Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oliers sign UFA Matt Benning to ELC

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
But in Europe youll make a fraction of the money. In addition scouting is limited over there versus AHL scouting here. Your NHL dreams are further off from going overseas. Having a good year in AHL or even NHL means a ton more for your long term future in NHL

CHL guys might as well suck it up, play in AHL for 1 or 2 years with drafted team, show well and hope to get traded or for things to improve on NHL team. If you go to Europe you just made your road to NHL a lot longer

Guys going UFA in NCAA just shorten their path by choosing whatever team they want. But to go to UFA they have to sacrifice not going pro earlier (and the 100s of thousands of dollars in pro mone and also AHL development time)

NCAA could solve all of this by allowing paid players in NCAA. Not even the school paying them, but the actual NHL team. Let an NHL sign a sophmore or junior but allow them to stay in school. Team gets control of player, player gets to stay in college and finish degree/school

Is money than much worse than AHL/ECHL deal though? Scouting is pretty strong especially if you end up in a major league like FEL, NLA or SHL.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
To be honest, I'm not sure I like how easy it is for an NCAA player to just instantly become a UFA.

Vesey is one thing but this guy is a year younger.

It feels like any NCAA-bound pick that isn't exceptionally talented in such a way that they'd be making the team at an early age is a 100% waste.

Vesey was drafted as an overages,
Both played 4 seasons of hockey after being drafted which made them UFAs

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

I think Stauffer said that LA, Vancouver, Chicago, and maybe Pittsburgh had interest. He was in LA last week

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Is money than much worse than AHL/ECHL deal though? Scouting is pretty strong especially if you end up in a major league like FEL, NLA or SHL.

Not that much lower. But if you are in AHL you have a way better likelihood of getting an NHL call up and making NHL money for a bit. So could be a spread of a 100k-200k over a season

Overseas scouting has gotten a lot better but I believe a good season in AHL means a lot more than good season in FEL/SEL or even KHL. For younger guys if you do good overseas you get signed to a NA deal, then come over and have to play in AHL to prove yourself in AHL and then get an NHL call up. For an AHL guy, NHL teams get to see him better in AHL and then he gets direct call up. So a bit easier path

The difference to me as to why CHL players dont do this and NCAA do go to free agency at times- is that for CHL guys it involves a lot of uprooting and unneccesary steps. Often if you have an reservations about team that drafted you, they are minor and not worth not signing an ELC

But for a NCAA guy, they are likely going to school for 4 years anyway (either because they want to or teams just dont sign many 2nd/3rd years to pro deals unless they are really good). So they wills tay 4 years in school no matter what. Then when they do graduate they have luxury of choosing any team. So they may like the team they drafted them, just better for career to choose a better suited team

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Is it less risky though? If they're decent enough they could get a pro contract in Europe somewhere (I imagine the AHL/ECHL would be tougher to crack due to NHL teams control).

I don't think it would be worth it for a player to have to move overseas and acclimate to a new language/lifestyle/coaching/rink size for just one year of hockey while so much (millions of dollars) hangs in the balance. It would be far too stressful. NCAA players have that familiarity of their college rink/lifestyle for the full 3-4 years.

Matthews could do it because he was a superstar talent that was undoubtedly going to go top 5 no matter what year he had. He also had a ton of backing/resources and he was going to get millions of dollars even if he was piss-poor in the NLA.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
NCAA should adjust the rules for hockey players. I understand they dont want to pay players (its a joke but whatever) but I see no reason why they wouldnt let NHL teams pay for NCAA tution. They dont have to give scholarships to players (save money) and get to keep some players in NCAA that might leave for AHL/NHL

So something like this: Player X is drafted in round 3, has a pretty solid draft+1 year in NCAA. NHL team wants to make sure he is under contract, signs him to an sliding ELC (liek CHL players get) and allows him to stay in NCAA, earn money thru contract, but also keeps him under contract when he leaves NCAA

That NCAA can stop giving him the scholarship, he pays full tuition with money he got from signing bonus (hell even have extra after).

Every party is better off:

NHL- Pays a bit extra money than they otherwise would have but get an important player under contract
NCAA-Gets money from that player for tution (minor amount in grand scheme) but retains talent in NCAA
Player-Gets to finish schooling but also gets money. Can choose whenever is best to leave for NHL and money is no longer driving factor

For rest of average drfated NCAA players-rules remain the same.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
Could a layer just never register for the draft? At what point would he be a ufa?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Could a layer just never register for the draft? At what point would he be a ufa?

Draft isnt opt in like NFL draft is

Any person under 20 can be drafted IIRC, maybe its 19 (seriously any HF user under 20 could be). So your rights would always be kept until 20 at min (if you were good enough to be drafted)

Ofcourse if you arent drafted at 18 you are free to sign as UFA. So you could just screw the pooch in your draft year to go undrafted, in which case you are a UFA

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Probably not Pittsburgh, we already have 16 defensemen under contract and 3 or 4 more on AHL deals with WBS. It's kind of ridiculous.

some off hand comment about previous cup winners, Pittsburgh's the only one I really wasn't sure about

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Im going to say that this was a fantastic off season for the Oilers prospect wise. Whether they pan out or not remains to be seen tho.

Chai stocked up on every possible position.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Edmonton's historical perforamance with Defensemen development has to be the worst in the league bar none.

We haven't drafted and developer a top pairing defenseman in 25 years.

I'm surprised agents haven't caught on to this. Maybe it's just bad drafting.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Edmonton's historical perforamance with Defensemen development has to be the worst in the league bar none.

Petry, Klefbom

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

It's a fair comment, but also look at the drafting history (other than Darnell Nurse) nothing in the top-10 for the past 30+ years and only handful in the first round!!!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005632.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Edmonton_Oilers_draft_picks

Oilers have been fairly allergic to drafting D high.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I'm surprised agents haven't caught on to this.
PHP:
Maybe it's just bad drafting

This . Now that Chia has taken over our picks from the last draft has taken gains step forward , See Bear and Paigin progress . They still have work to do but for once our D has taken a giant step forward draft +1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad