Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oliers sign UFA Matt Benning to ELC

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Couldn't a CHL player do exactly the same thing if he didn't sign after completing his overage season?

No.

CHLers drafted at 18 (with three years left of eligibility in the league) would re-enter at 20. If they get drafted by another team they don't like and choose not to sign with them, they have very few options in terms of professional hockey. They would have to sign an AHL deal or go to the CIS for a year or two.

So it's not worth it for CHL players ready for the NHL because they'd be sitting, waiting to become a UFA, in the AHL instead of playing in the NHL. They're losing out on a ton of money.

And it's not worth it for CHL players not yet ready for the NHL, because they wouldn't have a guaranteed three year contract with signing bonuses. If they have a career ending injury or flame out, they don't have nearly as much money as they would if they signed an NHL deal. Beggars can't be choosers, in that instance.

Most NCAA players don't play in the NCAA the year after they're drafted, so by the time they're ready they can exercise the "Mike Reilly" or "Matt Benning" loophole.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Nothing wrong with a free lottery ticket. I also appreciate the fact that this one didn't require the Grand Tour of all 30 NHL cities with flights on private planes to each before making up his mind. It's almost like he keeps his ego in check or something.

Mainly the level of relevancy for the prospects.

Did the Bruins even attempt to sign him?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Nothing wrong with a free lottery ticket. I also appreciate the fact that this one didn't require the Grand Tour of all 30 NHL cities with flights on private planes to each before making up his mind. It's almost like he keeps his ego in check or something.

Or he isn't nearly as good as other ufa ncaa guys haha

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

I'm curious as well? I honestly had to check whether this was the same Benning in the Bruins system....Don't think he was ever really on the prospect radar. Didn't know he was a free agent. Can't ever complain about adding a prospect for free though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Stauffer said there were multiple teams after him, but he's our team's mouthpiece so whatever. I don't see him as a liar, but I also don't see multiple teams after a free prospect as a big deal.

I've read good things about Benning. I don't think we can judge him until we see him in the AHL at least. He seems like a guy who might be interesting next season, but might play a few NHL games this year if he looks good in the AHL. We need RHD who shoot right, in the NHL and AHL. If there's a player there we'll find it.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

lol nice way to say " It sucks we didnt get a better player than him". Ofc he wasnt given a tour of all 30 cities, he isnt anything special at all or even close to it. With that said, you never know how players turn out and nothing wrong with adding a rh young defensemen to the organization for free.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Stauffer said there were multiple teams after him, but he's our team's mouthpiece so whatever. I don't see him as a liar, but I also don't see multiple teams after a free prospect as a big deal.

I've read good things about Benning. I don't think we can judge him until we see him in the AHL at least. He seems like a guy who might be interesting next season, but might play a few NHL games this year if he looks good in the AHL. We need RHD who shoot right, in the NHL and AHL. If there's a player there we'll find it.

Pretty sure the Canucks were interested too, and I imagine a couple other teams would've been as well - I mean, it's a free asset and at worst Benning becomes a solid AHL player which a lot of NHL GM's would be fine with as well.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Really thought Jim would sign him & give him 1st pairing minutes. He's already given his security guard son a scouting job...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ehhh decent depth signing I guess. We could always use more RHD, plus from scouting reports seems like he plays a physical style game and is a heavy hitter. First impressions are good.

Even if he's just an AHL depth signing, we need more RHD in Bakersfield and with the Oilers.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
lol nice way to say " It sucks we didnt get a better player than him". Ofc he wasnt given a tour of all 30 cities, he isnt anything special at all or even close to it. With that said, you never know how players turn out and nothing wrong with adding a rh young defensemen to the organization for free.
You mean like Drake Caggiula?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You mean like Drake Caggiula?

Caggiula > Vesey

I love how Caggiula and Pulju are flying under the radar for us. We don't even have either of them penciled in as guaranteed starters. They'll have to fight for an opportunity to be on the 3rd line, one or both of them could easily be starting in the AHL if they're not ready. We're growing up and maturing as a team, it's nice not feeling the need to rush rookies into the lineup. A welcome change. I really think we're starting to turn the corner and our window is just starting to crack open. It's "show me" time. No excuses.

Seems like EDM is becoming an attractive place for free agents as well. The tides are slowly shifting, and thinking this is actually reasonable and not outlandish. Previous years you just knew we couldn't compete in division before the season started, it doesn't feel that way anymore being as objective as I can.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If this guy's a top-4 D-man this year I'm gonna flip

Start Flipping he will be a top four D in the AHL this year . He sure the hell won't be one in the NHL . If he is it is because he force his way there . Edmonton is becoming a deeper team where players will have to earn their spots in the NHL . As one fan mention we could very well have Puljujarvi and Caggiula in the AHL this year . Nurse may even be there . No more free rides :)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
No.

CHLers drafted at 18 (with three years left of eligibility in the league) would re-enter at 20. If they get drafted by another team they don't like and choose not to sign with them, they have very few options in terms of professional hockey. They would have to sign an AHL deal or go to the CIS for a year or two.

So it's not worth it for CHL players ready for the NHL because they'd be sitting, waiting to become a UFA, in the AHL instead of playing in the NHL. They're losing out on a ton of money.

And it's not worth it for CHL players not yet ready for the NHL, because they wouldn't have a guaranteed three year contract with signing bonuses. If they have a career ending injury or flame out, they don't have nearly as much money as they would if they signed an NHL deal. Beggars can't be choosers, in that instance.

Most NCAA players don't play in the NCAA the year after they're drafted, so by the time they're ready they can exercise the "Mike Reilly" or "Matt Benning" loophole.

CHL players can decide after 2 years not to sign with the team that drafted them. NCAA players have to wait 4 years. Yes, CHL players would go back into the draft if they were originally drafted at 18/19, but they can wait another 2 years and become a UFA.

So in either case, the player can wait 4 years after being drafted and become a UFA. In either case, the player is not getting paid an NHL salary while waiting. The only difference, and the only reason you see it happen more with NCAA players than CHL players, is because NCAA players can spend that entire time in college rather than having to find a new place to play after 2 years. The CHL player could, if he chose, play in the AHL or in Europe and earn money while waiting to become a UFA. The NCAA player doesn't have that option.

It isn't a loophole. Loopholes are unintended consequences of the rules. This was negotiated by the NHL and NHLPA. It is intended that players have the right to become a UFA after 4 years if they don't sign with the team(s) that drafted them.

Teams aren't required to sign their draft picks. Players shouldn't be required to sign with the team that drafted them.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
CHL players can decide after 2 years not to sign with the team that drafted them. NCAA players have to wait 4 years. Yes, CHL players would go back into the draft if they were originally drafted at 18/19, but they can wait another 2 years and become a UFA.

So in either case, the player can wait 4 years after being drafted and become a UFA. In either case, the player is not getting paid an NHL salary while waiting. The only difference, and the only reason you see it happen more with NCAA players than CHL players, is because NCAA players can spend that entire time in college rather than having to find a new place to play after 2 years. The CHL player could, if he chose, play in the AHL or in Europe and earn money while waiting to become a UFA. The NCAA player doesn't have that option.

It isn't a loophole. Loopholes are unintended consequences of the rules. This was negotiated by the NHL and NHLPA. It is intended that players have the right to become a UFA after 4 years if they don't sign with the team(s) that drafted them.

Teams aren't required to sign their draft picks. Players shouldn't be required to sign with the team that drafted them.

That's what I thought, so the rule is essentially the same for CHL players but less enticing because they'd need to find a good spot to play once they're done with the CHL until they become an NHL free agent.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Mainly the level of relevancy for the prospects.

There was a tweet saying Boston wanted him to return fir senior year but he wanted to go pro. Once that happened Edmonton, Chicago, van, Philly (I think) were all going hard. Doubt more than 10 teams made offers. Vesey didn't even get 30

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Be interesting to see how he does. Could be a good bottom pairing defenseman for the Oilers.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Be interesting to see how he does. Could be a good bottom pairing defenseman for the Oilers.

I think his upside is as a solid bottom pairing D. Honestly kind of sounds like Ference a bit. So if he can reach a level close to Ference thatd be awesome

Signing is all sorts of meh. In nearly every NHL prospect pool hed rank 7th-15th. Even for all of Oilers D prospects hed rank around 8th or 9th. The only reason this signing much value to Oilers is that they have about 10 LHD prospects and 2 RHD prospects- both who are 4 years away if anything. He instantly becomes most NHL ready RHD prospect and best (or tied for 2nd) RHD prospect in system. Thats how laughably bad our RHD prospect depth is

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

Right, but why would CHL players take a 1 year AHL/ECHL contract instead of a 3 year NHL one after they're done with their overage season? That's why it doesn't happen.

exactly.

Poor word choice on my part, but it is unknown whether or not it is a loophole. Just searching it up leads to a plethora of different perspectives.

Giving college players a more enticing, less risky route to reach UFA status than other North American players sounds like a loophole to me, but maybe it was intended.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Right, but why would CHL players take a 1 year AHL/ECHL contract instead of a 3 year NHL one after they're done with their overage season? That's why it doesn't happen.

exactly.

Poor word choice on my part, but it is unknown whether or not it is a loophole. Just searching it up leads to a plethora of different perspectives.

Giving college players a more enticing, less risky route to reach UFA status than other North American players sounds like a loophole to me, but maybe it was intended.

Is it less risky though? If they're decent enough they could get a pro contract in Europe somewhere (I imagine the AHL/ECHL would be tougher to crack due to NHL teams control).

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
It is not a loophole if it is spelled out in the CBA. A loophole would be an unexpressed benefit as a result of certain regulations.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Is it less risky though? If they're decent enough they could get a pro contract in Europe somewhere (I imagine the AHL/ECHL would be tougher to crack due to NHL teams control).

But in Europe youll make a fraction of the money. In addition scouting is limited over there versus AHL scouting here. Your NHL dreams are further off from going overseas. Having a good year in AHL or even NHL means a ton more for your long term future in NHL

CHL guys might as well suck it up, play in AHL for 1 or 2 years with drafted team, show well and hope to get traded or for things to improve on NHL team. If you go to Europe you just made your road to NHL a lot longer

Guys going UFA in NCAA just shorten their path by choosing whatever team they want. But to go to UFA they have to sacrifice not going pro earlier (and the 100s of thousands of dollars in pro mone and also AHL development time)

NCAA could solve all of this by allowing paid players in NCAA. Not even the school paying them, but the actual NHL team. Let an NHL sign a sophmore or junior but allow them to stay in school. Team gets control of player, player gets to stay in college and finish degree/school

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad