Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Kailer Yamamoto signs extension with Oilers (2 years, $3.1M)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd be pretty gutted if McLeod is let go. He really improved last season and really used his speed well. At times he looked like McDavid with the puck in terms of zone entries and what not and being able to back off d-men. Hopefully Holland can figure something out.
There's zero chance he's moved. Cheap for the next 1-2 years with lots of growth potential, plus he's their only hope for a long time #3C. He's more valuable long term than Puljujarvi and Yamamoto tbh.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

this is what the Flames did.

Someone may have to start in the AHL. So yes, if a player making over 1 mil is placed on waivers in the preseason and not claimed, Oilers should get that 1 Mil AHL cap reduction to be compliant by the regular season. The Oilers have 30 days before they have to send the player down or waive the player again and reset the 30 days or whatever the limit is.

I think Flames did this to accrue cap for the TDL, Oilers will be doing this basically to be cap compliant. Reason different, concept same.

Assuming one way contract. Said player (ie: Foegele who is unlikely to be claimed) basically is just paper transactioned and still makes the same salary.
Waiving a player doesn't remove that player's cap hit unless the player is claimed. If he isn't claimed, he has to be sent down to open any cap space. There are no taxi squads anymore. If Foegele were sent down, the team would save 1.125 mil. That's the maximum possible. Min NHL salary + 375k. The current min salary is 750k.

Edmonton has about 300k in LTIR cap space left, assuming both Klefbom and Smith will remain on LTIR for the entire season. They only have 11 forwards signed, with 7 dmen and 2 goalies. Demoting a dman and signing McLeod to his QO doesn't get it done. Sure, you'll be cap compliant, but no team runs a 20 man roster. Injuries happen, and Edmonton would have only about 600k in LTIR space at most, with no spare players.

Players can only be placed on LTIR if they have a legitimate injury that warrants that status. Any player placed on LTIR has to miss a minimum of 10 games and 24 days. If McDavid gets hurt and has to miss 1 game, you aren't putting him on LTIR even if you could. If Edmonton were to try to place a player on LTIR who doesn't have a legitimate long term injury, the NHL would no doubt investigate it.

Clubs are not permitted to Loan Players where the result of such Loan(s) would
reduce the Club's Active Roster below eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders. However,
Clubs will not be required to Recall Players to maintain the minimum eighteen (18) skaters and
two (2) goaltenders on days which they do not play an NHL Game, provided that the deficiency
below those thresholds is a result of an injury that has caused the removal of such disabled
Player from the Active Roster.

(c) Except in case of emergency, there shall be no reduction of the required minimum
Playing Rosters of the Clubs, below eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders.

So playing with less than 20 isn't really an option, outside of an emergency situation.

The bottom line is that Edmonton has to move someone. They aren't going into the season with a 20 man roster.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Klefbom and Smith can add to 6.367 Mil in LTIR. It basically means they can sign McLeod to a 1.2 ish AAV contract and waive someone to be cap compliant.

If that's the contract for McLeod, Oilers don't have to pay assets to be cap compliant. They just waive Ryan, Foegele or Janmark every 30 days or whatever it is while keeping the player on the roster if the player isn't claimed. If the Oilers end up with someone on IR, the waiving of said player can stop. Flames did this 2-3 seasons ago with Derek Ryan (coincidentally the same guy the Oilers might consider doing this with) when they couldn't clear the cap they wanted to.

I’m not too detailed on the Oilers situation. Just browsed Capfriendly and it looked like they were over $6 million in cap with Smith and Klefbom on LTIR already. But if LTIR works that’s easy enough.

Reactions: Fig

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Yamamoto is solid, but a bit of let down at times because he looks like he could a legit scoring threat abelt o score 65ish points a year (Gallagher type player), but then tails off for parts of the year

This contract is very fair for what he brings, but hopefully he can put a full season of good play in. When hes on, he looks like a very good player. When hes off, hes a above average 3rd line forechecking forward

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I am so glad that Kenny "Cap Hell" Holland is your team's problem now instead of mine. Based on past experience as a Wings fan, expect him some bonehead trades to make cap space.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Funny how it’s always the same few posters spending endless amounts of their time pounding any oilers related threads with post after post. I guess when your time isn’t that valuable you can let a sports team eat it up.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I am so glad that Kenny "Cap Hell" Holland is your team's problem now instead of mine. Based on past experience as a Wings fan, expect him some bonehead trades to make cap space.
He got rid of Lucic and Kassian without much damage so we have some hope.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I was expecting Yamamoto to get $3.5M this year so this is probably a good deal for Edmonton.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Waiving a player doesn't remove that player's cap hit unless the player is claimed. If he isn't claimed, he has to be sent down to open any cap space. There are no taxi squads anymore. If Foegele were sent down, the team would save 1.125 mil. That's the maximum possible. Min NHL salary + 375k. The current min salary is 750k.

Edmonton has about 300k in LTIR cap space left, assuming both Klefbom and Smith will remain on LTIR for the entire season. They only have 11 forwards signed, with 7 dmen and 2 goalies. Demoting a dman and signing McLeod to his QO doesn't get it done. Sure, you'll be cap compliant, but no team runs a 20 man roster. Injuries happen, and Edmonton would have only about 600k in LTIR space at most, with no spare players.

Players can only be placed on LTIR if they have a legitimate injury that warrants that status. Any player placed on LTIR has to miss a minimum of 10 games and 24 days. If McDavid gets hurt and has to miss 1 game, you aren't putting him on LTIR even if you could. If Edmonton were to try to place a player on LTIR who doesn't have a legitimate long term injury, the NHL would no doubt investigate it.

So playing with less than 20 isn't really an option, outside of an emergency situation.

The bottom line is that Edmonton has to move someone. They aren't going into the season with a 20 man roster.
It doesn't remove the cap hit, but a waived player I believe has a cap hit reduced by one Mil as long as they're not on the roster. I believe this includes press box. Taxi squad IIRC was basically an extended press box group that could travel with the team and not have cap implications if not on the active roster. I'm just saying I don't think the Oilers are as painted into a corner as some keep saying.

I could be wrong. But that is my understanding of the loophole use of that facet of the 30 day rule. Players may not like doing this, because the org still does have the option of burying them vs keeping them around.

We shall have to see what happens. I just don't think it'll look like Edmonton paying premium assets to obtain less than 1.5 Mil cap space.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Teams have dressed less skaters before. Sometimes they've had less than 18 skaters in a game. Its usually done after the trade deadline for good reason but I could see the Oilers being willing to risk having to play shorthanded and just spread those minutes around until the player returns or they can call someone up once LTIR kicks in

The bottom line is that the playoff roster takes priority. The Oilers can sacrifice some regular season success and still make the playoffs without too much trouble

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It doesn't remove the cap hit, but a waived player I believe has a cap hit reduced by one Mil as long as they're not on the roster. I believe this includes press box. Taxi squad IIRC was basically an extended press box group that could travel with the team and not have cap implications if not on the active roster. I'm just saying I don't think the Oilers are as painted into a corner as some keep saying.

I could be wrong. But that is my understanding of the loophole use of that facet of the 30 day rule. Players may not like doing this, because the org still does have the option of burying them vs keeping them around.

We shall have to see what happens. I just don't think it'll look like Edmonton paying premium assets to obtain less than 1.5 Mil cap space.
That is not correct. As long as the player is on the roster, his cap hit counts in full. A player that is waived is not removed from the roster unless he is claimed. He is only removed from the roster, and the cap savings granted, if he is loaned to a team in another pro league.

For any Player on a One-Way NHL SPC who is Loaned to a club in another professional league, the Averaged Amount of such SPC less the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $375,000 for that League Year (e.g., $900,000 in 2012-13) for the period during which such Player is Loaned to such professional league;

Once a player has cleared waivers, the team has 10 games or 30 days to send him down before he needs to clear waivers again. If they don't send him down though, he is still counting in full against the cap.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Teams have dressed less skaters before. Sometimes they've had less than 18 skaters in a game. Its usually done after the trade deadline for good reason but I could see the Oilers being willing to risk having to play shorthanded and just spread those minutes around until the player returns or they can call someone up once LTIR kicks in

The bottom line is that the playoff roster takes priority. The Oilers can sacrifice some regular season success and still make the playoffs without too much trouble
Less than 18 skaters is possible in an emergency situation. They won't be allowed to regularly ice less than 18 skaters. If 2 dmen get hurt, are you going to play with 4 dmen because you can't afford to call someone up? What if a goalie gets hurt? You can't use an ebug every game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Less than 18 skaters is possible in an emergency situation. They won't be allowed to regularly ice less than 18 skaters. If 2 dmen get hurt, are you going to play with 4 dmen because you can't afford to call someone up? What if a goalie gets hurt? You can't use an ebug every game.
For the Oilers less than 18 (20 with goalies) would be an emergency situation. It would be less than that only for injury issues, and i dont see an issue with using an ebug as much as we need to, just while another goalie is called up. The ebug doesnt even have to dress for the game.

I tend to agree with you that this seems off. I recall teams doing this after the deadline but not from day 1. But it is possible and it fits with Holland's comments. He said he doesn't forsee any trades coming. He could just be fibbing to keep his leverage, but maybe he doesn't feel spending assets to move out a guy like Foegele makes sense, or losing Yamamoto or Puljujarvi for peanuts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad