Proposal: EDM-FLA : The Ekblad File

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think it was mainly an illustration of why the Ekblad trade is bad tbh...which goes back to my earlier post as well: no one thinks Draisatl would be traded for a package like this barring say trade demand given how rare he is

@bucks_oil , this is my main point above.

The OP isn't the worst offer but it's not enough to move our elite-ish #1D.
In the end, its pretty hard to compare two different positions.

You think its rich but it should be rich for an elite level player with 5 years left, its rare because no sane GM trades elite level players for mostly futures + lower tier replacement unless they demand a trade.

You obviously don't view the entire package of Ekblad (age, position, contract, resume) the same and thats fine. Agree to disagree.

Can you offer up a trade you would accept for Drai with a RD as the key piece?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

The OP isn't the worst offer but it's not enough to move our elite-ish #1D.

You think its rich but it should be rich for an elite level player with 5 years left, its rare because no sane GM trades elite level players for mostly futures + lower tier replacement unless they demand a trade.

You obviously don't view the entire package of Ekblad (age, position, contract, resume) the same and thats fine. Agree to disagree.

Can you offer up a trade you would accept for Drai with a RD as the key piece?

The two are different players playing different positions. Draisaitl is also coming off a season where he won the Art Ross. The two really can't be compared in trade value.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The two are different players playing different positions. Draisaitl is also coming off a season where he won the Art Ross. The two really can't be compared in trade value.
Read the main point: we are trying to explain why parts for elite is not reasonable.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

1) The OP isn't the worst offer but it's not enough to move our elite-ish #1D.

2) You think its rich but it should be rich for an elite level player with 5 years left, its rare because no sane GM trades elite level players for mostly futures + lower tier replacement unless they demand a trade.

3) You obviously don't view the entire package of Ekblad (age, position, contract, resume) the same and thats fine. Agree to disagree.

4) Can you offer up a trade you would accept for Drai with a RD as the key piece?

I've added numbers to your post to address efficiently.

1) We can agree on this. I can see both sides.
2) This as well... and the Edmonton perspective is that we probably give up more upside (Bouch, 1st) than we gain... we only win if Ekblad becomes that two way, 50+ point force. In the short term we lose an elite offensive talent who may step in next year, a 1st and replace Klefbom with a tier up but also add $3.3M in salary. It's close but I'd probably stand pat at that price.
3) Nope, not sure I would say that. A tier above Klefbom (but part of that is age, contract, upside,... not on ice), but where perhaps we disagree, he's also a full (entirely on ice) tier below Drai (since contracts/age are ~same). In the next three years I actually value Klef's contract given cap... plus at 27 he's not old, with probably 6-8 years of vet prime left. (fully expect you would see those as negatives)
4) I've already told you... Ekblad + two 1sts and as GM you would have to at least discuss it with your mgmt team. You probably still reject it, but it's in the realm of fair. My entire point, where I took exception, was that you compared the OP's offer to Ekblad + 12th for Drai and then said you would expect us to reject forcefully. Well of course, because the gap between Drai and Ekblad is at least as wide as the gap between Ekblad and Klef.... and thus your analogy offers a false equivalence. Add a first/top end prospect to make it truly analogous and I'd reluctantly have to consider it.

Anyway... we agree that fair (IMO more than fair) OP offer or not... I don't see any real motivation for FLA to move on from 24-year old Ekblad. A restock/rebuild will have him at prime age to lead a younger team built around him. You only make that trade if you have doubts about Ekblad in which case, buyer beware.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad