Confirmed Trade: [EDM/TOR] 2020 conditional 7th round pick for Nolan Vesey

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Makes sense for both sides. Oilers have room on the farm to give up a two year deal to see if Vesey can develop into anything as the cupboards have been fairly bare in the AHL. Leafs, on the other hand, have too many guys at the AHL level and Vesey wouldnt have anywhere to play so they get something for a player they'd likely already counted out.

Yup. Oilers forward prospects in the AHL are horribad. There's nothing in the minors except for Rattie and Brad Malone.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Leafs draft better players in the 6th and 7th rounds than they do in rounds 2-5

So uh thanks

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We weren't going to sign Vesey so it's basically a free 7th.

I guess the Oilers see something in Vesey. IDK, I don't really see it, but you never know I guess. The least valuable pick possible so you get to sign a player you like can't be a bad thing I guess.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We weren't going to sign Vesey so it's basically a free 7th.

I guess the Oilers see something in Vesey. IDK, I don't really see it, but you never know I guess. The least valuable pick possible so you get to sign a player you like can't be a bad thing I guess.

I think management at least sees a guy that can help at the AHL level and possibly be a bottom six guy one day.

The Oilers are adding all the 20-25 year old forwards they can find in the hopes they’ll stumble into a couple guys that can help the big club one day

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Watch him out of no where become an elite scoring winger and this thread looks hilarious.

It won't happen but still.

unlikely. leafs fans had decent hopes for the kid after a solid rookie season in Maine (23pts) but he just didnt take his game to the next level. needed a HUGE year this year for a chance to get signed but with 25pt in 37 games as a 23 year old...he just didnt.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Yup. Oilers forward prospects in the AHL are horribad. There's nothing in the minors except for Rattie and Brad Malone.

This year was horrible for Bakersfield in terms of forward depth, but they are going to be getting a lot of help next season. Kailer Yamamoto should be playing next season so it would a good idea to a have a competitive farm team down there/

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
Here you go Oilers fans!

2017 Leafs Top Prospects: #37 Nolan Vesey

Qualitatively, Vesey is a pretty uneventful player. He’s not particularly big or small, he’s a capable skater but not to the point of bragging rights, and talk of his two-way game seems to be closer to “not great or awful at anything”

So maybe he'll do something. Leafs wings are seriously crowded and I guess the ECHL isn't like an ELC.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think management at least sees a guy that can help at the AHL level and possibly be a bottom six guy one day.

The Oilers are adding all the 20-25 year old forwards they can find in the hopes they’ll stumble into a couple guys that can help the big club one day
Unrelated to the trade today but I have noticed the Oilers have been adding a ton of lower-end college and AHL guys. Any reason they aren't trying some of the higher end scoring guys from their ECHL team? Caught a few games on a business trip in Wichita earlier in the year and there were a few impressive players.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Unrelated to the trade today but I have noticed the Oilers have been adding a ton of lower-end college and AHL guys. Any reason they aren't trying some of the higher end scoring guys from their ECHL team? Caught a few games on a business trip in Wichita earlier in the year and there were a few impressive players.

My guess is because most of the guys that are impressive on the ECHL squad are 25-26 and probably max out as AHLers. That said there are a couple guys I think the organization is keeping an eye on - Chad Butcher and Lane Bauer. Both were former Oiler camp invites and Bauer played for the junior team here. They’re both relatively young still.

Reactions: uncleben

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
My guess is because most of the guys that are impressive on the ECHL squad are 25-26 and probably max out as AHLers. That said there are a couple guys I think the organization is keeping an eye on - Chad Butcher and Lane Bauer. Both were former Oiler camp invites and Bauer played for the junior team here. They’re both relatively young still.
No love for MacMillan or Cuddemi?

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Inb4 Nolan vesey becomes a 40goal scorer and leafs draft the next datsyuk with that 7th rd pick

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No love for MacMillan or Cuddemi?

I doubt much organizationally. They’re 25 and 26 and I think the Oilers are finally getting on board with this whole newfangled ‘AHL development’ thing we hear so much about. They definitely couldn’t hurt and we have like 15 contract spots available so maybe.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
A 2020 7th round draft pick has to be the leave valuable non negative asset there is.

Come that draft I won't even remember this trade ever happened.

You’re forgetting “future considerations” or “cash considerations”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad