Proposal: Edm - Pit

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Koskinen is just as good as Murray.

I like McCann, but definitely not at the cost of a #2.

Koskinen is 6 years older and not as good as Murray. Even with his bad year last year, Murray has better career numbers across the board.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would the Oilers do it with Nurse instead?

I would assume not.

Your deal likely has Edmonton adding at least 5 mil in Murray, probably 3 in McCann, another 3.25 in worthless cap dump in Johnson, retaining 750K on Neal when we retained 750K on Lucic to get him, without adding much of anything of consequence that's guaranteed to be impactful - since we don't know what we're getting out of Murray anyway AND we're weakening our defence.

Could Murray bounce back - sure, but Koskinen is good enough right now. We need someone better than Smith to platoon with him but I wouldn't bet the acquisition cost or the probable salary that Murray is that guy.

We could just buy Neal out if we were that desperate to get rid of him and we wouldnt have to add Johnson to do it.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don’t think I’d do it and I like Klefbom a lot.

Trying to hide Neal would be miserable and his contract is just too long. Makes the team inflexible. Doesn’t fit the make up of how they want to play, or need to play in order to be successful.

That said I think it’s a poor deal for EDM too.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I would assume not.

Your deal likely has Edmonton adding at least 5 mil in Murray, probably 3 in McCann, another 3.25 in worthless cap dump in Johnson, retaining 750K on Neal when we retained 750K on Lucic to get him, without adding much of anything of consequence that's guaranteed to be impactful - since we don't know what we're getting out of Murray anyway AND we're weakening our defence.

Could Murray bounce back - sure, but Koskinen is good enough right now. We need someone better than Smith to platoon with him but I wouldn't bet the acquisition cost or the probable salary that Murray is that guy.

We could just buy Neal out if we were that desperate to get rid of him and we wouldnt have to add Johnson to do it.

That makes sense, I just thought there might be something between the two since Edmonton had a lot of projects coming up on d.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
That makes sense, I just thought there might be something between the two since Edmonton had a lot of projects coming up on d.

I get your reasoning and you're right that eventually we'll have to do something about our LHD, but it would be in a hockey trade rather than a quality for quantity kind of deal.

Reactions: Darren McCord

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Eventually, yeah, but we're hoping our team eventually learns what most of the good teams know - deal from the bottom of the deck, not the top. We need to move on from the Kris Russell's of the world, not deal the actual top 2/3/4 defencemen and replace them with Jack Johnson and rookies.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Eventually, yeah, but we're hoping our team eventually learns what most of the good teams know - deal from the bottom of the deck, not the top. We need to move on from the Kris Russell's of the world, not deal the actual top 2/3/4 defencemen and replace them with Jack Johnson and rookies.

Ya but someone has to make the dumb moves haha. I just wish it wasn't always our GM signing more bad 3rd pairing defense. Hunwick, Grubranson, Jack Johnsons :help:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ya but someone has to make the dumb moves haha. I just wish it wasn't always our GM signing more bad 3rd pairing defense. Hunwick, Grubranson, Jack Johnsons :help:

We traded Hall for Larsson, 16+33 for a guy that isn't even in north america anymore, turned Eberle into Strome into Spooner into Gagner, Caggiula for that racist piece of trash Manning, signed Lucic and Kris Russell to big fat deals that are still haunting us... we've had our share of dumb, man. More than our share.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Koskinen is just as good as Murray.

I like McCann, but definitely not at the cost of a #2.

Lol

More proof that this website can't evaluate goaltending for shit. A 32 year old journeyman who had 1 good year as a platoon goalie isn't better than a 26 year old starter with 2 cups and better career numbers that is coming off a bad season.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I dont think the Oilers should overpay for a goalie who has not provided starter quality goalering for 2 out of last 3 years. Potential is still there but not worth a good defenseman.
The Oilers already have a leftorium so absolutely no room for Johnson. Neal at least provides some net front presence on PP and is a winger

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The real question is why are the Oilers building the Pittsburgh defense? Try another team to fleece for a change.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Must have missed Koskinen having a career SV% of .909 and sub .900 in the playoff.

If you want to say Koskinen had a better year last year, feel free. Murray has proven much more and is at the age where goaltenders typically begin to hit their prime.

Koskinen is 6 years older and not as good as Murray. Even with his bad year last year, Murray has better career numbers across the board.

Except Koskinen's numbers have been getting better while Murray's have been getting worse. Murray's no more than a 1A/1B goalie in Edmonton, splitting time with Koskinen. At worst, he's a backup. No way Edmonton moves their best D for a 41 game goalie at best. They don't need to move Neal that badly.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't blame Oilers fans for saying no to trading Klefbom in this deal, because it's asinine to trade him for a goalie, a middle-6 LWer and a swap of bad contracts, but can we please stop acting like Murray sucks here? Is this website so narrow sighted that they're incapable of evaluating hockey beyond looking at HockeyDB for their last season?

Claiming Koskinen is better than Murray is downright laughable. It's holding up a sign of "I have no clue how to evaluate goaltending". The Oilers shouldn't trade for Murray because it makes more sense for them to go for a 1A like Kuemper to platoon with Koskinen over trading for a starter to push Koskinen to the backup, but we don't need to be spewing nonsense about Murray in here. He's a 26 year old starting goalie that has 2 cups and good career numbers that had a bad year last year.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Except Koskinen's numbers have been getting better while Murray's have been getting worse. Murray's no more than a 1A/1B goalie in Edmonton, splitting time with Koskinen. At worst, he's a backup. No way Edmonton moves their best D for a 41 game goalie at best. They don't need to move Neal that badly.

Murray’s numbers have not been “getting worse” he just was 11th in the league in SV% a season ago.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
We don’t want Neal back and EDM doesn’t want JJ. No dice. Something around McCann and Larsson?

Im betting Murray goes to the Avs for their 1st (26th or 27th I think?)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Murray’s numbers have not been “getting worse” he just was 11th in the league in SV% a season ago.

8th among goalies that played at least 41 games.

Yeah, this idea that Murray's been bad the last two seasons is so dumb. Is it really that difficult for people on here to pull up HockeyDB.com or Hockey-reference.com? Like, are those sites blocked or restricted where those folks live?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
No thanks. As good as it would be to get Klefbom and play him next to Letang or Marino it's not good to get rid of 1 shit contract in JJ only to recieve a worse one in Neal due to a higher cap hit. Plus Lemieux hates Neal so he wont even accept this trade.

Borgir

Jan 16, 2010
dEdmonton Alberta
I don't want Murray going to Edmonton and doing well. Let the Oilers keep collecting high picks and continue floundering for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad