Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Connor Brown signs with the Oilers (1 years, $775k + $3.225M bonuses)

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
They also have this German guy......the guy who made the comment must have been trolling.
Calgary fan, and you’d likely get a closer balance of people going for Hughes/Draisaitl than you would McDavid VS. anyone on the Devils. Hence why he’s the one who tips the scales

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Solid and underrated player, not surprised. He's close friends with Hyman, and he was Connor's teammate in junior. He will fit in well there. Always liked the player and like this deal also.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Don't see a great tweet to quote, but reports are the full $3.225m performance bonus threshold is Connor Brown playing 10 games.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Overall I think the Oilers got a little weaker from the team they took into the playoffs.

Upgraded RW with Connor Brown. No question.

Lost a good bottom six center in Bjugstadt. Lost a good bottom six power forward in Kostin. That's significant.

Much depends on internal growth from homegrown players like Holloway and Broberg and the reemergence of Campbell. Despite his bad regular season he should have been the relegated starter halfway through the LA series.

Woodcroft shit the bed with the goaltending decisions and Vegas picked apart his man-on-man defensive scheme.

A full season from Ekholm likely stabilizes the teams defense.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Overall I think the Oilers got a little weaker from the team they took into the playoffs.

Upgraded RW with Connor Brown. No question.

Lost a good bottom six center in Bjugstadt. Lost a good bottom six power forward in Kostin. That's significant.

Much depends on internal growth from homegrown players like Holloway and Broberg and the reemergence of Campbell. Despite his bad regular season he should have been the relegated starter halfway through the LA series.

Woodcroft shit the bed with the goaltending decisions and Vegas picked apart his man-on-man defensive scheme.

A full season from Ekholm likely stabilizes the teams defense.

Oilers need to hit the trade deadline well. Honestly come trade deadline, would you trade Ceci and a 1st for Tanev retained?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Oilers need to hit the trade deadline well. Honestly come trade deadline, would you trade Ceci and a 1st for Tanev retained?
Tanev would be a huge add if his game holds up. I'd say he had a down year.

I don't know. Year one of Ceci was great. Year two of Ceci wasn't great.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I can think of 2 good arguments for Edmonton's top 6 over NJ's...

He’s obviously trying to get a reaction out of people. The Oilers top 6 is quite easily the best in the league.

It’s goaltending, adding another top 4 RHD to play with Nurse (of the ilk that Ekholm on the left side did for Bouchard), and ensuring quality bottom 6 contributions are clear areas to focus on for the Oilers.

Getting Janmark and Ryan back was a good start. Both are reliable and good pros in the bottom 6. I wanted to keep Kostin and Bjugstad would have been great but just don’t have the cap space for it. Brown at his cap hit this year is great value to add especially if he’s healthy and able to contribute in the top 6

Oilers really need some of those young forward prospects to hit. Holloway, Lavoie, Bourgault, Petrov, Tullio, Savoie, etc. Even just 1 of them securing a spot to start and maybe another one stepping up as a depth option during the season would be huge.

• Haha
Reactions: Three On Zero

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
4 games left until he puts the Oilers 3.25M in the hole next season

How does he look?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He may not be an NHL player right now. Marginal at best. Not sure if it’s still recovery/conditioning or if this is just who he is now post-injury. Tough for the guy but this is looking like a bet gone bad early on here.

I wouldn’t be too anxious to get him to that magic mark and sinking another $3.25 million into dead space next year. Lord knows the Oilers could use it elsewhere. They should waive him and bury him soon. A guy like Lavoie would not be any worse in the line-up.

Another classic genius Holland contract. “I want this guy who hasn’t played hockey in a year so bad that I’m going to poison our own cap a year down the road.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He may not be an NHL player right now. Marginal at best. Not sure if it’s still recovery/conditioning or if this is just who he is now post-injury. Tough for the guy but this is looking like a bet gone bad early on here.

I wouldn’t be too anxious to get him to that magic mark and sinking another $3.25 million into dead space next year. Lord knows the Oilers could use it elsewhere. They should waive him and bury him soon. A guy like Lavoie would not be any worse in the line-up.

The issue is - I don't think it was ever a merit based 10 games.

He definitely had higher (or similar) offers to 775K and Holland offered him 1 year x 4M to convince him to join Edmonton. They structured it in a way where Edmonton could afford it as a favour to Edmonton - but the 4M was most likely promised to Brown to sign there.

Sending him down probably breaks that handshake agreement. I highly doubt Brown signs there if it's 1 x 775k and we have the option to send you down on Game 9. I think the 10 games was solely placed because it's the minimum bonus requirements you could give.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
4 games left until he puts the Oilers 3.25M in the hole next season

How does he look?
Not worth the cap carry over. I 100% would waive him now and see if he can get better a month or 2 down the road. No sense having the cap carry over if he isn't playing like an impact player.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Not worth the cap carry over. I 100% would waive him now and see if he can get better a month or 2 down the road. No sense having the cap carry over if he isn't playing like an impact player.

See my earlier post regarding this:

The issue is - I don't think it was ever a merit based 10 games.

He definitely had higher (or similar) offers to 775K and Holland offered him 1 year x 4M to convince him to join Edmonton. They structured it in a way where Edmonton could afford it as a favour to Edmonton - but the 4M was most likely promised to Brown to sign there.

Sending him down probably breaks that handshake agreement. I highly doubt Brown signs there if it's 1 x 775k and we have the option to send you down on Game 9. I think the 10 games was solely placed because it's the minimum bonus requirements you could give.

I mean sure, I guess the Oilers can waive him because it was a handshake agreement instead of on the contract but then no player ever does any favours for the Oilers again.

Waiving him and sending him to the minors for the rest of the year not only robs him of 3M, but also depreciates his future income potential because no one gets to see him against NHL talent for nearly 12 months by the time he starts his next contract - it basically tells the league this guy’s done.

There were reports that Brown had 1 year ~3Mish offers outright from other teams but likely chose Edmonton because Holland said we’ll give you 4M, we just need to structure it as a bonus so we can fit it into our cap - and gave his word he would honour it regardless of performance.

It’s highly unlikely Brown would sign any performance based deal (even 10GP) over a flat 3M deal unless it was guaranteed - why risk millions of dollars and the possibility the team can just waive you after 9 games and bury you to hurt not only your year and wallet but your future earnings for at most 1M more?

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
See my earlier post regarding this:

I mean sure, I guess the Oilers can waive him because it was a handshake agreement instead of on the contract but then no player ever does any favours for the Oilers again.

Waiving him and sending him to the minors for the rest of the year not only robs him of 3M, but also depreciates his future income potential because no one gets to see him against NHL talent for nearly 12 months by the time he starts his next contract - it basically tells the league this guy’s done.

There were reports that Brown had 1 year ~3Mish offers outright from other teams but likely chose Edmonton because Holland said we’ll give you 4M, we just need to structure it as a bonus so we can fit it into our cap - and gave his word he would honour it regardless of performance.

It’s highly unlikely Brown would sign any performance based deal (even 10GP) over a flat 3M deal unless it was guaranteed - why risk millions of dollars and the possibility the team can just waive you after 9 games and bury you to hurt not only your year and wallet but your future earnings for at most 1M more?

Eh, it’s a business and he knew the risks though. I wouldn’t say it was a “favour”. Why would he sign in Edmonton if he was guaranteed money elsewhere without a bonus? Because he likely figured he could max out his stats a la Hyman and RNH did last year and that could lead to a bigger contract. Other players would still do “favours” for the team in the same way if they think the risk is worth the reward. But if he can’t play well enough to justify the 10 games and bonus hit then that’s on him.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Why not announce outright to players that you don't want them signing for your team? Team has made it's bed don't punish Brown for it.

Reactions: elitepete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad