Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Dominik Kahun signs with the Oilers (1 year, $975K)

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
If so, they’ll have added Barrie, Turris, Ennis, Puljuarvi and Kahun for a combined, what, $8.5m?

Exactly the type of additions they should be making. All low risk, all relatively high reward. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if they get 4 40 point guys in that group.

Hated the AA trade from day 1 and wouldn’t have handled Chiasson and the goalies in quite the same way... but, all in all, I’ve thought he handled most things quite well.

Holland has a weak spot when it comes to Yzerman, his prodigee. The Kyle Quincey trade was terrible for the Red Wings too way back when we got him from Tampa at the deadline.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Damn secretly hoped he would take a 1 year 900k deal with Toronto and put up 45ish points in AJs role. Oilers gonna be getting a game if he signs there

You guys can stick with superstar Thornton. As Dubas said recently, Thornton is still "a high end centre who can drive the play"...

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Puljujarvi's defensive game isn't actually all that bad and Ennis is a battler.

If we saw an Ennis-Turris-Puljujarvi 3rd line I think they'd do fine. Definitely not a shutdown line but they'd be ok.

That's how I want JP to restart his NHL career. He's going to be with 2 skilled guys. He can't just be handed a first line spot. At least he said he's willing to battle for it

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Which line gets the D-Zone starts and matches up against the other team’s scoring lines? What do the two forward PK units look like? Just curious about how this shakes out in the tough assignments areas.

I would put the Nuge - Drai - Yamo line against the other team's scoring lines, they seem to produce regardless. (And they were very good defensively).

Khaira, Archibald, Nuge, and Haas are all good pkers, and part of the reason why our pk was top-5 in the league last year. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are also solid btw, and could get a crack at it. Draisaitl is also a solid pker, but it might be better to save his minutes for 5v5.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
4th team in 3 seasons, something is off with this guy and it's not his play

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That would be a good signing for the Oilers. Makes sense Draisaitl would lure one of his buddies to the Oilers . He'd be an improvement .

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Edmonton looking good up front tbh.

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Kassian
Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Ennis - Turris - Puljujarvi
Neal - Khaira - Chiasson
I see three or guys that can play two way hockey. The rest are defensive liabilities. They will score a lot and the PP will be better they will likely be out-chanced every game

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I see three or guys that can play two way hockey. The rest are defensive liabilities. They will score a lot and the PP will be better they will likely be out-chanced every game

Some posters probably don't know where the Oilers were at the stoppage of last season and how the team was constructed.

The Oilers were second in the Pacific division and only three points back of the Division leading Vegas Golden Knights. They were fifth in the west overall.

The Oilers had the league's #1 Powerplay. They had the #2 PK.

When you break down where all of those goals were coming from on the Oilers you'll see that there were around 4 guys doing all the scoring and the rest were almost non-existent. The Oilers had some good defensive players who were among the leagues best on the penalty kill. However at 5v5 their bottom two lines had their heads caved in. When your 3rd and 4th lines cannot be counted upon to get the puck out of your zone a coach will tend to overplay the top two lines to compensate. And that is exactly what Tippett did.

What Holland has done is to improve the forward lines and try and get some secondary scoring.

His lowball offer to Taylor Hall should show you two things; the Oilers have very little cap room to deal with and that Holland is keenly aware of the scoring imbalance among the forwards. So adding a player like Kahun very cheap is precisely the kind of move a GM should make with the cap and the players he has on his roster.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Some posters probably don't know where the Oilers were at the stoppage of last season and how the team was constructed.

The Oilers were second in the Pacific division and only three points back of the Division leading Vegas Golden Knights. They were fifth in the west overall.

When you break down where all of those goals were coming from on the Oilers you'll see that there were around 4 guys doing all the scoring and the rest were almost non-existent. The Oilers had some good defensive players who were among the leagues best on the penalty kill. However at 5v5 their bottom two lines had their heads caved in. When your 3rd and 4th lines cannot be counted upon to get the puck out of your zone a coach will tend to overplay the top two lines to compensate. And that is exactly what Tippett did.

What Holland has done is to improve the forward lines and try and get some secondary scoring.

His lowball offer to Taylor Hall should show you two things; the Oilers have very little cap room to deal with and that Holland is keenly aware of the scoring imbalance among the forwards. So adding a player like Kahun very cheap is precisely the kind of move a GM should make with the cap and the players he has on his roster.
Exactly. Adding Kahun, along with Turris, Barrie, bringing back Ennis and a hopefully a motivated and improved Pulujarvi could make the Oilers one of the most dangerous offensive teams in the league. I expect him to be fishing for an upgrade in net via trade as the season progresses and teams drop from playoff contention as well. If he manages to fill that gap, this is going to be a good team most likely.

Reactions: TFHockey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Good point.

It doesn't matter if your bottom 6 is getting outscored 30-10 or 40-20 over the course of the season, they're still giving the same amount back. The new bottom six - especially if we bring in Kahun - might give back a little bit more than they create, but it'll still be a huge improvement over having Riley Sheahan as our 3C.

ElTiburon4711

Draisaitl and Kahun defenitely had some fun those days. :popcorn: :D

Kahun:
2009-2010 - Mannheimer ERC U16 - Schüler Bundesliga - 27 Games / 56 Goals / 70 Assists / 126 Points
2010-2011 - Mannheimer ERC U16 - Schüler Bundesliga - 30 Games / 69 Goals / 137 Assists / 206 Points

Draisaitl:
2009-2010 - Mannheimer ERC U16 - Schüler Bundesliga - 27 Games / 48 Goals / 55 Assists / 103 Points
2010-2011 - Mannheimer ERC U16 - Schüler Bundesliga - 29 Games / 97 Goals / 95 Assists / 192 Points

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Kahun is my favourite guy available. Shouldn't be expensive and very versatile.

Yeah, I was going to comment that as I go down the list of available players, he's the most complete player left who I could see signing for under $2M AAV. Would love for the Canucks to pick him up.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
If you sign him Edmonton as a pens fan I can tell you that he is a top 9 player. Isn't a dumb player maybe could play beside McDavid and you guys would be happy.

Are coach didn't like him and he's openly spoke about that basically. He enjoyed buffalo.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you sign him Edmonton as a pens fan I can tell you that he is a top 9 player. Isn't a dumb player maybe could play beside McDavid and you guys would be happy.

Are coach didn't like him and he's openly spoke about that basically. He enjoyed buffalo.

Tippett did a pretty good job of putting guys in appropriate roles for them to succeed. Didn't mess around making Yamamoto "earn it" on the 4th line, he put him with talent straight away.

I'd imagine Kahun would get a good long look with McDavid. The RNH-Drai-Yamamoto line was so damn good, it makes no sense not to put them back together if we can add a guy I consider a 2nd liner like Kahun.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Yeah, I was going to comment that as I go down the list of available players, he's the most complete player left who I could see signing for under $2M AAV. Would love for the Canucks to pick him up.
Delete.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Except the Oilers are going to need him to sign for league minimum though. They still have Bear to sign and available cap space is going to mean they need to sweeten the pot for any of their cap dumps.

They will have Klefbom in LTIR, probably for the entire year, so they'll have the room to sign someone, albeit for a bargain contract.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad