Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign D Cody Ceci (4 years, $3.25M AAV)

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The salt! Some advice, maybe watch a game instead of looking up obscure stats. Ceci has been fantastic.

Bottom 16 teams in goals against at even strength? The oilers are tied for 14th in the league on 5v5 GA's. That's a good thing, we are never going to be an elite defensive team with the way we play. The Oilers outscore their opposition and play firewagon hockey.
Bottom 16 in expected goals for, no one said anything about goals against. Keep moving those posts

North

Jun 25, 2009
Don't see how it can or will as Ottawa fans saw him long enough to know that he's not that good. But you can hope.

He hasn’t been with Ottawa for awhile. You know sometimes players mature and do get better.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Don't see how it can or will as Ottawa fans saw him long enough to know that he's not that good. But you can hope.

Except you're missing the fact that he was deployed as a top pairing Dman in Ottawa and isn't in Edmonton. Context matters.

It's like the people saying Keith is the worst Dman in the league. Well yeah, he's not a 23+ minute Dman anymore and wasn't going to play that role in Edmonton. Put him in a 2nd pairing role and he's fine, thus far. Same with Ceci. Play him 18-20 minutes a night and he's solid enough.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm here to tell you he isnt as good as the handful of games where you've seen him punch above his weight.

Punch above his weight? What are you even talking about? He played responsible hockey last year and his play has been any different this year.

Again I ask, what are you doing here? Are you lost?

Reactions: Ragdoll

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He hasn’t been with Ottawa for awhile. You know sometimes players mature and do get better.

A lot of us that watched him in Ottawa thought he had some tools, but never had the toolbox. I think it's highly unlikely that he found his little toolbox to deploy those tools properly. And especially not at the risk of a 13 million dollar contract or whatever it was. But again, good luck, most Ottawa fans wish nothing but good things for him.

North

Jun 25, 2009
A lot of us that watched him in Ottawa thought he had some tools, but never had the toolbox. I think it's highly unlikely that he found his little toolbox to deploy those tools properly. And especially not at the risk of a 13 million dollar contract or whatever it was. But again, good luck, most Ottawa fans wish nothing but good things for him.

And again he’s not trying to use the same tools as three years ago.

He’s adapted his game to better suit his ability.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Or maybe he was a Dman who was in over his head playing 23+ minutes a night and is better now because he's in a more suitable role.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Punch above his weight? What are you even talking about? He played responsible hockey last year and his play has been any different this year.

Again I ask, what are you doing here? Are you lost?
Right, so everything previous to last season doesn't count. You keep asking why I'm here, it's a hockey forum, what do you think? Put me on ignore if it bothers you so much.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
The sens had him play epically bad minutes with Ben Harpur. No one looks good in that situation.

And for Toronto he was their best defensive D man.

He mostly gets a bad rap from fans that cannot fathom its harder to play against McDavid and Crosby as opposed to Deslaurier and Suomela.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

people said Nurse and Puljujarvi had tools and no toolbox and look at both players now. Some players need more time to figure it all out.

Reactions: McSuper

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Hes been better than I expected so far. Leaf and Sens fans were saying he would be a tire fire but hes looked pretty reliable with Keith so far. Skates well enough and doesn't make many glaring mistakes, I wouldn't expect him to be creating any offence but we have 3 other D who can do that just fine. Maybe the Leafs and Sens just had this guy playing too high in the lineup and couldn't manage expectations. Hes doing what Larsson did for us at a similar price point.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He was solid last year with Pittsburgh and Edmonton this season, in a lesser role, so the reality differs from your opinion.

We'll see. Saw him for 6 years and he had moments of brilliance and moments where you were sure he was brain dead.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Play
We'll see. Saw him for 6 years and he had moments of brilliance and moments where you were sure he was brain dead.
Playing in an inferior division with lesser competition is like a mirage making him look better than he is

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I mean, Demko was the only reason that game wasn't 5-1. He stood on his head and he's going to be a huge pain in the ass for years.

Yeah, this kind of approach doesn't work for me. Would you say the Oilers wouldn't be what they are without McDavid? So why is one player on the Canucks not allowed to be the difference between a "pounding" and a one goal game?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think you will find any oiler fan who is 100% confident in Ceci, but so far he has been good. We are 6-1, so how bad could he really be with that record. I will reserve judgement until we go through a bad spell and see how he does there.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, this kind of approach doesn't work for me. Would you say the Oilers wouldn't be what they are without McDavid? So why is one player on the Canucks not allowed to be the difference between a "pounding" and a one goal game?

Scoring chances 28-25
High danger chances 8-7
expected goals for 2.3 - 1.8

Really Koskinen is also the reason the game wasnt a 5-5 game. It’s not because Vancouver was getting “pounded”

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Pens have a glut of D including Mike Matheson at $4.9M per year. No space for Ceci who was good for the Pens last year.
He was good for Pittsburgh in fact much better than most of them. Letting ceci go over trading pettersen was a mistake

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
being in a non feature role, being more experienced at 27 years old, being on a team with solid fundamental coaching, being on a team with better than league average goaltending, and especially being on the ice with a 1st ballot hall of fame partner who has not lost his smarts

IMO, no surprise that he is doing just fine. Ceci put himself into a good situation and I expect some solid years from him. Decent signing for sure

Reactions: dreamcomehere

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You also had him really young, D takes some time to come of age and development. The HF scouting report on all the new Oilers have been hilariously wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad