Dec 15, 2015
Murray
Johnson
McCann

for

Neal at (5mill)
Klefbom
3rd 2020

Penguins get solid number four to play with Marino. They take on Neal who they are familiar with to get rid Johnson. I think Neal could help the Powerplay and provide some depth scoring. The cap help balances including both McCann and Johnson in the trade. They also pick up a pick to help balance the trade out.

Oilers move Neal and cap space while replacing him with a younger LW McCann. Then they upgrade their goal tending Murray. It sucks taking on Johnson but they have they save on cap in the end. They could also buy him out.

Who says no? How far off?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Essentially:

McCann+Murray for Klefbomb+3rd
Neal @3mil for Johnson

I'm not saying I hate it...but I'm not saying I love it. I would understand it and at least be content.

Klefbomb would be an interesting piece of Oilers were to somehow snag OEL.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You wouldn't do it as a Pens fan?

BTW Klefbom isn't a solid '4'. He's a #2 that plays #1 minutes out of necessity.

This is terrible for Edmonton.

That's right. The Pens don't need Neal, and I don't think they need another LHD either. Murray and McCann are good assets that we don't need to move to get rid of JJ.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
That's right. The Pens don't need Neal, and I don't think they need another LHD either. Murray and McCann are good assets that we don't need to move to get rid of JJ.

Klefbom is better than Petterson and Dumoulin. The primary purpose of this deal for the Pens isn't to get rid of J.J, but to add a #2 on a good contract.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Awful, for the Oilers. No way they trade Klefbom for Murray and McCann. Swapping Neal for Johnson is a positive due to cap space, but especially with the retention it doesn't make nearly a big enough difference to justify moving Klef.

cspera777

Jul 6, 2018
Klefbom is better than Petterson and Dumoulin. The primary purpose of this deal for the Pens isn't to get rid of J.J, but to add a #2 on a good contract.

Klefbom is not better than Dumolin...He would be a 3/4 on Pittsburgh

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Murray
Johnson
McCann

for

Neal at (5mill)
Klefbom
3rd 2020

Penguins get solid number four to play with Marino. They take on Neal who they are familiar with to get rid Johnson. I think Neal could help the Powerplay and provide some depth scoring. The cap help balances including both McCann and Johnson in the trade. They also pick up a pick to help balance the trade out.

Oilers move Neal and cap space while replacing him with a younger LW McCann. Then they upgrade their goal tending Murray. It sucks taking on Johnson but they have they save on cap in the end. They could also buy him out.

Who says no? How far off?
One of these things is not like the others. Klefbom is on one of the best contracts in the league. Oilers say no quite easily.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Klefbom hasn't acnhored his team to two cups getting the teams best players every night.

Dumoulin is better.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
You wouldn't do it as a Pens fan?

BTW Klefbom isn't a solid '4'. He's a #2 that plays #1 minutes out of necessity.

This is terrible for Edmonton.

I just heard talk of a rumor he would be moved or nurse to make room for a younger player. Would nurse be more likely to be moved?

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
I just heard talk of a rumor he would be moved or nurse to make room for a younger player. Would nurse be more likely to be moved?

I wouldn't move either unless we're getting a better defensemen in return. Nurse has 2 years left before UFA (I'm sure he'll resign, but that cap hit will be high).

The issue is that we have Klef, Nurse, and Jones (who can potentially step into a top-4 role this season), as well as Broberg and Samorukov coming up on the left side. Eventually we're going to have to clear that logjam, and trading Nurse might be the best way to do that.

(Changing Klef with Nurse wouldn't change my mind in the slightest, however).

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Ya the pens need a number 4 ideally but they also need to move Johnson. Trying to do both at once here.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Ya the pens need a number 4 ideally but they also need to move Johnson. Trying to do both at once here.

I see what you're trying to do, but I don't think you're considering the Oilers perspective. What do they have to gain from this?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I wouldn't move either unless we're getting a better defensemen in return. Nurse has 2 years left before UFA (I'm sure he'll resign, but that cap hit will be high).

The issue is that we have Klef, Nurse, and Jones (who can potentially step into a top-4 role this season), as well as Broberg and Samorukov coming up on the left side. Eventually we're going to have to clear that logjam, and trading Nurse might be the best way to do that.

Thats what I read which is why I thought there may be something between these teams. But it also requires the pens moving jj. Which is why Neal was coming back.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I see what you're trying to do, but I don't think you're considering the Oilers perspective. What do they have to gain from this?

The Oilers get Murray which they had already looked into. If he regains his form from a year ago though, then they have a starter set. They also move Neal and get a young, faster and cheaper player. And they give up form a strength to make room for one of their prospects.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Koskinen is just as good as Murray.

I like McCann, but definitely not at the cost of a #2.

Must have missed Koskinen having a career SV% of .909 and sub .900 in the playoff.

If you want to say Koskinen had a better year last year, feel free. Murray has proven much more and is at the age where goaltenders typically begin to hit their prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad