Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Kailer Yamamoto signs extension with Oilers (2 years, $3.1M)

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Waiving a player doesn't remove that player's cap hit unless the player is claimed. If he isn't claimed, he has to be sent down to open any cap space. There are no taxi squads anymore. If Foegele were sent down, the team would save 1.125 mil. That's the maximum possible. Min NHL salary + 375k. The current min salary is 750k.

Edmonton has about 300k in LTIR cap space left, assuming both Klefbom and Smith will remain on LTIR for the entire season. They only have 11 forwards signed, with 7 dmen and 2 goalies. Demoting a dman and signing McLeod to his QO doesn't get it done. Sure, you'll be cap compliant, but no team runs a 20 man roster. Injuries happen, and Edmonton would have only about 600k in LTIR space at most, with no spare players.

Players can only be placed on LTIR if they have a legitimate injury that warrants that status. Any player placed on LTIR has to miss a minimum of 10 games and 24 days. If McDavid gets hurt and has to miss 1 game, you aren't putting him on LTIR even if you could. If Edmonton were to try to place a player on LTIR who doesn't have a legitimate long term injury, the NHL would no doubt investigate it.

So playing with less than 20 isn't really an option, outside of an emergency situation.

The bottom line is that Edmonton has to move someone. They aren't going into the season with a 20 man roster.
"Clubs will not be required to Recall Players to maintain the minimum eighteen (18) skaters and
two (2) goaltenders on days which they do not play an NHL Game,"

So as long as the Oilers are cap compliant on opening day(October 11) they can place Smith and Klefbom on LTIR opening up 6.3m in cap space before their opening game Oct 12th.
Puljujarvi gets traded for picks/waiver eligible prospects and Foegle, Shore, and Ryan get waived(paper shuffle). No loss if any of them get claimed

Reactions: VainGretzky

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
"Clubs will not be required to Recall Players to maintain the minimum eighteen (18) skaters and
two (2) goaltenders on days which they do not play an NHL Game,"

So as long as the Oilers are cap compliant on opening day(October 11) they can place Smith and Klefbom on LTIR opening up 6.3m in cap space before their opening game Oct 12th.
Puljujarvi gets traded for picks/waiver eligible prospects and Foegle, Shore, and Ryan get waived(paper shuffle). No loss if any of them get claimed
Note the bolded. Teams can't ice less than 20 players for games unless it's an emergency (ie. you have 20 players and someone gets hurt in warmups).

Yes, trading Puljujarvi would help. My point has been that Edmonton has to make a move. Simply being cap compliant won't matter if you don't have enough players actually on the roster.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Note the bolded. Teams can't ice less than 20 players for games unless it's an emergency (ie. you have 20 players and someone gets hurt in warmups).

Yes, trading Puljujarvi would help. My point has been that Edmonton has to make a move. Simply being cap compliant won't matter if you don't have enough players actually on the roster.
Agreed that they do have to make a move(most likely Puljujarvi.) Teams always waive(paper shuffle) players right before the season to allow the LTIR to kick in. After midnight they just recall them to ice a full roster

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I don't disagree... but if you disagree with the name, take it up with these guys. I didn't invent the name.

It looks like it's one person and the first sentence of his bio is "I like to make things up"...

Enjoy your rum and Coke though!

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It looks like it's one person and the first sentence of his bio is "I like to make things up"...

Enjoy your rum and Coke though!

Ah I didn't catch that. Good call.

Either way, that guy's take was a bit off.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Don’t like this signing at all. This is Edmontons season with Yamamoto on and off the ice.

DE6913BD-E97C-470D-AEA8-15AE67FFE007.jpeg

10010B02-3DDA-480C-85AF-3CFB44BADBF6.jpeg

Yamamoto provides no meaningful impact. Offensively Edmonton is a little worse when he’s playing . But edmontons defensive performance falls off a cliff when Yamamoto is out there.

Not to mention, he makes every player he plays with worse.

5857AABD-AC1D-42F4-9A41-BBC0FC40245D.jpeg

Sure looks to me like a desperate signing. Counting goals and not building a proper team. Because this player is a liability, not a top 6er.

Bad contract.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Man what is going on with him. He literally does nothing for that line. Not a threat to score. 3 SOG in 3 GP so back to not shooting much. JP offensively nothing going either. Our right side is looking incredibly weak.
God bless hyman and his Play this year.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I keep thinking he's on the verge of a breakout, but it never happens. He just turned 24.

The Sabres' Casey Mittelstadt turns 24 in Nov, and appears to have finally developed into the player we expected. Probably too early to write Kailer off yet, but the clock is ticking.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
I keep thinking he's on the verge of a breakout, but it never happens. He just turned 24.

The Sabres' Casey Mittelstadt turns 24 in Nov, and appears to have finally developed into the player we expected. Probably too early to write Kailer off yet, but the clock is ticking.
Not writting him off it's with the quality of center available for him or JP they get very little results

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Not writting him off it's with the quality of center available for him or JP they get very little results
Has he mostly been with Kane and McD? No excuses there. Best player on the planet plus a winger whose play style you'd think would free up some ice for Kailer.

As a way-undersized, offense-first winger, you really can't ask for a better situation in which to produce.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Has he mostly been with Kane and McD? No excuses there. Best player on the planet plus a winger whose play style you'd think would free up some ice for Kailer.

As a way-undersized, offense-first winger, you really can't ask for a better situation in which to produce.

I wouldn't call Yamo an offense-first winger. He really isn't that skilled. He's more of a complementary winger.

He used to be decent at that too since he did a good job using his body positioning to win a bunch of puck battles, but now he just falls over from the slightest contact.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
I wouldn't call Yamo an offense-first winger. He really isn't that skilled. He's more of a complementary winger.

He used to be decent at that too since he did a good job using his body positioning to win a bunch of puck battles, but now he just falls over from the slightest contact.
Honestly felt he had more skill to give. But honestly he's such a streaky player.
His streaks come at the perfect time for fans which is the last couple ends of seasons. We're waiting for that player to start the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad