Proposal: Edm/La idea

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Did anyone watch the Oilers in the playoffs and think to themselves, "You know what this team is missing? Drew Doughty!"

Phenomenal player, to be sure, but this addresses no glaring holes, and uses the cap space needed to fill those holes.

True. While Edmonton's blueline is far from amazing, forward depth is their true weakness at this point. They need to find some wingers that can produce with Drai or McDavid so that Edmonton can do the unthinkable and have McDavid and Drai both centering their own lines.

Would obviously be nice for the bottom six forwards to be able to score now and then, too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree that it's time for Edmonton to push in their chips.

But Doughty is not the player you go for. He's not the same player he used to be.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
no way LA retains over $2.5M for 6 years.

The Doughty deal may end up being a nightmare for LA, but he had a nice rebound year on a team where he still has to shelter most of the defensive pressure. He took big strides not bitching to the refs and actually looking composed on the ice too.

Also Blake has said the time is now to add, the tear down part is over.

Reactions: KingTech

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I can see Doughty going to the Leafs more that the Oilers. They have some better young pieces Kings can use. For the cap to work it will depend on what happens in game 7 Leafs Vs Habs.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Yikes! If we need to add an $11M d-man everytime there's a giveaway, we're never getting out of this rebuild. Not sure how Nurse showed that he couldn't handle the minutes either. No - there are other ways to shore up your bottom pair.
I dont actually think Doughty is the guy for the Oilers but I do think they need a reliable dman that can eat minutes and help seal games when the chips are down.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
I can appreciate how good Doughty was for many years but he’s 31 and on the downside at 11M cap hit. Bouchard is on his ELC, one of the best D prospects in the league (I know prospects aren’t guarantees). It’s possible Bouchard is better than Doughty in the next 3 years. Oiler should not touch this

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
They have that guy in Darnell Nurse. What they need, is other guys to surround him with in building a solid defensive core.
Yea if Nurse is your #1 dman he will need a really solid supporting cast and a better goalie than Smith

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Let's not pretend that Nurse is an offense only player.
You said top 10 so I thought you meant in goals or something. I didnt think you actually meant top 10 all around dman in the league?
While were pretending Ill pretend hes a #1 dman on a contender and then we can stop this conversation thats going nowhere.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
You said top 10 so I thought you meant in goals or something. I didnt think you actually meant top 10 all around dman in the league?
While were pretending Ill pretend hes a #1 dman on a contender and then we can stop this conversation thats going nowhere.

This year he was definitely in the discussion for top 10 D in the league. How do you figure he is not?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

This year he was definitely in the discussion for top 10 D in the league. How do you figure he is not?

I don't blame anyone for not knowing about players reaching new heights this season, I didn't watch many out of division games. I don't think I saw any Florida games this year, so when I saw the Mackenzie Weegar discussion as a Norris candidate I was shocked too. But make no mistake about it, Darnell Nurse was a top 10 all around defenseman this season. Minute eating, point producing, goal scoring, penalty killing, play in any situation. He's emerged as an elite defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad