Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign D Cody Ceci (4 years, $3.25M AAV)

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
being in a non feature role, being more experienced at 27 years old, being on a team with solid fundamental coaching, being on a team with better than league average goaltending, and especially being on the ice with a 1st ballot hall of fame partner who has not lost his smarts

IMO, no surprise that he is doing just fine. Ceci put himself into a good situation and I expect some solid years from him. Decent signing for sure

That's something I haven't even heard from the most die hard Oilers fan. Feels weird hearing that.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, this kind of approach doesn't work for me. Would you say the Oilers wouldn't be what they are without McDavid? So why is one player on the Canucks not allowed to be the difference between a "pounding" and a one goal game?

That's what we're saying though. People love to trash the Oilers as "yall'd be a lotto team without McDavid!" sure, okay. Most teams would be significantly worse if they replaced one of their top players with Jay Beagle or Carter Hutton.

Reactions: TFHockey

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A lot of us that watched him in Ottawa thought he had some tools, but never had the toolbox. I think it's highly unlikely that he found his little toolbox to deploy those tools properly. And especially not at the risk of a 13 million dollar contract or whatever it was. But again, good luck, most Ottawa fans wish nothing but good things for him.

And again he’s not trying to use the same tools as three years ago.

He’s adapted his game to better suit his ability.

That has nothing to do with tools or toolbox, he was simply given a job he could do as opposed to a job he couldn't before

Cody Ceci was totally fine in Ottawa before Guy Boucher became the coach. He went from playing an easier 19 mins to 23+ mins a night in a shutdown role... To Boucher's defense, Dorion didn't provide him with any other D-man that could have helped the defense. There was Karlsson, Methot, Phaneuf, Ceci and poor depth (Borowiecki, Wideman, Claesson). It was last year being efficient for Phaneuf and Methot too as he got claimed by Vegas then traded to Dallas but only played 45 games after that

I was explaining these things 4-5 years ago but nobody ever listens! I have plenty of these posts in my posting history

Prospect Info: - 2016 5th Round - 133rd overall - Maxime Lajoie (D, Swift Current Broncos)
Player Discussion - Cody Ceci | Part IV
Silver Seven - Senators Remain at Odds with Outside Scouting Consensus

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ceci has been excellent here from day one. Completely solid in his own end. Plays within his abilities to a tee. Puts up surprising and controlled offensives contributions. And this has been happening for 85 games straight (including playoffs) now with consistency. Couldn’t be happier with this signing. And thanks to the Pens fans that gave us the heads up on what he actually was. And a big f*** off to Leafs fans that shit on this signing cause he missed the net by 6 feet ONE time.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Ceci finally realized the potential he showed as a prospect and in his early years as a Sen. He was in a garbage situation to finish with the Sens and a worse situation with the Leafs. His stint with the Pens stabilized his career and now he's thriving on the Oilers how he should've always been

10/10 signing. He's playing like a 5M+ D man

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Ya reading some of these early comments is pretty fun. Lots of “smartest person in the room” types.

Ceci has been unbelievable

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Had not watched enough of him this year in Edmonton, but good to see him doing well.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s been great all year. No doubt. Have to give Holland credit. The thing is, he’s always had the tools. You just worried he was never going to put it together.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He is VERY good. Been the Oilers best Dman for my money over the course of the season. What an absolute steal of a contract if he can keep that play up.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I always thought he was a # 4 D on the leafs although at the time the leafs had a bad structure. He was pretty decent with the Pens. He’s a top 4 D. I told oiler fans before the signing they’re getting a good top 4 D in Ceci, an absolute force in Hyman and overpayments in Barrie and Campbell. I’d take Hyman and Ceci on my team any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad