Confirmed with Link: [EDM/PIT] Perron to Pens for 1st Rounder 2015 and Rob Klinkhammer: Part 2

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Meh, I like Klinkhammer. Not afraid to go in and hit someone with authority and we save some cap space, we needed that.

I really liked Perron but I also like what we have now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No GMs are going to want to trade for our players anymore. They carry massive curses with them wherever they go. Penguins have lost a lot of games since acquiring Perron.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
No GMs are going to want to trade for our players anymore. They carry massive curses with them wherever they go. Penguins have lost a lot of games since acquiring Perron.

but Perron is scoring... maybe the penguins are losing because they have too many bottom 6 forwards in the top6, their defense isn't really that great and their goaltending is not consistent

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
but Perron is scoring... maybe the penguins are losing because they have too many bottom 6 forwards in the top6, their defense isn't really that great and their goaltending is not consistent

or maybe its the fact that even though Perron has almost a point per game on the Pens, that he is still a -3 because 5 on 5 the puck dies on his stick more times than not as I have pointed out countless times.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
None of us know the underlying story behind Perron's trade. He seemed to be discontent here which is understandable considering how the team was performing but how much of that translated into bad vibes around the team.

The media has been saying since last fall that he was the most tradable asset so from that standpoint it made sense. Getting back a 1st round pick in the deepest draft since 03 along with some sandpaper and grit isn't so bad.

As for his performance with the Pen's, I said it when he left : Look who he's playing with now

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Perron has been great, our games have all been close, and we're just going through a bit of a pre-break rut + dealing with injuries as usual.

Regardless, I think you guys did the right thing getting a first rounder for him.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
But heres the deal. The Oilers aren't hurting for cap. The Oilers ****ed over a diehard fan with this deal and I don't know anybody that wanted Perron gone. Instead of watching a highly skilled entertaining player were stuck with watching more dregs like Fraser and Klinkhamer. if I wanted to watch AHL hockey I would. The fanbase should be upset about moves like this. its the org saying we want to be worse. No reason to trade Perron for months. Draft day would be good.
This org should be doing everything possible to have this team be as palatable as possible. Seeing entertaining players at least serves the function of entertainment.

We can't have good things here. :(

I totally agree with this, well said. I actually think you're wrong on Klinkhammer not being a capable 4th liner, but you're right on it shouldn't even be a debate, Perron was more valuable to us here. If and when we turn it around, a guy like Perron would be a very valuable player to us, guys like Hendricks said it best when they talked about how hard he worked. We need more skilled, hard working veterans to help support our young stars, not less.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's obviously true that Perron is a better winger than the ones I mentioned, ie Pouliot, Purcell, Yakupov, and of course Klinkhammer as well. It's also true that the best teams concentrate skill, and so having 3 decent wingers is not as good as one great one.

So ultimately, I definitely agree that keeping Perron would have benefitted the team in the short term, and our team could use some short term help to build confidence. I'm definitely not someone who would say that trading Perron was worth it to help our draft position.

I'm just saying that if we were going to pull resources out of any position on the team, it was going to be on the wings. Trading Perron will save us a lot of cap space two seasons from now, cap space we can use to sign a player in position we don't have depth in. The winger depth we have doesn't fully replace Perron, but it limits the damage. We also preserve value by getting a 1st rounder, and the danger of Perron leaving for nothing was definitely there.

Disagree with the bolded. The hardest teams to play against feature lines and lineups you can't shutdown trhough matchups. Because wealth is spread out and NOT focused on just 1-2 lines.

This team has given up a lot of good offensive players for guys with gung ho attitudes that will run their heads through the boards to stay in the show if you ask them. The trouble is when you trade skill for persistence you also lose some ability to score in a tight checking league. its a trade off and not one that good teams make. Good teams gather skill players, teach them how to play within system, then support that lineup with the best role player help.

You do that way because its harder to find the skill players. When you get them you're supposed to retain them. Especially re a team that keeps telling us they're in a market where its hard to attract talent.

When we get the talent we give it away.. I'm being careful not to like Roy too much. Can only assume the team will deal him to some other club as a rental. For a pick. :shakehead

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Sad trade for Oil, now we got futures again for good, rare type of player. Even if we package the first for immediate help, it will be difficult to get equal value. Huge mistake, even if the pick turns into good young player, it's too far down the road considering the present needs. How many flipping years do we have to suck for ???

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Disagree with the bolded. The hardest teams to play against feature lines and lineups you can't shutdown trhough matchups. Because wealth is spread out and NOT focused on just 1-2 lines.

This team has given up a lot of good offensive players for guys with gung ho attitudes that will run their heads through the boards to stay in the show if you ask them. The trouble is when you trade skill for persistence you also lose some ability to score in a tight checking league. its a trade off and not one that good teams make. Good teams gather skill players, teach them how to play within system, then support that lineup with the best role player help.

You do that way because its harder to find the skill players. When you get them you're supposed to retain them. Especially re a team that keeps telling us they're in a market where its hard to attract talent.

When we get the talent we give it away.. I'm being careful not to like Roy too much. Can only assume the team will deal him to some other club as a rental. For a pick. :shakehead

Fantastic post. The Oilers have acquired high skill players through their 1st round / 1st overall draft picks. Those players are very tough to find, especially for a small market team like Edmonton. We shouldn't be so quick to trade them away. The fact that we don't have enough of grit in our team is a failure of management to find supporting players. Trading away skill for grit is just a bandaid solution

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Just curious...

What is the forward line-up had the Oilers kept Perron, and draft one of McDavid or Eichel? To me, it makes more sense to have kept him until at least one more season.

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Perron - Eichel - Yakupov

Maybe the Oilers get lucky and sign Stoll and Schlemko (not too unreasonable) while one of Nurse, Klefbom, or Marcinin breaks out. Trade Ference, and buy out Nikitin. All of a sudden it's a different Oilers team.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Just curious...

What is the forward line-up had the Oilers kept Perron, and draft one of McDavid or Eichel? To me, it makes more sense to have kept him until at least one more season.

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Perron - Eichel - Yakupov

Maybe the Oilers get lucky and sign Stoll and Schlemko (not too unreasonable) while one of Nurse, Klefbom, or Marcinin breaks out. Trade Ference, and buy out Nikitin. All of a sudden it's a different Oilers team.

Schlemko is a 6/7 dman. Why bother? I'd rather stick with Aulie as the extra dman. Also, Perron isn't much of an upgrade over Pouliot, so it's not a huge deal

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Schlemko is a 6/7 dman. Why bother? I'd rather stick with Aulie as the extra dman. Also, Perron isn't much of an upgrade over Pouliot, so it's not a huge deal

Maybe on a Yotes defense that carries OEL, Yandle, Michalek, Murphy and Stone. On an Oilers defense he's an upgrade on the bottom pairing since he's a young-ish and steady shut down guy.

Perron is a huge upgrade offensively. I think you're clouded right now

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Maybe on a Yotes defense that carries OEL, Yandle, Michalek, Murphy and Stone. On an Oilers defense he's an upgrade on the bottom pairing since he's a young-ish and steady shut down guy.

Schlemko has been next to useless this season.

He was waived for a reason.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london

Oilers have a bunch of 4/5/6 guys on their team which is their number one problem. You are going to say that Niktin and Ference aren't NHL defence-men but they are playing minutes that they should not be playing. Schlemko will just add to the problem and Pouliot adds size and willing to drive the net, there is a reason why we are better with him in the line-up than without.

Imagine a team filled with 3rd and 4th line players up front and a team with a #1 D, and 2 #2 D and 4th, 5th and 6th defence. Will that team be successful **** no.
That is pretty much a team that is built opposite of what they are right now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He's not an upgrade at all actually. The team he played on has no impact on how good of a dman he is. He's a #6/7 guy (and that's being generous). The only dman who he MIGHT be better than is Nikitin, and Nikitin isn't even one of our 6 best dmen. I watch a LOT more Coyotes games than other people here, and he's not worth getting. That's why Maloney got rid of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad