Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Dominik Kahun signs with the Oilers (1 year, $975K)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kahun's thrown 18 career hits in 138 NHL games. He may have too short a leash to really rack up the points. If he's not producing he'll drive Tippett nuts. If he is, then it's easy to forgive the lack of physicality.

Any time he slumps it'll be too tempting to slide him down for Ennis' responsible game that every coach loves.
That's fine. Ennis, Neal, Nygard or even Chiasson can be bumped up to top 6 LW for stretches if Kahun doesn't work out. There is also Tyler Benson trying to crack the roster. Oilers could also be in the mix for Taylor Hall in the offseason if no one clicks

Reactions: Bevans

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
That's fine. Ennis, Neal, Nygard or even Chiasson can be bumped up to top 6 LW for stretches if Kahun doesn't work out. There is also Tyler Benson trying to crack the roster. Oilers could also be in the mix for Taylor Hall in the offseason if no one clicks

Agreed, except maaaybe that Hall part.

Reactions: HabsQC

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Agreed, except maaaybe that Hall part.
Fair enough re Hall. When you are making less than a million, media, fans and maybe even the coaches would be a lot more forgiving. Kahun may have the upper hand initially but he is not inked to be top 6 LW on the team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The forward group is a lot better. I think you're better in the aggregate, but I'm much higher on Klefbom than most. I think he's really underrated. The ability of another defender to play those shutdown minutes and whether or not McDavid and Draisaitl play a stronger 200 foot game will determine whether the Oilers are better. If those 2 things happen I think you could be as good as 3rd best in the West. If neither of them do I could see this team being somewhere between 6-10.

While it's true that Klefbom is underrated WHEN HEALTHY, he was really inconsistent last season probably due to playing injured AGAIN so while he did eat up a lot of minutes (boosted by playing a ton of PP minutes), he struggled handling them especially later in the season so I'm not sure if they're losing that much with the version of Klefbom we saw last year.

Also, Nurse and Bear were the top pairing at even strength so I don't think their role will change that much.
Klefbom is a loss for sure but I don't think it'll be as big a loss as some seem to think it'll be and the Oilers puck moving improved drastically with him out and Barrie in.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
While it's true that Klefbom is underrated WHEN HEALTHY, he was really inconsistent last season probably due to playing injured AGAIN so while he did eat up a lot of minutes (boosted by playing a ton of PP minutes), he struggled handling them especially later in the season so I'm not sure if they're losing that much with the version of Klefbom we saw last year.

Also, Nurse and Bear were the top pairing at even strength so I don't think their role will change that much.
Klefbom is a loss for sure but I don't think it'll be as big a loss as some seem to think it'll be and the Oilers puck moving improved drastically with him out and Barrie in.

Staples made a similar comment on the Cult of Hockey. He feels that Caleb Jones is the equal to an injured Klefbom, so we won't miss much compared to last year. Is Jones really a top four guy? We are about to find out next season.

For the first time the Oilers have some depth on the back end and some real talent emerging from drafted defensemen.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Who said useless??

You did? haha

50 points may be a stretch. Useless player who if he finds some NHL level chemistry with a top guy could get 50 but let's not forget he didjt find thay chemistry in Pittsburgh with malkin or sid. I watched him play alot in Pittsburgh and he was decent. Either way for the price tag this is a good signing

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
nothing like twitter users with fewer followers than me to make a point

just saying for self amusement--we entered the bizarro world a few hours ago

What’s your point?

JTS is a muppett, the guy tries to pass his crap opinions as credible but he’s the definition of what his tweet there is about.

I should go back and find his little 1-10 points he made a few weeks ago, of which something like numbers 4-7 were driving home the fact that Jesse wasn’t going to be signing with the Oilers. Whoops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad