Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PHI] Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good luck to Talbot, super nice guy with a solid family. Too bad that his play as well as the team's really dipped these last few years.

Reactions: 780il

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Edm won this deal easily. It would have been pretty easy to get a pick coming back. Not the worst thing in the world but philly should have had the upper hand and used it here. I’m a little scared for the Simmonds trade.

Vincent32

Dec 13, 2018
Carter Hart is a promising young goalie. Anthony Stolarz is a 25 and, partially because of massive time lost to injury, still has yet to show much promise.

If the Flyers re-sign Talbot, which they obviously must intend to do, this makes perfect sense for them. Stolarz was likely about to walk as a UFA.

Was he not promising at one point?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Philly did Edmonton a solid gaining cap space. Weak move by fletcher not gaining a pick with Talbot.
They obviously want to sign him for next year as the vet to pair with Hart. So to Fletch, that is the win.

And a reminder, Stolarz played 12 NHL, 6 AHL, and 3 ECHL games the last 2 years. It's not surprising that his value is not that much.

I was just hoping the Oilers wanted the cap space more than Fletch wanted Talbot. Guess it was even.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I don’t get how people don’t understand it from a Flyers perspective. They’re almost suredly going to resign talbot to share the net with Hart the next couple years as he goes through the process. Montreal had someone for Price(Halak), Tampa had someone for Vasy(Bishop) and Anaheim had someone for Gibson(Anderson)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Was he not promising at one point?
He had a lot of injuries that he is likely over so he didn’t get to play at all for a long time. He’s big and moves well. He seems like a very stable guy. I think he could be a starter in the league. He’s played well this year and he will only get better.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Congrats on buying low on a decent young goalie with upside, while shedding salary of a useless UFA goalie. Edmonton wins a trade.

You couldn't even pull a draft pick, Fletcher? You had to have Carter's workout buddy that badly? :(

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
They obviously want to sign him for next year as the vet to pair with Hart. So to Fletch, that is the win.

And a reminder, Stolarz played 12 NHL, 6 AHL, and 3 ECHL games the last 2 years. It's not surprising that his value is not that much.

I was just hoping the Oilers wanted the cap space more than Fletch wanted Talbot. Guess it was even.
I am guessing he has been battling with a lot of injuries the past two seasons?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Neither of them would be getting big minutes. Hart is the starter.
Yeah, but you essentially giving the Oilers 3.5 million in cap space for free, knowing they need to open it up by Friday to get Sekera back in.

If your trading essentially equal backups and taking on a ton of money you usual assume your gonna get something.
Like if im the owner, I want to know why im paying out 5 times the salary for the new guy (even if for only 20 games) without getting any asset or benefit in the long run. They are loosing the RFA for a UFA, who is older.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Talbot had gotten worse and worse since his fluky run a few years back. Good for both teams. EDM gets a younger, cheaper and "hopefully" better goaltender in the long run and Philly can resign Talbot for a lot cheaper once his contract expires.

Reactions: Devonator

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He was 4th in Vezina voting two years ago. He was one of the best in the league at one point.
To be fair McLellan was runner up for coach of the year and Chiarelli for GM. It was a year that wasn't going to be replicated for many reasons.

Thanks for the run though, Cam. I think he's gonna like it in Philly.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t get how people don’t understand it from a Flyers perspective. They’re almost suredly going to resign talbot to share the net with Hart the next couple years as he goes through the process. Montreal had someone for Price(Halak), Tampa had someone for Vasy(Bishop) and Anaheim had someone for Gibson(Anderson)
They could sign him July 1 if they wanted. This move only makes him that much more to sign. It won’t be much but it’s poor asset management. I’d love the playoffs but it’s likely not happening this year. Makes no sense to add any UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad