived himself... Schultz IMO if moved out east would be as good if not better than Petry..

Gryba for Marincin was a win for Oilers

Anytime you deal an NHL dman for magic beans then yes its a bad deal. Petry was brought up because (like Marincin) he is another example of how this team wastes assets.

You claim that Petry was 'over-matched' most nights and that he was sheltered in Montreal. Lets take a deeper look at this....

The biggest problem the Oilers defence has had over the past few years is the lack of depth. That forces them to have to play players like Petry in situations they cant sustain. Petry is a solid 3/4 dman...but due to the Oilers lack of depth they had to play Petry as a 1/2 dman. Then he predictably struggles and fans like yourself point to the player and say he is junk.

The reality is that the player was fine...he was just being wrongly utilized. Montreal then gets him and properly uses him as a 3/4 dman.
You wrongly think this is a validation of Petrys uselessness when in reality it is a validation of how useless Oilers Management is.

You are looking in the wrong place to cast blame. If Schultz was moved out East and used as a bottom pairing dman instead of a top 4 dman (in some cases a #1 dman) he would do much better. Once again an indictment of Oilers management.

As for Gryba...the Oilers didnt need to trade Marincin to get Gryba. That was a choice they made. there were other picks they could have used to get Gryba.

One has nothing to do with the other.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A "blue chip prospect". Now I've heard everything.

Nurse is a blue chip prospect. Marincin is just a prospect. Making the Olympics really doesn't say much when apart from Chara you probably couldn't name all of the other defenders on that Czech team without looking.

People don't seem to realize that perception around the NHL is different than how hometown fans see things. To us Marincin is a "top 4 NHL defender". To other, better teams around the league, he's probably a 6/7/8 guy. I watched the guy after Petry was traded and he just couldn't keep up, even under Nelson. People can say that Eakins ruined him, but didn't he play his best under Eakins while paired with Petry?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You think Marincin will be a top4 dman in Toronto? He took many nights off, and played with low intensity. Maybe a change of scenery will help him, but he was not reviving his career here. Development may seldom work in a straight line, but the amount he regressed was quite alarming. Also to note, he had his good year UNDER Eakins. He was surpassed by Klefbom, and management clearly thinks he was made expendable as well with the acquisition of Reinhart.

I guess we can part ways here.

Aerchon succinctly broke down the Marincin reality.

I was off in thinking there was a spot for him on the left side in TO. That aside my point was that I think Marincin has top 4 potential...no doubt in my mind based on what he did with the Oilers org.
He just needs the right opportunity and he is further along than Reinhart.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Aerchon succinctly broke down the Marincin reality.

I was off in thinking there was a spot for him on the left side in TO. That aside my point was that I think Marincin has top 4 potential...no doubt in my mind based on what he did with the Oilers org.
He just needs the right opportunity and he is further along than Reinhart.

I'm not sure what you base this on other than games played, which in our case isn't a very good measuring stick as most of those games were losses.

kickaction

Dec 4, 2014
Marincin was considered a blue chip prospect and drafted 44th OA.

Climbed the ladder and was declared by Todd Nelson on two separate occasions to be too good for the AHL.

Worked his way into the top four of his Olympic team.

Helped Petry when He was struggling and the two of them made a impressive shut down pairing.

Last year was not quite as good as he was the year before but had extremely impressive games against some of the best teams/players in the league.

Has 80 something games under his belt most of which he was facing top pairing competition.

Was only -4 in forty some games this year. Very impressive on this team no matter how much you hate that stat.

Is only 23.

And if you watched or listened to the AHL games leading to his absence was playing well.
Had 8 shots on net in his second last game.

Blue chip prospect? Is this on our own accord or by other organizations?

Being too good for the NHL and being a top 4 defenseman in the NHL are two completely different things.

Name me the defensemen on the Slovakia olympic team. And how well did they do again?

And yet he seemingly floundered when he wasn't with Petry anymore.

He was nowhere near as good last year as the year previous, and a couple good games doesn't change that.

80 games, great. The last half of those were regression.

As for the injuries/health problems, I won't comment on that as I'm not too sure so I won't use that argument of game 6 and 7.

And if he's upset over Klefbom, well, that decision ended up paying dividends for our team so sorry for hurting his feelings.

IMO, he had his one good year, and then regressed. Management thought with the acquisition of Reinhart and Gryba, this made him expendable and they didn't want to take another chance on Marincin regressing again. Was that the right choice? I guess we'll see. But there wasn't much room for him and he isn't held in high regard around the league.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
http://oilersnation.com/2015/6/27/oilers-trade-martin-marincin-then-acquire-eric-gryba

From the link above:

Speaking with scouts at the draft, Marincin's value around the league was much lower than it was amongst some in Edmonton. Pretty much every scout echoed my thoughts on him. He has NHL skill and smarts, but has shown a lack of competitive desire in games. Three scouts who watched AHL playoffs were disappointed he didn't dominate at the AHL level. They all said teams would still take a chance on him, because of his skill, but his trade value is low.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
http://oilersnation.com/2015/6/27/oilers-trade-martin-marincin-then-acquire-eric-gryba

From the link above:

Speaking with scouts at the draft, Marincin's value around the league was much lower than it was amongst some in Edmonton. Pretty much every scout echoed my thoughts on him. He has NHL skill and smarts, but has shown a lack of competitive desire in games. Three scouts who watched AHL playoffs were disappointed he didn't dominate at the AHL level. They all said teams would still take a chance on him, because of his skill, but his trade value is low.

Then you don't trade him. Especially when we have a competent group of coaching coming in. We've seen what he can do when he's playing well, so why not try and recreate that under McLellan.

I don't get why Yakupov gets a pass under the Eakins effect but Marincin doesn't.

kickaction

Dec 4, 2014
Then you don't trade him. Especially when we have a competent group of coaching coming in. We've seen what he can do when he's playing well, so why not try and recreate that under McLellan.

I don't get why Yakupov gets a pass under the Eakins effect but Marincin doesn't.

Well actually Marincin played his best hockey in Eakins' first year.

Our depth chart next year:

XXX - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference - Gryba
Reinhart (I know I'm going to get a ton of flack for this)

Marincin was the odd main out with the acquisition of Reinhart, and they probably wanted some return, rather than losing him on waivers.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Well actually Marincin played his best hockey in Eakins' first year.

Our depth chart next year:

XXX - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference - Gryba
Reinhart (I know I'm going to get a ton of flack for this)

Marincin was the odd main out with the acquisition of Reinhart, and they probably wanted some return, rather than losing him on waivers.

Hall scored 80 points in Eakins' first year as well. I wouldn't say he played his best hockey under Eakins. Considering the loose system he had, and general lack of care for anything hockey related, Petry and Marincin were basically on their own to play hockey out there. A "successful" campaign, which had a lot to do with his development through the AHL.

During that off-season, MacT and Eakins have him on a diet and similar regiments. He's publicly outed for not being in as good as shape as the previous season, which didn't need to be leaked and his confidence was shot. You could see it.

I can't remember where the article is, but under Eakins in that second season, he was given harsh assignments constantly and to my eye, improvement steadily with the rest of the team under Nelson.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Because Yak has the potential to develop into a good trading asset.

MM is a defensive defenceman who was struggling on the boards, in the corners, and in front of the net.

Marincin was one of our better trading chips before Eakins went full ****** in his second season. I don't get this rationale whatsoever.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
What exactly changed between seasons 1 and 2?

Slightly harder assignments and what not, but I imagine the constant haranguing by both idiot coach and idiot GM along with the unhealthy weight gain in the off-season (that Eakins in one of his earlier press conferences alluded to prescribing, yet MacT came out and put down Marincin without cause) didn't help.

He didn't look like the same player in his second season with the Oilers, with or without Petry. If you want to subscribe to the idea of, "nah, he just sucked all of a sudden," then go for it. I don't believe that crap though.

I get that Chiarelli doesn't like this type of player, ie. ones without snarl, but he was a useful guy on the back end and having a coach like McLellan who puts skill first would have had a field day developing Marincin. What a waste.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Marincin is still better than rookie Petry and Petry came into the league at 23. That's MM age now. Put that into perspective. Still bummed we gave him away for nothing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Slightly harder assignments and what not, but I imagine the constant haranguing by both idiot coach and idiot GM along with the unhealthy weight gain in the off-season (that Eakins in one of his earlier press conferences alluded to prescribing, yet MacT came out and put down Marincin without cause) didn't help.

He didn't look like the same player in his second season with the Oilers, with or without Petry. If you want to subscribe to the idea of, "nah, he just sucked all of a sudden," then go for it. I don't believe that crap though.

I get that Chiarelli doesn't like this type of player, ie. ones without snarl, but he was a useful guy on the back end and having a coach like McLellan who puts skill first would have had a field day developing Marincin. What a waste.

Maybe they thought they could tear him down and build him back up or maybe that was their way of motivating the player.

Who knows. The result was a massive fail that cant fall just on the player.

Ultimately it ended up being nothing more than a serious mind **** for Marincin form those 2.

Quite honestly I am a little surprised at the excuses being made for MacT and Eakins in this case.

Must be unique to Marincin because I dont recall this happening for any other player.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
A "blue chip prospect". Now I've heard everything.

Nurse is a blue chip prospect. Marincin is just a prospect. Making the Olympics really doesn't say much when apart from Chara you probably couldn't name all of the other defenders on that Czech team without looking.

People don't seem to realize that perception around the NHL is different than how hometown fans see things. To us Marincin is a "top 4 NHL defender". To other, better teams around the league, he's probably a 6/7/8 guy. I watched the guy after Petry was traded and he just couldn't keep up, even under Nelson. People can say that Eakins ruined him, but didn't he play his best under Eakins while paired with Petry?

I use hockey's future primarily but pick up stuff here and there as well and Marincin was considered a blue chip prospect. As defensive prospects go there is very little difference between a 7th OA, 22, 44, or sometimes even into the third round depending on the draft year.

Take a look at the current elite Dmen's draft ranking and most are drafted outside the first round.

I find your argument about outside views particularly interesting. Marincin and Smid were held in high regard by other teams and Petry was not. Two years ago Petry would of fetched a late third at best. He was considered a weak defender with a serious lack of physical play...ironically enough.

Petry didnt figure it out until he was 27. I believe if given the opportunity Marincin will surpass Petry considerably.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Because Yak has the potential to develop into a good trading asset.

MM is a defensive defenceman who was struggling on the boards, in the corners, and in front of the net.

Pretty much.

Marincin was great defending the rush, but it looked like they were on the PK if the puck ever got behind him.

He's got a long way to go to contribute anything in the defensive or offensive zone.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Maybe they thought they could tear him down and build him back up or maybe that was their way of motivating the player.

Who knows. The result was a massive fail that cant fall just on the player.

Ultimately it ended up being nothing more than a serious mind **** for Marincin form those 2.

Quite honestly I am a little surprised at the excuses being made for MacT and Eakins in this case.

Must be unique to Marincin because I dont recall this happening for any other player.

They actually made him use a different length stick and put on as much weight as possible.

Both he did without complaint I believe.

Mac T had a man crush on Hunt from coaching him in the AHL. I agree with those saying they actually went into this last season with the intent to bury him in the AHL one more year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad